Menu

Why do you/don't you like Saxon?

I think I wil buy Saxon and Lial's, then if one fails, I will have the other on hand and will continue with it. My mom said we will get the Art Reed's lectures and will buy a copy of Lial's to have on hand.

Algebra 1 is a review this year and I am trying to see if I have any learning gaps, SOS didn't do it's job for me. I am doing geometry as well and my mom said we will be doing either Saxon or TT for that. I hate being a bugger, but it's can get really confusing!!:001_smile:

Thanks for all the posts and help, and if anyone knows where I can get copies of Saxon cheap, please let me know!

P.S. Keep posting!

P.S.S. I won't be posting anymore math questions unless it's where I can find them for a cheaper price!:party:

I got two different Lial's books about a month ago from Amazon used. I paid .99 cents (Honestly) for one and & $7.00 for the other. They were both in almost perfect condition!

I just purchased a second edition Saxon Algebra 2 (second edition) for $5.00. I got the solution manual for $5.00 from another vendor. Between the solution manual and the odd answers in the back of the textbook, I have answers to everything but the even practice problems. I spent less than $18.00.

I don't think it is fair to judge any high school curriculum by the elementary books. parents have so many other options to teach with when they are proficient teachers of a subject, compared to when they are a bit rusty or are expecting the the student to self-teach. Also elementary students are a different type of learner as TWTM is so quick to point out. My youngest child was quite gifted in the maths, so I never used any elementary materials for math. My 10 year old started Algebra 1 back in the stone ages of homeschooling, when there were fewer options. I doubt I would use Saxon with an average elementary student, with all the choices available now.

But this is the High school board and we are talking about high school and self-education. And the OP is high school age, precocious and self-directed, but of fairly average math ability, and expected to self-teach with an affordable curriculum and required to be successful in a measurable way???

I should have said 2 hours to be grade level proficient at the HIGH SCHOOL level, especially anything that will be tested on the SAT, PSAT, ACT and AP exams. As most parents of highschool students soon realize and panic, is that there isn't enough time to devote to keeping the average student testable ready in all subjects.

Hard choices need to be made. For parents who are planning on junior college enrollment the choices are easier. Get copies of the freshman books and see what needs to be prepared for, breathe a sigh of relief and adjust. If looking at the big tests for the 4 year colleges...well...it's down right depressing. The TIME required to prep for these tests is BRUTAL.

Saxon Geometry is new. It wasn't out when I was homeschooling my children. I'm assuming it is still recommended to skip it, unless a student isn't going to finish advanced math??

LuvingLife,

My boys graduated years ago, and I am currently wanting to brush up on many of my skills and learn some things they were not interested in, or that we never had time for.

I jumped around with a lot of math curriculum, starting with Saxon and ending with it. One child was gifted, one was precocious and self-directed, but average. I had to learn math right along with them as I never learned it properly when a student myself. I have just restarted Saxon Algebra 2 for my review. I placed myself low and am aiming for speed and accuracy. The books were cheap (older edition) and answer keys and solution manuals are easy to get.

I'm very busy right now and not home much. I have ripped my book apart and just carry 1 lesson around with me and pull it out anytime I get stuck waiting somewhere. It beats doing crossword puzzles :-)

Lials is almost identical to Aufmann, I think, and more well known in the homeschool community. Does it come with software that generates unlimited problems? My children loved that feature, especially for word problems. When my math hater got serious about math, a few weeks before placement testing, he buckled down for hours a day with the software and accomplished amazing things in a very short time. When he got 5 problems right in a row, he moved on to the next lesson.

We kept an assortment of cheap used math textbooks without answer keys, as reference books to look up alternative ways of doing math, when we got stuck. Math was hard for us to learn on our own, but one of my sons and I did make it part way through calculus, before he decided that was as far as he wanted to go without a teacher. I'm hoping to review and make it through that calculus text myself :-)

Good luck, whatever you choose! :-)

Are you planning on junior college or more rigorous studies?

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I just purchased a second edition Saxon Algebra 2 (second edition) for $5.00. I got the solution manual for $5.00 from another vendor. Between the solution manual and the odd answers in the back of the textbook, I have answers to everything but the even practice problems. I spent less than $18.00.

