Menu

Tell me again...why should I get a Mac?

Instead of a pc? Just can't get over the pricetag...and then there are the "extras" like iWork or Office for Mac. And then we'll need a new printer b/c our old one will not work with the Mac. So, talk me into it! (It won't take much :tongue_smilie:). Oh, and if I decide on the Mac...a few questions:

1. Macbook or Macbook Pro? 13 or 15in. screen?

2. iWorks or Office for Mac?

3. Not Mac related but...which printer? Will NOT go for another HP...:glare:

Thanks so much!

1. I don't have a Mac, but I want an iPad (really, really badly) - does that count?

2. I know those who have them LOVE them.

3. I hear (see #1)nobody bothers to write viruses for them, so you lack that headache.

4. I have an iPod and get *GREAT* customer service at my (not really all that) local Apple Store. I've also had to deal w/ the Apple Care people on the phone and they were wonderful and did more than they needed to help b/c of something I'd neglected to do. Customer service. What a concept.

I hope you get your answers.

Angie

who's happy w/ her Brother printer, if that helps at all.

We have Macs and DH's business is Mac consulting so I'm probably not unbiased when it comes to this question ;) I asked DH's opinion and he said it's a little difficult to make a recommendation without know what you want to do with the computer.

So...what will you be using the computer for?

differently. We heard all of the positive stories about Mac and bought a beautiful desktop - still pretty by the way.

For the first 2 years or so I really didn't get the hype. Yes, it was nice, but occasionally you get websites that don't match up so the text is jumbly (usually links). There are still lots of things that I don't know how to do - they aren't the same as the PC.

But now, I realize that we have had this machine for 3 years. It still is blazing fast. Never have had any viruses or shutdowns. That alone makes it worthwhile, if you ask me.

I would definitely recommend a Mac; it costs more, but my experience is that you get what you pay for. It does depend, though, on how you intend to use it.

The MacBook (which has a 13-inch screen) would probably be better; the bigger screen is nice, but there's not much of a difference.

iWork is cheaper than Office, and I like using it better. However, though it can export to Office format, there can be issues with PC compatibility.

There might be discounts on some printers when you buy your Mac, but I don't know anything beyond that.

-13-yo DS

This computer would be primarily for ME. So, that means I would have all of my homeschool related stuff on there (files, programs, lapbooks, etc.). I would also use it for photos/editing (thought not so much), videos, music, any school programs that we use. Oh...I wonder if I could use the Tell Me More Spanish from Auralog on there? Ugh...Anyway, we still have a semi-functional PC that the kids can use (although there isn't any sound :glare: broken sound card :glare:) and a friend is giving us her old desktop although I'm not sure what sort of shape it is in. Can I network all the computers together for printing and internet even though 2 are PCs and this will be a Mac? Hadn't thought about that. Anyone use a Kodak printer...heard it has the most inexpensive ink. Lots of questions, I know. Thanks!

I love my Mac. I don't worry about Viruses and Adware nearly as much as I did with my PC.

It never freezes up!

I can download itunes in a snap :-).

The video and photo editing software is so intuitive that even I can do it:lol:.

Whenever I have any questions at all, I walk into any mac store in any mall and get instant help for any kid working there rather than hanging on Dell help for hours on end!

T Can I network all the computers together for printing and internet even though 2 are PCs and this will be a Mac? Hadn't thought about that. Anyone use a Kodak printer...heard it has the most inexpensive ink. Lots of questions, I know. Thanks!

Yes, my mac is wirelessly connected to my printer. My kids' Dell is USB attached. Both operate seamlessly. We only use a Laser, so I can't help with the Kodak Color printers, sorry!

I don't recommend getting one unless you have a good reason. I got one because my Rosetta Stone programs were incompatible with Windows 7, so it was either spend an extra $450 on Rosetta or on the Mac.

I do have crashes and lock ups, but not half as often as I did with my PC. I have had a fatal crash that I lost everything. Many websites, programs, emails, files and wireless devices don't work. We got a new wireless printer and it doesn't work with it. There are simple things that I can't figure out how to do and there are no instructions on the web, like having it spell check a small portion of a document. There are chronic problems that are unsolvable, like my web cam light turning on for no reason. I also hate Pages and the lack of having Word.

It is a fine computer, but I don't know if I would buy another one. I do like the ease of video editing and that I don't have to worry about viruses.

I recently purchased an iMac. It is a wonderful piece of machinery. I can't answer your question about which laptop. I would check the specs and maybe play with one at Best Buy or an Apple store. It is faster, downloads faster, easier to install programs and handles pictures and video better than my pc with the included iLife suite. Be sure to take advantage of their education store pricing (also good in a brick and mortar Apple store) it applies to homeschoolers. If you buy between now and Sept ? (roughly Labor Day) you can get a rebate of up to $199 on any iPod or iPod touch making many of them free.

