Menu

"Education" is a joke and my job is worse. Please read letter I am giving my boss

In light of all the drama over college degrees (of which I have 2) and because it is completely possible to be an RN and not have insurance because you work for complete idiots who promise it to you but then find excuses not to give it to you - I just had to vent about my sad job and my HUGE student loan debt.

OK.... I feel better.

I was told I would have full time hours and paid benefits by December.

I was then told (recently) that it was never going to happen - they don't have 30 hrs a week available (all I would need to be full time and have benefits).

EDIT:Should mention I am pregnant - 4th month - no getting another job this late.

But - lately, I have been working 60+ hours every 2 weeks because they keep telling me they need me to fill in here and there.

So - basically I work full time with no benefits and I collect part time vacation and sick hours.

This week I picked up some time but didn't want to pick all that was offered.

I work in a small Hospice house.

Here's the letter to the idiot:

Lisa, DATE

I thought that the reason you never listen to me is because you are running out the door when I am coming in. Now I realize that I was wrong.

Tuesday morning I told you that I did not want to pick up Wednesday because I had to work Thursday and wanted to rest for my 26 hour weekend. I specifically mentioned that my belly was sore from overdoing it with my recent move and that I did not want to over do it with hours right before I had to work my two 13 hour shifts.

You made a big deal about it (even though I told you no and explained WHY) saying that you really needed me and Jill had worked 60 hours last week. I felt for Jill, so I agreed to do it.

What upset me later was your REASON for not giving me benefits with all my recent hours and the fact that there ARE 60 hours available every two weeks. You said that I “could always say no to the hours” and you didn’t have time to talk about it because you were on your way to the bathroom.

When I did say no - you did not accept that answer.

Then you tell me that just because I DO work enough hours to be full time and get my promised benefits it doesn’t matter because I can always say no.

I thought that because I had left the big corporate hospital I would finally find the respect I deserve for my education, my hard work, and more importantly the love I have for my patients and their families.

It is painfully clear to me now that such is not the case.

I am truly disappointed.

Sincerely,

Karen ****** B.S.W., R.N.

Soooooo HIVE MIND....will I get fired for this?

If you haven't already sent it, I would delete the first line. It sets a defensive tone to the letter that I don't think you need. Your facts speak for themselves. I'm sorry you are getting jerked around and I'm glad you are able to stand up for yourself.

If you haven't already sent it, I would delete the first line. It sets a defensive tone to the letter that I don't think you need. Your facts speak for themselves. I'm sorry you are getting jerked around and I'm glad you are able to stand up for yourself.

Ahhh Mindy, Mindy, Mindy, will I always be a day late and a dollar short??:lol:

Needless to say, :iagree:

I would make sure you sleep on it and take a look at your letter tomorrow or Sun. to give yourself a little time. Typing a letter is a bit like road rage, we feel more powerful in a car and like a different person, and typing is easier and we feel more "free" to speak where our thoughts have been than going to your boss in person. I have unfortunately written letters out of my frustration only to have it blow up in my face. Looking back, I wish I would have humbly gone to the person that has offended me and asked as many questions as I could, trying to clear anything up and then speaking.

I hope that helps!

I don't know if you will get fired, but it sounds like a pretty difficult working situation. Nurses are in such high demand I cannot imagine any company not treating you fairly. I hope that it all works out. I would ask to see the written policies on benefit eligibility. Also, who within the organization have you taken your concerns to. Is there anyone above Lisa that can talk you through the policy? Good luck.

In situations like this I like to put as few words in writing as possible. That provides less ammunition if the situation esculates.

Laurel T.

Personally, I would take all the emotion and hurt out of this letter, and make it a letter asking for clarification:

Dear "boss",

I am looking for some clarification regarding our recent talks about hours and benefits. When I accepted this job it was with the understanding that I would be given 30 hours a week plus full-time benefits by December.

Then I was told that 30 hours a week weren't available to me. It is difficult for me to get by on fewer hours with no benefits.

Now I'm finding that each week I am required to pick up additional hours that put my total over 30 hours per week, but I am not receiving recognition or benefits for this.

I understand that it is my "choice" to pick up the extra hours, but I have been feeling pressured to accept them even when they are not right for me.

To clarify, I would be thrilled to work 30 or more hours per week and take the benefits that go along with full-time work.

Sincerely.....

As soon as you put your heart and suffering into the letter, Karen, you put yourself in a weak position. You also put the recipient on the defensive. Clarify your position and start making a game plan. You might want to work at this job a set number of months so you look "responsible" when it comes time to change jobs. I would be professional now, not antagonistic.

I agree with what's been written. However, I'd suggest directly telling her what you want. You need to wrap up the letter with a call to action, her action. Be it provide benefits to you or written notice why you are not eligible, or specify in writing your level of control over your additional assignments and hours, or both, she should have a request to fulfill. Otherwise, it may be dismissed as a "rant" and now that it's off your chest you're okay.

Good luck!!!

I know what you mean.

The reason I wrote it tonight is because she took away 8 hrs from me next week and left a message on my phone telling me that because I was "upset" about working so many hours, she would keep me at 20. I am only upset because I want to work more - I have been working more - but she just refuses to give me the benefits!

So late tonight I check my messages and want to smack her!

I had to write the letter or I wouldn't sleep at all tonight.

Once I refine it - I will send it.

Thanks for listening.

Personally, I would take all the emotion and hurt out of this letter, and make it a letter asking for clarification:

Dear "boss",

I am looking for some clarification regarding our recent talks about hours and benefits. When I accepted this job it was with the understanding that I would be given 30 hours a week plus full-time benefits by December.

Then I was told that 30 hours a week weren't available to me. It is difficult for me to get by on fewer hours with no benefits.

Now I'm finding that each week I am required to pick up additional hours that put my total over 30 hours per week, but I am not receiving recognition or benefits for this.

I understand that it is my "choice" to pick up the extra hours, but I have been feeling pressured to accept them even when they are not right for me.

To clarify, I would be thrilled to work 30 or more hours per week and take the benefits that go along with full-time work.

Sincerely.....

As soon as you put your heart and suffering into the letter, Karen, you put yourself in a weak position. You also put the recipient on the defensive. Clarify your position and start making a game plan. You might want to work at this job a set number of months so you look "responsible" when it comes time to change jobs. I would be professional now, not antagonistic.

Karen, you can nail this by being calm and articulate. I am absolutely sure that this person manages to manipulate people by yanking their emotions around. Refuse to play. You are so, so much better than that.

:grouphug:

Karen, you can nail this by being calm and articulate. I am absolutely sure that this person manages to manipulate people by yanking their emotions around. Refuse to play. You are so, so much better than that.:grouphug:

Exactly what I was thinking, and I had a boss like that so I know whereof I speak. Good luck, Karen!

Dear "boss",

Sincerely.....

Well writen, professional and great advice.

I completely understand your letter, but I think Jennifer's will prove to help you more in the long run.

I would give it to Lisa and see if you can get things worked out that way. If you can't get it worked out through Lisa fairly quickly, I would consider writing another letter to the human resources dept. and attaching the letter you gave to Lisa. This will show you are trying to go up the proper chain of command.