I don't think it is fair to judge any high school curriculum by the elementary books. parents have so many other options to teach with when they are proficient teachers of a subject, compared to when they are a bit rusty or are expecting the the student to self-teach. Also elementary students are a different type of learner as TWTM is so quick to point out. My youngest child was quite gifted in the maths, so I never used any elementary materials for math. My 10 year old started Algebra 1 back in the stone ages of homeschooling, when there were fewer options. I doubt I would use Saxon with an average elementary student, with all the choices available now.

But this is the High school board and we are talking about high school and self-education. And the OP is high school age, precocious and self-directed, but of fairly average math ability, and expected to self-teach with an affordable curriculum and required to be successful in a measurable way???

I should have said 2 hours to be grade level proficient at the HIGH SCHOOL level, especially anything that will be tested on the SAT, PSAT, ACT and AP exams. As most parents of highschool students soon realize and panic, is that there isn't enough time to devote to keeping the average student testable ready in all subjects.

Hard choices need to be made. For parents who are planning on junior college enrollment the choices are easier. Get copies of the freshman books and see what needs to be prepared for, breathe a sigh of relief and adjust. If looking at the big tests for the 4 year colleges...well...it's down right depressing. The TIME required to prep for these tests is BRUTAL.

Saxon Geometry is new. It wasn't out when I was homeschooling my children. I'm assuming it is still recommended to skip it, unless a student isn't going to finish advanced math??

LuvingLife,

My boys graduated years ago, and I am currently wanting to brush up on many of my skills and learn some things they were not interested in, or that we never had time for.

I jumped around with a lot of math curriculum, starting with Saxon and ending with it. One child was gifted, one was precocious and self-directed, but average. I had to learn math right along with them as I never learned it properly when a student myself. I have just restarted Saxon Algebra 2 for my review. I placed myself low and am aiming for speed and accuracy. The books were cheap (older edition) and answer keys and solution manuals are easy to get.

I'm very busy right now and not home much. I have ripped my book apart and just carry 1 lesson around with me and pull it out anytime I get stuck waiting somewhere. It beats doing crossword puzzles :-)

Lials is almost identical to Aufmann, I think, and more well known in the homeschool community. Does it come with software that generates unlimited problems? My children loved that feature, especially for word problems. When my math hater got serious about math, a few weeks before placement testing, he buckled down for hours a day with the software and accomplished amazing things in a very short time. When he got 5 problems right in a row, he moved on to the next lesson.

We kept an assortment of cheap used math textbooks without answer keys, as reference books to look up alternative ways of doing math, when we got stuck. Math was hard for us to learn on our own, but one of my sons and I did make it part way through calculus, before he decided that was as far as he wanted to go without a teacher. I'm hoping to review and make it through that calculus text myself :-)

I agree with some of what you have posted but unless you are talking AP math classes I don't believe a student needs to devote 2 hours/day to be proficient. Perhaps once they get to Calculus, and perhaps for some curricula, but I disagree with it as a blanket statement for high school level math. If one of my children (in high school) was taking that long to complete their math it would be a sign that something was wrong (unless they loved math and were spending extra time on it because they enjoyed it). My children are very proficient (which I see in person but is also verified by standardized testing) but have not as yet had to devote 2 hours/day of time to math. I would love to say it's because they are prodigies or because I'm a brilliant math teacher but, sadly, it's not true, LOL.

Edited by Cheryl in SoCal

I think I wil buy Saxon and Lial's, then if one fails, I will have the other on hand and will continue with it. My mom said we will get the Art Reed's lectures and will buy a copy of Lial's to have on hand.

Algebra 1 is a review this year and I am trying to see if I have any learning gaps, SOS didn't do it's job for me. I am doing geometry as well and my mom said we will be doing either Saxon or TT for that. I hate being a bugger, but it's can get really confusing!!:001_smile:

Thanks for all the posts and help, and if anyone knows where I can get copies of Saxon cheap, please let me know!

P.S. Keep posting!

