Menu

Blocks

marie33

I am told over and over again that my ds (4yo) needs some kind of building system to express his logical side and play when he's bored.

I would really love to get him a system that is challenging but don't know of any. Recommendations? Not for age group, but to actually challenge him? Maybe something for an 8-10yo?

Thanks so much!

My 4yo loves Legos and plays with them for at least an hour everyday, usually more. He's been building with them for a little over a year now. He builds car after car after car. His favorite set is the red car in the Creator series, but he does need some help building it, mostly just keeping him on task. He does enjoy Tinkertoys and Lincoln Logs, but Legos are by far his favorite.

My recently-turned-6 DS has a very logical mind and loves building the Lego Creator Sets for any age level. The directions build focus, reading, and sequence and the option to make three different models from one set keeps him from wanting to "save" every structure he builds. His current favorite is the red dragon set, which is very cool looking and not as complicated as some of the other creator sets. With some help, a 4yo could build this.

My 5 yr old has been a lego brickmaster club member since she just turned 4, and it's wonderful-not only does it give her a new kit to play with every other month (which tends to be challenging), but a lot of unusual pieces to add to her base set. We own a LOT of legos.

Another favorite-her grandfather's Ball-stick atomic model set. Don't know if you can still get the nice wood ones (with dowels and springs) or not, though.

We bought our son Magna-tiles when he was four.

http://www.magnatiles.com/

Okay. They are insanely expensive, but I was told they would be worth the cost. Nearly five years later, I so agree. This is one 'toy' that my son has used day in and day out, year after year. I am always amazed what he builds with them or what he uses them for.

DS has always loved Legos, but he has only recently started playing creatively with them. He also loves K'nex.

If your child doesn't 'mouth' items, you might consider a marble run. (DS never mouthed objects until later, when his last molars were coming in. :glare:)

Have you ever looked at the MindWare catalog? They have lots of great building sets!

I am told over and over again that my ds (4yo) needs some kind of building system to express his logical side and play when he's bored.

I would really love to get him a system that is challenging but don't know of any. Recommendations? Not for age group, but to actually challenge him? Maybe something for an 8-10yo?

Thanks so much!

Keva planks!!!!! http://www.kevaplanks.com/

I can't even begin to tell you how great these simple, little, maple building planks are. They're engineered to balance and they are attractive in their simplicity. Using these plank, a child can create a broad range of structures, from the very simplist to amazingly complex.

...Lincoln Logs or Tinkertoys might be good options too.

We took along our tub of Tinkertoys when we visited my older sister's family a month ago. Her 16 year old son, 12 year old daughter, and 10 year old daughter played with my 5 year old and 2 year old for like an hour with the Tinkertoys.

Got to love those old school toys :001_smile:

Keva planks!!!!! http://www.kevaplanks.com/

I can't even begin to tell you how great these simple, little, maple building planks are. They're engineered to balance and they are attractive in their simplicity. Using these plank, a child can create a broad range of structures, from the very simplist to amazingly complex.

We have these too and LOVE them. At my husband's yearly party for fellow scientists working in his lab, all the scientists build elaborate structures all over the living room, up the shelves and on the floor.

Pattern blocks are also good; not only are they fun for just free-form exploration into patterns, tesselation, angles, etc. but your child can also use them for math.

And you can practically never have too many Legos.