Menu

Ray's Arithmetic?

~Amanda~

Any experience with this? I tried to do a search, but only saw it recommended for "not much writing" in the younger ages; everyone seems to use 20 math programs. and math is one of the more expensive ones out there…

http://www.dollarhomeschool.com/raysarithmetic/index.html

it supposedly has all the grades of math on one CD, which is a wonderful thing for my budget… but I want to make sure it is worth it.

I have the first two as hardbacks. I used the second one during second grade when we were lost in math. It has been my life-saver math program. My dd loves to do those word problems orally. I bought the first book to use with my youngest. If you want a mastery type program that cover the facts well or need to park in facts for a while, Ray's is the book for you. The problem I had was that after we had our facts down, it didn't move wuickly enough and didn't have enough teacher guidance for me - it actually assumed that I knew how to explain the elementary math. ;) Apparently old-time math teachers were better at math. I still use it as a resource for extra work when we need a break or more practice on a topic. I plan to work through it with my youngest. It is terrific to use when you are studying early American history. But I just couldn't picture myself using it for the long-term. I am one of those people tha can do the math, but not explain it.

It's true; you can buy all the grades on one CD, but you will still have to print out all those pages, unless you decide to do it on the computer screen or an e-reader. So you have to factor in the printing costs.

ost of these old texts are available for free download through archive.org. That site has other books similar to Ray's for the early grades too. Search for 'Everyday Number Stories', 'First Lessons in Numbers' and 'First Lessons in Arithmetic'.

If cost of printing is not a big factor for you, you may also want to look at the CIMT MEP program. That is also available for free download and covers all grades.

HTH