P.S.S. I won't be posting anymore math questions unless it's where I can find them for a cheaper price!:party:

Christian Book Distributors are the least expensive for new that I've found on the internet. I would strongly suggest getting the homeschool bundle AND the solutions manual. All problems are worked out step by step in the solutions manual. For used, I'd search the for sale section here and also check out other sources online.

What are "the big tests for the 4 year colleges"?

I do not get the panic about the SAT. If the skills have been mastered and the student is proficient in math, there is nothing to specifically study - mastering those skills should make them as automatic as swimming or riding a bike. For english, there is hardly anything you CAN study that much - reading a lot for ten years beats any vocabulary list drill by far.

Now granted, for an AP class you probably might need two hours a day consistently, but I would not describe this as "grade level" - the whole definition is that it is advanced and *beyond* grade level. OTOH, the AP is taken once per subject and then it's over - nobody needs to be AP-testable in all subjects at all points in time.

Did you make your students really study for twelve hours a day to earn six credits???

regentrude

Edited by regentrude

We DO use it and "like" it because it's easy. The boys sit down, do their time test, read their new concept, work through the problems (all the problems) and I check work at night. If they have a question, they ask me for clarification. If they are struggling in a specific area, we use the Supplemental Practice at the back of the book or I print problems from whatever online math helps source fits our needs at the time.

I did buy some fractions and decimals workbooks to supplement my ds2's work because he just wasn't getting it. He completed one page per day in the workbooks along with his Saxon assignment. I did the same thing with Geometry for ds1.

I've never done a lot of shopping for math curriculum - we use Saxon and will stick with it because I think that's generally a better plan than hopping around.

Did you make your students really study for twelve hours a day to earn six credits???

regentrude

Sigh! No I didn't make my children study 12 hours a day, and the college they attended didn't care about credits, SATs or AP or anything but their own placement tests, which my children did VERY well on. This has gotten too off topic, so I'm choosing not to defend my statements, as I don't think we are having productive conversation at this point and I think we are all way to busy to engage in unproductive posting.

I need to search the forum for answers to my own questions on self-educating myself :-)

I hope it's okay if I jump in with a question here. Are the DIVE cds the Art Reed cds, or are they two different things? If different, where can one buy Art Reed's? I tried googling but couldn't determine if DIVE was Reed, and only found Algebra 1/2 and up that specifically said Art Reed. Clear as mud? :)

Thanks!

Rhea

I Are the DIVE cds the Art Reed cds, or are they two different things? If different, where can one buy Art Reed's? I tried googling but couldn't determine if DIVE was Reed, and only found Algebra 1/2 and up that specifically said Art Reed. Clear as mud? :)

Thanks!

Rhea

http://www.diveintomath.com/pageDisplay.cfm?pageno=238ans&zpid=446&sesstime=now

http://www.homeschoolwithsaxon.com/

LuvingLife,

Long post, but lots of great info!:001_smile: That goes for all of the other posts too! Thanks for all of the help and info everybody!

Ok I have the gameplan for this year, my mom told me about it last night, I am going to use Lial's and Art Reed's dvd's as a review for Saxon, and I am going to be using Saxon algebra 2 and my mom is a little uncertain about what to use for geometry, but she is researching some things right now.

My mom said we are going to buy the Saxon student book, the TE, the SM, and the dvd's for math this year. I think that should work out for sure. I am very good at math, but I need the concepts broken down step by step to grasp it and then I can do math.

So I am going to try Lial's and Saxon and see which is better, I mean every curriculum has their strengths and weaknessess, I hope that at least one works for me!

Thanks everyone :grouphug:

Not sure if this has been mentioned because I haven't read many of the posts. :001_smile: BUT, I just received Art Reed's CDs for Saxon 2.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for mentioning these! We have the DIVE cd for Algebra 1 and dd has been using it. I just viewed Art Reed's sample lesson for his CD (lesson 101) and then the DIVE cd for the same lesson. Art Reed's method was so simple, so clear, so orderly. There was nothing wrong with the DIVE cd, it just left my brain feeling a little fuzzy. (And I know this material already.)

I had dd watch them and she now wants Mr. Reed's cd.

I watched her face during both lessons. Quite relaxed during Reed's, tension during DIVE.