If you are used to Office you may wish to keep that (even though it is the more expensive of the two) the Mac version will create documents that can be read by your PC and can read docs created by the PC. MSOffice has a deal where if you buy Office between now and November you can upgrade to their 2011 for Mac version for free.

iWorks can read docs from a PC and from Office, I think it can even save docs that can be read by a PC.

I have a Canon MP620 hooked up to a wireless network (it can also be hooked up directly) and it works beautifully with both my PC and Mac. It is also a scanner/photocopier. Bit of an ink sucker but otherwise wonderful. Currently around $100 on Amazon but I've bought it for closer to 75 at Best Buy in the last 6 months.

ETA: Forgot to add that most of what I use for homeschooling has Mac versions, many were included on the original disc, I think the only failures I expected were a Spelling Power disc and Homeschool Tracker. I don't know of any good homeschool tracking software for the Mac but there are planners for reg schools that could be adapted.

Edited by JumpedIntoTheDeepEndFirst

I

I do have crashes and lock ups, but not half as often as I did with my PC. I have had a fatal crash that I lost everything. Many websites, programs, emails, files and wireless devices don't work. We got a new wireless printer and it doesn't work with it. There are simple things that I can't figure out how to do and there are no instructions on the web, like having it spell check a small portion of a document. There are chronic problems that are unsolvable, like my web cam light turning on for no reason. I also hate Pages and the lack of having Word.

It is a fine computer, but I don't know if I would buy another one. I do like the ease of video editing and that I don't have to worry about viruses.

I think you are having user error problems. Most websites are designed ON Macs, so if you can't see them, you may have your settings done incorrectly. I've NEVER in 5 years had a problem with one single email or file. Anything (even SPSS printouts can be opened in google docs).

Spell check small portions is easy, just highlight the portion you want :) checked. AND, you can always get Word -- educational discounts make it very affordable if that is your preference. I have it through my University.

Windows suck.

I was never able to get Rosetta Stone to work on my PC. It was a breeze on my MacBook. I have had crashes of Safari (internet browser) but nothing, nothing like ANY version of Windows. No blue screen.

I am not a high end user. I do mostly internet stuff and my iPod stuff. That's it.

Spell check small portions is easy, just highlight the portion you want :) checked.

I have tried that; it doesn't work for me.

I wouldn't doubt I have user error. ;) I also wouldn't doubt that I just got a lemon! The techs at the Mac store said they had never heard of anyone having a crash like I did where it would not even boot. All I did was an update that popped up from Mac. It never rebooted. They had no explanation.

The other day someone sent me 3 different versions of a file and none would open. They even sent me a Page document and my computer told me my version of Pages was too old to open her document. My computer is less that 2 years old!!

I have tried that; it doesn't work for me.

I wouldn't doubt I have user error. ;) I also wouldn't doubt that I just got a lemon! The techs at the Mac store said they had never heard of anyone having a crash like I did where it would not even boot. All I did was an update that popped up from Mac. It never rebooted. They had no explanation.

The other day someone sent me 3 different versions of a file and none would open. They even sent me a Page document and my computer told me my version of Pages was too old to open her document. My computer is less that 2 years old!!

Oh that stinks BIG TIME! I'm sorry!!! And yes, older versions may not open new versions. That happens in Word, too. The easiest way around that is to open up documents in google docs; though you have to cut and paste into your version, then.

I love our Macs - we have the iMac and MacBook Pro. My mom has the MacBook, and it's a good machine, but I wanted a bigger screen (just the 2 inches seems to make a big difference to me visually), and it's a bit faster, though I probably only do enough on it that I would really need the MacBook. But, if you are doing most of your media on the Mac too, and the MacBook/MacBook Pro would be your only, you may want to get the Pro. Do you have an Apple store nearby? They are super helpful (and not on commission, which to me is helpful because I never felt they were trying to sell me more than I needed). I did my research there with them and then ordered online through the Apple Education part of their store and got a discount (I could do it as a homeschooler but it was trickier on-line, but dh teaches, so we used his school/district as it was easier).

I use iWork all the time. I thought I would miss Office & Publisher, but once I got past the first hurdle (making my assignment strips/cards for daily work) and figured out how to make them on the Mac, it was fine. I have never looked back. The iLife suite (which I think comes preinstalled - at least it does on the Pro) is needed too - iPhoto, iMovie, iWeb and Garage Band (which we haven't yet figured out, but I'm guessing once the boys do, they'll be all over that!).

