Menu

Questions about starting AAS with my 8 year old

Dolphin

I am starting AAS is September with my 8 year old/ 3rd grader.

Has anyone else started this program with an older child?

How long does each level take?

Are the readers really necessary? He is reading at an 6-7th grade level, just a really poor speller.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Nicole

I am starting AAS is September with my 8 year old/ 3rd grader.

Has anyone else started this program with an older child?

How long does each level take?

Are the readers really necessary? He is reading at an 6-7th grade level, just a really poor speller.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Nicole

Hi Nicole!

Yes, I started my kids when they were 9 and 11. (I wrote about this in my blog review, there's a link in my siggy). AAS recommends working for about 15-20 minutes, 4-5 days a week. (More frequent, short lessons are better than fewer, longer lessons). If you are starting with Level 1, you might get through it in 1-2 months (possibly less), depending on what he knows and what gaps he has. If he has already memorized how to spell the easy words, then your job will be to help him learn the concepts. He won't have to spell every word (unless he's enjoying it), but he should be able to demonstrate the concept back to you and show that he fully understands it, and then you can move on. Spend more time on things that are new for him, and move more quickly through the things he knows.

When I started my kids, they needed about 3 weeks or so to cover the topics from Level 1. Level 2 was mostly new for them, so we did everything and it took my 11 yo 4 months, and my 9 yo 7 months, to do that level. Basically you just want to take it at your son's pace. I set a timer, and we stop when it goes off, and pick up there the next day.

Really make use of the review box--customize this to his needs and do as much (or as little) review as he needs to retain the material. Each day you'll start off with just a couple of minutes doing the review, and then go into the book.

A child reading on a 6th-7th grade level doesn't need the readers. These are for kids who are just starting out with reading (Cobweb the Cat is CVC words, some consonant blends, some compound words--all short vowel words). The readers were made to match up with the lessons taught in AAS (and also AAR, which the company is coming out with later this fall).

I HTH! Merry :-)

Nicole -

I started my DD (almost 8, 2nd grade) in AAS last year. We easily finished level 1 and 2 during the school year. Some weeks we flew through the work, some weeks we didn't, but all in all it went quickly and smoothly. We didn't use the readers because she was well beyond their level. We are both looking forward to starting level 3 in September.

Thank you Merry and Alexandra,

That helps so much. I forgot to say part is because I am budgeting for the year. I already have level 1 and it did not look like it would take us that long to do, so I will budget level 1 and 2.

I will skip the readers now, but look into them when my dd starts getting to that point. I will also see what new and wonderful things are on the market at that time. I am really starting to feel excited about the AAS decision.

Merry, your blog is amazing, I think I could spend hours there. I am hoping to get my up and running in the next few months.

Cheers,

Nicole

I see some of you say you don't necessarily need the readers, but I was wondering if the student book was really needed or if you could get by without it. We went the whole sequential spelling route as well last year and I am not happy with the results.

I see some of you say you don't necessarily need the readers, but I was wondering if the student book was really needed or if you could get by without it. We went the whole sequential spelling route as well last year and I am not happy with the results.

There isn't a student "book" for AAS. The set comes with a Teacher's Guide and the student materials packet. In each level, the student packet contains 4 kinds of cards--word, sound, phonogram, and key cards, a progress chart and completion certificate, all matched to that level. Additionally the packets will have other materials for that level--syllable division rules, a booklet to write in (Level 3 has a silent E book, Level 5 has a make it plural book...) etc...

The cards are a big part of the program--this is what you use to customize the review for your child.

HTH some!

Merry :-)

I started my son when he had just turned 8. He was in 2nd grade. We started at Christmas time. We were able to finish Level 1 in one semester. I'm hoping to tackle Level 2 and 3 this year. My son is similar to yours. He can read at a very high level but his spelling is horrible. I didn't bother with the readers.

You definitely need the student supply package and the teacher's manual.

It is pricey but it WORKS. And boy, was I desperate.

You definitely need the student supply package and the teacher's manual.

I was guessing that was going to be the case. It is pricey and I hate the spend that much for it, but if it works then it was worth it. Anyone know of any deals/sales on all the level 1 materials?