Rhea

We love Art Reed's DVD's :)

For the question about Geometry - this is paraphrased from Art Reed's book, "Using John Saxon's Math Books."

While early Geometry terms start back in Math 54, the highschool Geometry begins in Algebra 2 (2nd or 3rd edition). Completing this will be the equivalent of the 1st semeter formal geometry. If you finish the 1st half of Advanced Mathematics, you would complete the 2nd semester of formal geometry. If you want to also do a separate geometry couse, he recommends not putting it between Algebra I and Algebra II because of the time lapse.

Just a side note since we are talking about Saxon math. I am a violin teacher/Suzuki violin teacher. Maybe one of the reasons I like Saxon is that it uses many of the same methodology for teaching and mastering concepts as the Suzuki method. Review is very important, and we use it to strengthen, master, and to learn new concepts. I don't believe in "drill and kill." That is, to me, a very different thing than review. jmo.

I can't comment on which one is better really, but correct me if I'm wrong. Don't the Dive CD's work out the problems that are in the book, while the Reed DVD's teach the concept and use different examples than what are in the book?

I believe you are right, and I like that the DIVE cd's work out the full answer, but I also like the way Reed teaches the concepts as well! So that can be confusing, but my mom is choosing the cd's/dvd's for me!

Which one do you prefer then?

I can't comment on which one is better really, but correct me if I'm wrong. Don't the Dive CD's work out the problems that are in the book, while the Reed DVD's teach the concept and use different examples than what are in the book?

I like Art Reed's voice better (not as monotone as DIVE) and also SEEING a teacher on the DVD.

Art Reed does NOT do the same exact problems as the Saxon texts. I like this! He also gives tips & hints not included in the Saxon lessons.

violinmom,

Thanks, I just watched one of Art Reed's dvd's, and DIVE dvd's, they are both really good, I think I am going to have my mom purchase both!

DIVE says that you can NOT resell your DIVE discs once completed. I don't like this policy. We borrowed DIVE algebra 1 for my older ds.

You may resell Art Reed's DVD's. :001_smile:

Edited by MIch elle
  • Like 1

I was looking at my dd's Saxon Algebra 1/2, and as I was studying it, I was wondering what the point is of doing EVERYTHING so incrementally, because in algebra, review is built in. Once you learn negative numbers, or exponents, etc., not to mention algebra itself, you are going to review in ad infinitum, so why be so incremental about it? When you are just beginning a new algebra concept, you need to do more than 2 problems to get the initial hang of it. When you are beginning negative numbers also, you need to do quite a few of those things to really get it. My other dd was well into Saxon algebra 1, after doing the 1/2, and still didn't really understand the negative numbers, I think because she hadn't really mastered the concepts when they were initially introduced, because the introduction was just that - an introduction to negative numbers. Very brief, and she needed some practice to cement it. I am saying this as a parent who has used Saxon with all my kids, but I am wondering if algebra needs to be taught incrementally, because, as I said, the review is built in. I did use Lial's algebra with my ds, and felt that the algebra taught in that was excellent; however, he could not go into Saxon algebra 2 after the Lial's because the books were just too different. I think that with the lower levels, as in Saxon 54 and 65, that they are fine, because so much review is provided for arithmetic concepts, but A Beka is very similar with lots of constant review, and A Beka gives more problems whenever a new concept is encountered. Just some thoughts which are probably not helpful for anybody.

I was looking at my dd's Saxon Algebra 1/2, and as I was studying it, I was wondering what the point is of doing EVERYTHING so incrementally, because in algebra, review is built in. Once you learn negative numbers, or exponents, etc., not to mention algebra itself, you are going to review in ad infinitum, so why be so incremental about it? When you are just beginning a new algebra concept, you need to do more than 2 problems to get the initial hang of it. When you are beginning negative numbers also, you need to do quite a few of those things to really get it. My other dd was well into Saxon algebra 1, after doing the 1/2, and still didn't really understand the negative numbers, I think because she hadn't really mastered the concepts when they were initially introduced, because the introduction was just that - an introduction to negative numbers. Very brief, and she needed some practice to cement it. I am saying this as a parent who has used Saxon with all my kids, but I am wondering if algebra needs to be taught incrementally, because, as I said, the review is built in. I did use Lial's algebra with my ds, and felt that the algebra taught in that was excellent; however, he could not go into Saxon algebra 2 after the Lial's because the books were just too different. I think that with the lower levels, as in Saxon 54 and 65, that they are fine, because so much review is provided for arithmetic concepts, but A Beka is very similar with lots of constant review, and A Beka gives more problems whenever a new concept is encountered. Just some thoughts which are probably not helpful for anybody.

