Menu

Help for dyslexia?

Guest SandiMB

Guest SandiMB

This is my first time to ever post a thread, or do anything like this but it's worth a shot. This is my first year homeschooling my son, age 8. He has dyslexia, as well as add. After 3 years in a public school, he was barely advancing and was going to be in a full time 2nd grade resource room. I REALLY need to start from the beginning! What workbooks should I use that are Orton-Gillingham based? :confused:

There are a lot of options out there. My youngest is dyslexic, but I didn't use the programs most commonly used by dyslexics.

My dd used

Headsprout with I See Sam readers

Funnix level 2 with Phonics for Reading 2

Phonics for Reading 3

lots of work with nonsense words

lots of timed repeated readings

Rewards Reading

She is going into 7th grade and has been reading at grade level since the end of 4th grade. The list I posted above is what we started in 2nd grade. At that point she knew all her letters (with b/d confusion) and could sound out any cvc words, but couldn't recognize any word on sight, not even her own name.

The programs I see most commonly recommended for dyslexics are:

Barton Reading - the cadillac of OG programs, very expensive, but it has everything and is dvd-based

Wilson Reading - another OG program

Recipe for Reading - probably the least expensive OG program

Abecedarian - a phonographix program

LiPS (would spell it out, but I don't remember what it stands for) - a Lindamood-Bell program that works on auditory processing and phonemic awareness

Visualizing and Verbalizing - a Lindamood-Bell program that works on comprehension

We use Barton Reading and Spelling, and it is very effective. It's scripted and has accompanying DVD's, so it's very easy to use. You can sell each level used for about $50 - $75 less than new, so it's not as expensive as it seems. My oldest sister sent her son to a private school for dyslexics for 9 years @ more than $25k per year, so that really puts the cost of Barton in perspective for me.

If a student can't pass part 3 of the student screening test on the Barton website, LiPS (Lindamood Bell Phonemic Sequencing, I think) is needed before beginning Barton or any other OG/phonics program. There are other products and activities that can help improve phonemic awareness, but LiPS is the fastest, most effective thing out there based on the research I did. You can buy the clinical kit and do the program at home even though it is more typically administered by a speech therapist or tutor.

This is my first time to ever post a thread, or do anything like this but it's worth a shot. This is my first year homeschooling my son, age 8. He has dyslexia, as well as add. After 3 years in a public school, he was barely advancing and was going to be in a full time 2nd grade resource room. I REALLY need to start from the beginning! What workbooks should I use that are Orton-Gillingham based? :confused:
Echoing what Lizzy Bee said.

Starting at the begining of reading goes before letters; letters represent sounds in words. If a child doesn't recognize or confuses sounds within words, reading becomes very difficult. If your son hasn't progress with reading after three years in public schools, I suggest you investigate more into his phonemic awareness.

I used part of LiPS before starting Barton. Barton's first level works exclusively on building phonemic awareness, but some children don't distinguish the sounds well enough to start with it. My son failed the third part of the Barton screen, so they directed me to LiPS. Here's a link that directs you to that screen http://www.bartonreading.com/students_long.html#screen

Neither Bartons nor LiPs is a workbook--they are multi-sensory programs.

Echoing what Lizzy Bee said.

Starting at the begining of reading goes before letters; letters represent sounds in words. If a child doesn't recognize or confuses sounds within words, reading becomes very difficult. If your son hasn't progress with reading after three years in public schools, I suggest you investigate more into his phonemic awareness.

I used part of LiPS before starting Barton. Barton's first level works exclusively on building phonemic awareness, but some children don't distinguish the sounds well enough to start with it. My son failed the third part of the Barton screen, so they directed me to LiPS. Here's a link that directs you to that screen http://www.bartonreading.com/students_long.html#screen

Neither Bartons nor LiPs is a workbook--they are multi-sensory programs.

I will second doing the Barton screening, even if you don't use Barton's you need to make sure this piece is in place.

Beyond that I would also try to figure out if the child can see words in their mind, see numbers and quantities in their minds and if they can remember or pick out details in stories. Seeing Stars works on seeing words in the mind, which helps with spelling. I personally don't naturally see letters, only pictures like a movie, and have been a poor speller all my life. Seeing Stars is helping both myself and my dd develop that ability. On Cloud Nine works on seeing Numbers and Quantities in the mind for math. Though I have found Right Start Math also develops that ability. I really love Right Start Math. Visualizing and Verbalizing helps develop the ability to see pictures in the mind, if you don't have that ability and/or use it to remember details if what you remember isn't detailed. All can be purchased from Gander publishing.

The road looks long right now, but one step at a time and you will get there.

Heather

I am an educational therapist and I echo the list that Angie mentioned. Some of them are very expensive sets but there are other programs like Explode the Code that you could start with until you can get the more expensive sets. I use How To Spell as well but there are other programs that are similar and would work just as well. Any of the Lindamood programs are wonderful and occasionally available on Ebay or here rarely.

Seeing Stars is their spelling program. Visualizing and Verbalizing is a definite for reading Comprehension. I haven't used the Barton Program because my training was in other programs and using specific techniques with many Educational Publishing Service materials and Orton Gillingham based materials. Multi-sensory is very helpful for dylexia. You might want to connect with the local International Dyslexia Association (IDA) in your area. They have local meetings and events with speakers and usually a once a year all day affair with speakers and experts in fields that are supportive of dsyslexia. I have enjoyed being involved with our local group. They are great for parent support as well. Check out their webpage. I don't have the link but just Google IDA. I know there are supportive people on the special needs part of this forum that will give you ideas as well.

Carolyn in Georgia

Thank you all SO MUCH! Im looking into both of the suggestions right now. Alos,..what is DD?

It doesn't look like I mentioned that you can use Seeing Star methods with another spelling program (AAS), so you don't have to buy the whole kit. I found the TM used on Amazon for around $30, but I waited for it to come up that cheap. I would assume that On Cloud Nine could be applied to any math program, and Visualizing and Verbalizing (VV) could be applied to any reading material, given they are by the same author and work with the same sort of ideas, but I don't know for sure yet.

I have also pick up a cheap manual of VV and plan to read it ASAP, but not sure exactly when I will get to it. In other words feel free to PM or e-mail me to ask if I have and if it can be used with any reading material.

Heather