Menu

Readers for my 2nd grader

guateangel

I know I should be able to go to the library and check out good literature for dd to read; However, I need some hand holding and guidance. If we have a program to follow, I'll be more disciplined and feel more secure knowing we've covered reading completely.

What do you recommend?

I like to use the Sonlight reader lists. We also have several books written by Arnold Lobel (Frog & Toad series, Mouse Soup, Owl At Home, etc).

:iagree:

You can also get the Reader Guide (not sure if that's what it's called) from Sonlight(the guide is like $5.75? plus shipping). It has the order you read the books, plus review questions. You can take a free placement test for the readers on the Sonlight page. Also, I got mine used here and on ebay.

hth

My 2nd grader is reading the books scheduled in Heart of Dakota's Emerging Reader schedule (which is in the appendix of some of the guides). If you go to their site and look at their book packages you'll see what books are included. I think the only way to get the schedule and discussion questions is to actually buy one of the guides though. The first book in the schedule is The Beginner's Bible, and I think the next one a Frog and Toad book. They increase in difficulty; at the end of the year they are reading The Courage of Sarah Noble.

In addition to the Arnold Lobel suggestion, let me add Cynthia Rylant's many series: Henry and Mudge, The High Rise Private Eyes, Mr. Putter and Tabby, and Poppleton. All of them are excellent and at a traditional 2nd grade level - though many 2nd graders are on to longer chapter books already as well.