Menu

Evolutionalist--evolutionist

So, I spar with my BIL about religion and politics. He's liberally Christian and is quite conservative politically. I'm the opposite, so we have some interesting conversations. Anyway, the term 'evolutionalist' comes up sometimes. He says he's an evolutionalist. Is he misusing the word? Does it mean something different? He brings it up when we talk politics and not religion, so it really confuses me.

For some strange reason, with toilets to scrub and dishes to wash, this has been bothering me for over a week. :D

I lose patience with google after a couple of pages.

So, I spar with my BIL about religion and politics. He's liberally Christian and is quite conservative politically. I'm the opposite, so we have some interesting conversations. Anyway, the term 'evolutionalist' comes up sometimes. He says he's an evolutionalist. Is he misusing the word? Does it mean something different? He brings it up when we talk politics and not religion, so it really confuses me.

For some strange reason, with toilets to scrub and dishes to wash, this has been bothering me for over a week. :D

I lose patience with google after a couple of pages.

This was not recognized, as a word, by any online dictionary that I searched. I did see one use of this word in an article/post but was followed by parenthesis acknowledging that it is not a 'real' word. Because of that, I am wondering if it is slang for a particular subset of understanding or belief. The article/post was quite unclear and I could not extrapolate how the author was attempting to define the term.:glare:

I was thinking he was meaning 'evolutionist' but saying 'evolutionalist' instead (which is being underlined in red on my browser). So, I thought maybe it's a new political phrase that I wasn't aware of.

I'll ask him next time he says it. I didn't want to bring it up randomly because then I'd be admitting that I haven't been understanding what the heck he's talking about or I'd be calling him stupid for adding an extra syllable to evolutionist.

I hear "evolutionist" a lot in these here parts, generally from people who are about to tell me that I have a religious belief in science, which I so do not. I think the REAL definition of "evolutionist" or "evolutionalist" should be "term used by Creationists to indicate that they have an unshakable religious conviction about the origins of life on earth and they are quite sure that you do, too!" :D

But in that case, your BIL would be using the term incorrectly. It sounds like he is a person who thinks that the scientific evidence for evolution is strong. Unless he is totally unwilling to consider future scientific discoveries that cast doubt on the current evolutionary model, then evolution is not a religious-style conviction for him.