Menu

A logistical question of sorts...

I have made an observation. My children seem to work faster if I stay in what I think of as "teacher mode". By "teacher mode", I mean, facilitating work with their siblings, correcting work, sitting as my desk, checking in on them periodically, etc. If I try to switch to "mom mode", doing laundry, dishes, cooking, cleaning, etc., they begin to dawdle and are more likely to get off task. Is this a weird quirk with my children, or is this typical? Do I need to wait until school is over for the day before I begin housework? Will they outgrow this when they are all working more independently?

Mine were like this when they were younger. Now they wait until I leave the room to start calling "Mom, I have a question." "Mom, I'm ready for my spelling test now." etc. My laundry is right next to the table where we work, so I can keep up with the washing and drying; it's the folding that's a problem. I usually work on my computer researching (reading WTM :) ) or walk the circle between their chairs.

Mine are the same way, but I try to get all the things they actively need me for first, then I sit at my desk and either do computer stuff, clip coupons, or do school things (filing and the like). If I need to go off and switch a load of laundry or feed the baby, I give them instructions to keep going and if there is something they need my help with to skip it and move to the next thing.

This sounds SO familiar. And I sometimes find myself feeling frustrated that I can't do simple household chores without losing our momentum. But then I consider what I would think of a school teacher bringing his/her laundry in to fold during school... I'm glad to hear that I may be able to look forward to more independent work!

This sounds SO familiar. And I sometimes find myself feeling frustrated that I can't do simple household chores without losing our momentum. But then I consider what I would think of a school teacher bringing his/her laundry in to fold during school... I'm glad to hear that I may be able to look forward to more independent work!

now that is a funny image to think of.... and would a school teacher teach in her jammies?? or try to teach math with two naked 3 year olds running around chasing each other? :lol::lol:

Some moms get around this by having an hour or 30 min or so before school starts as chore time and get the kids to help you with all those pesky mom chore thingys. I really appreciated this blog post where she talks about how she manages her housewor.

I have made an observation. My children seem to work faster if I stay in what I think of as "teacher mode". By "teacher mode", I mean, facilitating work with their siblings, correcting work, sitting as my desk, checking in on them periodically, etc. If I try to switch to "mom mode", doing laundry, dishes, cooking, cleaning, etc., they begin to dawdle and are more likely to get off task. Is this a weird quirk with my children, or is this typical? Do I need to wait until school is over for the day before I begin housework? Will they outgrow this when they are all working more independently?

Same, my son even tells me that he works better when I'm in the room.

My kids are a little older and I still find this to be true. If I leave "school" they mentally do too. The only exception is when I am sick. They are now old enough that they will work really hard for me when I have a migraine or am sick even if I have to go to bed. I think they still consider me in teacher mode, just sick teacher mode :lol:.

I do not do household work during the school day. I can however, do anything that is school related or can be done on my laptop in the room with them including paying bills (as long as I don't make a production of it), checking email or WTM boards, lesson planning, grading etc. I can also read. Sometimes it is frustrating as housework calls, but as a pp said, I just consider myself a full time teacher and remember that is what I do during the day. The plus side is, I can usually get all my grading and lesson planning done in my free moments and that helps free up my afternoons and evenings.

Huh. :001_huh: This is sending off all these light bulbs in my head! I never really made the connection that they do work more efficiently when I stay in teacher mode. I can walk out of the room to switch the laundry. But I can't do anything that takes more than 30 seconds.

I have noticed that I cannot be on the computer during the school day. Especially not on these forums. :D Because then I have checked out mentally, and dc think they deserve to play on the computer, and our school day is shot.

now that is a funny image to think of.... and would a school teacher teach in her jammies?? or try to teach math with two naked 3 year olds running around chasing each other? :lol::lol:

:iagree:we have two naked children here, too!!!

Some moms get around this by having an hour or 30 min or so before school starts as chore time and get the kids to help you with all those pesky mom chore thingys. I really appreciated this blog post where she talks about how she manages her housework.

:iagree: This was an awesome blog. I am going right now and enter these chores in my sked track!!!

Robin in NJ

Some moms get around this by having an hour or 30 min or so before school starts as chore time and get the kids to help you with all those pesky mom chore thingys. I really appreciated this blog post where she talks about how she manages her housewor.

Oh, her blog is lovely, thanks for that. That particular post is quite inspiring!

And yes, my kids are the same way. It's so hard for me, because I'm a "fill every moment with something useful" kind of person, so to sit still even for a few minutes while waiting for DD to finish something is like torture. Gah!