I am going to try both books to see which is better. If I like Lial's, then I will stick with Lial's. But if I like Saxon, well then I will stick with Saxon. All I really want to do is stick with a program that will help me and teach me the concept in ways that I can understand. BOTH of these books do this! I will have to see which is better!:D

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I am going to try both books to see which is better. If I like Lial's, then I will stick with Lial's. But if I like Saxon, well then I will stick with Saxon. All I really want to do is stick with a program that will help me and teach me the concept in ways that I can understand. BOTH of these books do this! I will have to see which is better!:D

I think that's a great idea! That way you won't end up behind if one doesn't work well for you.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Thanks Cheryl!!

I can't wait! School starts next week for me!:001_smile:

I'm so glad everything has worked out for you:001_smile:

Most children-if the parent wants them to be proficient, at grade level-need to spend 2 hours a day on math, to accomplish that. To spend less than 2 hours usually means accepting less than proficiency or not reaching calculus/precalculus by 12th grade. .

Wow, I had no idea. For mathy dc, though, it can be more like an hour a day if they are not lollygagging. At least it is in our house & was for me, at least through Trig/pre-Calc. We haven't got to Calculus yet & I didn't take it. This is good to know, however, because my ds may be like that (hard to say now because he's not at the Algebra level yet.)

That said, I do have my dc do Algebra 1 twice with different texts, so it probably adds up to that much going through one text. However, I think doing it twice works better for us here.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Wow, I had no idea. For mathy dc, though, it can be more like an hour a day if they are not lollygagging. At least it is in our house & was for me, at least through Trig/pre-Calc. We haven't got to Calculus yet & I didn't take it. This is good to know, however, because my ds may be like that (hard to say now because he's not at the Algebra level yet.)

That said, I do have my dc do Algebra 1 twice with different texts, so it probably adds up to that much going through one text. However, I think doing it twice works better for us here.

I don't believe it and would consider it to be a sign that there was a problem unless the student was taking an upper level AP course.

I don't believe it and would consider it to be a sign that there was a problem unless the student was taking an upper level AP course.

Thanks. That makes sense to me, because when my dd's focus, they don't need an hour to do Algebra, especially in the easier chapters at the beginning of the book. Geometry frequently takes that long with proofs, though.

The spiral/integrated method requires a student to be working at a lower level. Most students and parents want to place the student at the highest level possible. Saxon immediately halts a struggling student, showing their true deficiencies.

Many math students need to be working below grade level, and need to repeat lessons, if the book moves too fast for them, when using the spiral/integrated method.

Completing Saxon algebra 1 will prepare a student for "College Algebra" at most junior colleges and provide all the math necessary for most junior college science classes.

Many families would do well to stick with Saxon as the spine, SLOOOOOW DOWN, and add some enrichment.

:001_huh: Are you serious??? DD, as I stated earlier, did 76 at age 9. The work was not hard at all for her. If I would've gone down a level or two and slowed down she would've gone loony! It jumped around, and was soooo repetitive that it drove her (and her older brother, who did 87) crazy! NOT because it was too hard or too high a level, but because it was boring and repetitive!

I have never heard anyone advocate this! Maybe that works for some. If so that's great! HOWEVER, it should not be thrown out here as a reason kids do not do well or "click" with Saxon!

Many, many students, especially those who have recently been pulled out of PS, are not ready to use Saxon at grade level, but will do great with it at a lower level and at a slower pace.

My 10 year old used Algebra 1. I'm fully aware some students can work above grade level in Saxon.

