Menu

Are we missing opportunities?

My dd is 13 and about to start high school. In talking with someone recently, I was asked if she's tested or qualified for different gifted programs. I don't think she'll have a problem qualifying, but I didn't think there was anything we could afford to do as the costs for the programs are so high. Now I find out that they do offer scholarships if needed, and I'm feeling like I've dropped the ball. :001_unsure:

From what I understand, some programs require that application be made at age 13 or younger, and I feel like I'm running out of time. Do you know what programs I should be looking into - specifically which ones have the age limit of 13 for qualifying?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

I hope someone answers with some specific recommendations of gifted programs as I don't know.

I just wanted to reassure you that you have not dropped the ball for your dd even if she never does any special gifted programs. There are many other "enrichment" opportunities out there, you just have to keep your eyes open. My youngest started high school at 13 and is graduating at 16. I've never tested him, never tried for special gifted programs. Instead he has taken advantage of the flexibility of homeschooling and of unusual opportunities to do interesting things. For instance, he has done robotics for a couple of years, interned with an Electrical Engineer, and has an internship at the zoo this fall. He is also starting to take classes at the community college. My oldest did lots of volunteer work, too, leading to hired jobs usually reserved for college grads. I think the common denominator for my two boys is that they approached their opportunities with a maturity that was appreciated by their mentors. That is where their giftedness really shined.

By all means see what opportunities there are for your dd to participate in gifted programs, but also look to see how you can merge her interests and talents into something unique.

Thank you for your post Jenn!

I didn't mention her age because she's in any way young for high school, and she'll graduate at a "normal" age, but mentioned it because 13 seems to be the cut off for some pro

grams. I've never been interested in her participating in gifted programs before, but what I'm interested in is her being able to get the enrichment programs at an affordable price. Many of her talents could be developed better with some instruction, but we haven't been able to do that. I do think that she would benefit from having the opportunity, at least once, to get together with a group of kids with similar interests.

Volunteer work and internships are awesome ways to go deeper into a field of interest, and they aren't too shabby on college applications either. :) She has begun volunteer work this summer, and she really enjoys that. Thank you so much for sharing your ideas, you've given me a lot to think about.

Hi Jenn,

You've intrigued me. What kinds of volunteer opportunities have your children been involved with? Mine are still very young, and won't be volunteering for quite a few years, but I like to gather information and love your approach in getting your children out there and exposed to the functioning world and the skills that they have learned. I know that when my children are older, I am interested in taking similar paths. How did you get them started? I would love to hear more stories about your experiences and your kids' work.

Thanks!

Marie

Thanks for asking, Marie. The activities I'm going to describe were things that developed over time, opportunities that came up from just talking with people. I like to ask people about their work and if it is something my kids are interested in I'll float the question if we could visit sometime. A few people are enthusiastic and invite you in, others, not so much. You just have to keep talking with folk, see what comes up.

My oldest son started volunteering with the tech team at our church when he was 13. He helped set up all the sound equipment, the power point slides, and learned how to program and run the light board. Lighting became his passion, and he was fortunate to find a mentor who taught him both within a church setting and a theater setting. This ds did lots of theater, performing and crewing, and as a senior had a leading role in one show, was stage manager for another (and wrote a manual for stage managing as a senior project) and designed lights for a third. As a freshman in college last fall he was the lead lighting designer for a community theater production. He is taking a year off from college to work at DisneyWorld where he is busy networking with techies and planning his eventual take over of the company.:D

My younger son has run up against age limitations at most of the places he wants to work. Most science labs have a minimum age of 16 for high school interns. The labs at the local oceanographic institute has a minimum age of 15, but you have to have a very specific interest to get a professor to take you on. My son's interests are still very general at the moment -- he just wants to explore possibilities. I think budget cuts have limited volunteer opportunities at the local museums. The only teen volunteers they seem to want is for camp counselors during the summer. The robotics team he was on was through our umbrella charter school. The engineering internship he had was with a friend who works from home, and it came through the two of them tinkering on projects in the past -- fixing a Playstation console or my computer, for instance. The friend's dd never cared about engineering and he saw a kindred geek soul in my ds, so took him on. My ds applied for and got a coveted internship at the San Diego Zoo starting this fall where he will be shadowing scientists, veterinarians, dieticians and keepers then writing about it for a zoo blog.

One reason my kids have done well with these opportunities, I think, is that they are very comfortable around adults, as is the case with most homeschool students. My kids show up ready to work, engaged and interested in learning, which is a welcome change after so many teens who just want to hang out with their friends.

So that's my story. It wasn't all planned, but it was something I had hoped for when I started this crazy homeschool journey.

• 10 months later...
I hope someone answers with some specific recommendations of gifted programs as I don't know.

I just wanted to reassure you that you have not dropped the ball for your dd even if she never does any special gifted programs. There are many other "enrichment" opportunities out there, you just have to keep your eyes open. My youngest started high school at 13 and is graduating at 16. I've never tested him, never tried for special gifted programs. Instead he has taken advantage of the flexibility of homeschooling and of unusual opportunities to do interesting things. For instance, he has done robotics for a couple of years, interned with an Electrical Engineer, and has an internship at the zoo this fall. He is also starting to take classes at the community college. My oldest did lots of volunteer work, too, leading to hired jobs usually reserved for college grads. I think the common denominator for my two boys is that they approached their opportunities with a maturity that was appreciated by their mentors. That is where their giftedness really shined.

By all means see what opportunities there are for your dd to participate in gifted programs, but also look to see how you can merge her interests and talents into something unique.

I grew up in San Diego too! When I was a junior in highschool I was an Educational intern an the San Diego Zoo, and it inspired me to become a teacher. I hope your son has a lot of fun.

Here's my experience with the Seminar program in the San Diego school system. http://teachingmybabytoread.blog.com/classical-education/

If you are in the San Diego region, I'd say by all means try to see if your son could qualify. Being surrounded by your age appropriate intellectual peers can be life changing.