I can't help you on the printer as we have an HP and are fine with it. We found a really cool guy at Staples on day that explained pretty much every printer on the market to us that met our requirements (print, photocopy, double-sided) and we decided from there.

Have fun shopping and deciding - I am in love with our Macs. I think dh wishes he could convert for work, but he often has his students do projects in PowerPoint, and because they are graphic heavy for math drawings, they don't always convert over the easiest. I know at home we won't ever go back to PC.

I love our Macs - we have the iMac and MacBook Pro.

Have fun shopping and deciding - I am in love with our Macs. I think dh wishes he could convert for work, but he often has his students do projects in PowerPoint, and because they are graphic heavy for math drawings, they don't always convert over the easiest. I know at home we won't ever go back to PC.

Hmmmmm... my PowerPoint program has no problem converting Engineering and stats stuff back and forth. Does he use the latest edition? I've never had a problem running MS PP on the Mac.

Instead of a pc? Just can't get over the pricetag...and then there are the "extras" like iWork or Office for Mac. And then we'll need a new printer b/c our old one will not work with the Mac. So, talk me into it! (It won't take much :tongue_smilie:). Oh, and if I decide on the Mac...a few questions:

Thanks so much!

Haha. You sound like my dh. He went back and forth for several months and before we finally got an iMac. We really like it.

We switched to Mac a few months ago and will never buy a pc again! We got a 13" MacBook pro. No virus, super fast, no pop ups. I love how easy it is to figure out & find what you need.

Also, we just bought iworks on Amazon for $30.00 (it is new not used). All the programs for Mac are much cheaper than for pc.

Hmmmmm... my PowerPoint program has no problem converting Engineering and stats stuff back and forth. Does he use the latest edition? I've never had a problem running MS PP on the Mac.

The times we have tested it was with the 2003 version of Office. We have not tried now that he has upgraded to 2007. But, a lot of what he does is hand-drawn (he hasn't yet found the perfect geometry program for drawing diagrams/figures/graphs). He may still switch eventually (money is another issue right now anyway), but that's his biggest concern is simply making sure student work will display properly on his computer (they do "oral" proof projects each year).

I am in love with Mac. My husband teases me that Mac is my boyfriend. I have converted at least two friends to Macs. I used to own a Dell, and the difference is just crazy. I agree with Stacey--everything works better on a Mac!!

ETA: I have iWorks, and I love it. Pages can convert your documents to a pdf file or a Word file, no problem. And it is super easy to use!

I am in love with Mac. My husband teases me that Mac is my boyfriend. I have converted at least two friends to Macs. I used to own a Dell, and the difference is just crazy. I agree with Stacey--everything works better on a Mac!!

ETA: I have iWorks, and I love it. Pages can convert your documents to a pdf file or a Word file, no problem. And it is super easy to use!

:iagree: I'm a new mac owner. I got a mac mini. :D I hate using dh's PC when mine's being used by the kids. His PC is slower, cumbersome, finicky, temperamental, inconsistent, s l o w e r . . . .

I've had a mac for 2 months.

Dh was a Mac user before I ever met him - actually he was an Apple product user, Macs hadn't been invented yet.:D But, when we needed a new computer he wouldn't look at anything but Macs (a lightning strike to our house took out all our electronics back in the early 90s and insurance covered the cost of replacing the computer). I've bought two used Macs (both from Stacey in LA) and they both work great. I don't know anything about PCs, but I love my Macs.

Ds21 used to work at Best Buy and says the Kodak printers are junk - don't buy one. Dh's father had a Kodak printer that used to give him fits.

Definitely look for one used. We have two iMacs and two laptops (one Mac Book, one Mac Book Pro). We've bought all of them from e-bay at a fraction of the new cost. Dh's MBP, for example, was sold by a guy who bought brand-new with lots of upgrades, used it for a few months and decided to stay with his PC. He took a $700 hit and we got a great deal, including extras like Office for Mac. If you're patient you can find deals, many even still carrying AppleCare protection (which you can then extend). All of our Macs work great and have never had big, system-ending crashes. Little freeze-ups and crashes that necessitate a re-start happen occasionally, but the concept of needing someone to come and re-build the computer or to take the computer to a repair shop for weeks at a time, which seems to happen to my PC friends, is a foreign concept to this Mac user.