I'm just pointing out that SOME students are struggling with Saxon, because they have been place too high, and that placement in a spiral curriculum often needs to be one level lower, than one that presents one topic at a time. Even as an advanced student I noticed my "gifted" child had to work one level lower in Saxon than he did other textbooks.

In the short run, a struggling student will feel a sense of ease dropping Saxon, for a one topic at a time, curriculum, but often by a year later, the sense of frustration comes back, if the student didn't retain the material.

Many struggling students, with parents who expect the child to work on their own, do great with Saxon, if they don't try to stay on grade level, and settle for only completing through Algebra 1 or 2.

I've repeatedly seen struggling students from multiple families placed below grade level in Saxon, and soon have their yearly standardized test scores improve, because for the first time they were retaining the materiel and consistently getting math done even when the parent was busy.

I used Saxon for one year, 5/4.

What I didn't like:

Some of the explanations were not mathematically correct. On those days, I had to tell her to ignore what the book said and re-teach the lesson myself.

Saxon begins teaching a concept, then teaches something else for a few days, then comes back to the earlier concept. For a kid who needs to see the big picture in order to understand the concept, Saxon doesn't work.

Even though Saxon has a lot of practice problems, there are not enough problems for that day's new concept. Sometimes, only 2 or 3 of the 30 problems were related to that day's lesson, which is not enough to build mastery. By the time dd saw that concept again, she'd forgotten what she learned the first time.

I thjought about using Saxon, but still not sure.

My daughter is enjoying it (Algebra 1) but I'm more convinced than ever the right math program depends on the child, so I hesitate to say anything. Dd did half of another algebra text, and it was always a struggle. She's actually enjoying math now. First time since we started math as a subject. (She loved math back when she was discovering it on her own.)

Now I've ordered Saxon 8/7 for my son. Much of it will be review... not sure how to handle that. I just didn't want to move him into Algebra 1 until I was sure all the gaps were filled in.

Wow, my kids have developed proficiency (based upon their SAT scores and math club entrance scores.) The only times they have spent more than an hour a day on math was when they spent too much time goofing off or got behind. We have used Singapore from the beginning. I don't think my kids spend more than an hour a day on any subject (unless they are behind schedule.)

Haven't read other posts, but I grew up on Saxon (graduated high school in 1994) and our public school was known throughout the region for having the highest math scores on the ACT. (I myself made a 34 on the math section of the ACT) and my friends (I recall comparing ACT scores on the math because it was such a "phenomenon" in the area and I remember us eager to see how we performed in math). (and I wouldn't have said math was even my favorite subject..I was an English-type) Several of my good friends also made 28 - 35 on the math portion as well. It works ---- that's why I plan to use it.

Edited by mhg

Wow, I like the conversation going on in this thread! Very interesting, and to Hunter I am sure you don't want to hear this but, 2 hours of math a day!!! I'd die, and I almost did last year, I spent 3 hours on math a day. My mom said no more and we aren't ever going to use SOS math again!

I can't learn math from a computer, it doesn't compute. I fpund that out shortly, I need to have it in a book and be able to go back and review and know I have it for future reference.:001_smile:

Not saying that it is a bad thing, but I mean wow, you are pretty dedicated to math!

I used Saxon for one year, 5/4.

What I didn't like:

Some of the explanations were not mathematically correct. On those days, I had to tell her to ignore what the book said and re-teach the lesson myself.

Can you give examples of what you mean by this? We are planning on starting Saxon this year and I'm worried I wouldn't recognize these sorts of things.

Thanks!

Guest Barb B

Love saxon for us. Ds did great on SAT and ACT in math. One thing I know - for saxon to work you absolutely can's skip problems. The kids need to do every one! If you skip problems the saxon method just won't work.

Haven't seen errors in the text here. Maybe some errors taken out in the latest editions?

Barb

We used it through Alg 1- all new editions. I have 2 who 'see' math. But my husband, who is a ps math teacher likes it. It is thorough,and solution guide has all steps to all solutions. He sits down and does the new lesson with kids the night before. Then in the morning they can get math done totally independently. The kids of mine who used it scored really well on standardized tests this year. After Alg 1 we have done online or cc.