Now to your other questions . . . I have a 13-inch Mac Book. When dh bought it for me he tried to convince me to get the bigger screen (he has a 15 inch MBP and was salivating over the 17 inch), but I love the smallness and portability of the 13 inch. It's perfect for me. My nephew has the exact same computer but his is a MBP. Mine is actually faster and has more memory because of upgrades that the original purchaser bought, so the MacBook/Pro question can be more complex than just which is better. I do know that the Pro has a firewire connection and the MacBook does not, which is really only an issue if you want to transfer all of your files quickly. I have missed this feature when backing up my files.

We also have an iMac which is faster and has a really pretty huge flat screen. An iMac will definitely give you more bang for your buck than a laptop, but I love taking my Mac with me.

We have a wireless HP printer that all of the Mac are networked with and have had no problems with it. Much better than the Epsons that we fought with for years prior.

We have both iWorks and Office. Having used Office for longer, I personally like it better. I hear that the Mac version doesn't do as much as the PC version, but I've never used a PC so I have no idea. iWork is also very good, but I just haven't taken the time to really play with it and get used to it. It is nice to be able to convert and iWork file to an office file.

The iLife programs are fantastic and a must-have. I love iPhoto, and have made many dvd slideshows using iDvd and iMovie. I get asked all the time how I did them, and just smile and say "I have a Mac . . ."

I just got the 13" laptop. The educator discount on that was $100. (I took my letter from the county school system that acknowledges my notice of intent to home school as proof.)

I have a lot to learn about it, but so far I think the Mac is going to be more user-friendly and less frustrating. Someone else said the software struck them as "intuitive" - it felt that way to me, too.

Good luck!

I...Oh, and if I decide on the Mac...a few questions...

I just switched to an iMac from a Dell laptop and I love it!!! I will never go back to a PC again! It is super-fast and does everything I want it to do and more.

There is a bit of a learning curve when switching, but the Apple website has great tutorials for that (and many other tutorials as well). Usually, if I have a question that I can't quickly figure out I will Google it and get an answer faster than searching through the Apple site. I always used shortcuts on my PC so for me, it's just learning a few new ones.

I went with iWorks,as I decided to go Mac all-the-way! I bought iWorks factory-sealed from a Power Seller on eBay for $25 less than retail. I bought my MobileMe subscription (not necessary, but really cool, LOL) from either eBay or Amazon (I forgot) for about $40 less than retail!

The only software that didn't work for me was my HST+. Instead I went with Planbook, which seems to be a really good alternative, and the developer is lightening-fast at answering any technical questions (and I had a few)!

My printer was a Dell and will not work. I am going crazy without one but will be getting a new one this week, I hope. No advice there, as I will haven't even looked at them yet. I just need one that will print, scan, and copy. I don't print pictures on mine.

Let us know what you decide!

~Laurie

I so lust for a Mac.

A commuter sans a bazillion viruses, bug, twitches, and fits.

I adore my iPad and iPhone. In fact, THOSE alone are better than any PC I my opinion. I dread it when I have to turn on my PC to print off something or to use a CD. I am fairly proficient on a computer, I just hate PCs lack of use ability. I used to think it was just me being impatient until we got iPhone and now I have the wifi only iPad (not even 3G) and I KNOW even when buying brand new high end PCs, they were never this good. I long to see what must be heavenly use of a full apple computer.

I grew up with Macs, so I'm automatically biased towards them, but here are my personal experiences. :)

I bought a 13 inch Macbook in 2007. Cheapest one they offered. Macs do not get viruses and you do not need to buy any firewall/protection software - all you need for that is built in. I had applications crash on me, but I never once had the computer crash on me.

Until the hard drive died a month or two ago. Word to the wise, BACK UP your computer! Mac has a program called Time Machine which comes with any Mac with an OS of X and up. You can set up an external hard drive as your "time machine" and it will automatically back up whatever you tell it to back up. My problem was that I had been lazy about it. Thankfully I had viable backups from December, so I didn't lose *everything*. Once you have enough Time Machine backups you will be able to put all the info on a new computer/hard drive easily if you need to.

Downsides to the Mac: Pages doesn't have all the features I would like. However, I don't know if Word has them either, and I dislike Word. iWork is pretty amazing and worth the price. It's also much cheaper than Office for Mac.

I use my computer to write papers, browse the Internet, listen to music, and play some online games.

I did choose a Mac over a PC as a poor college student who was paying for her own computer, and PCs can be substantially cheaper. I never had any of the problems that my friends with PCs did. (Granted they were cheap Dells that had problems..all PCs are not created equal.)

We bought our dd a Macbook Pro when she graduated highschool. She loves it. It has never crashed and she hasn't had any software problems. She did take it in for something and it was promptly dealt with. I have gone into their store several times and have always had my questions answered so even I can understand:001_smile: The pro is kind of large and we purchased her an i-pad because it is more portable.