Menu

Heart of Dakota Question

Mallorie

I'm a newbie Homeschooler, and I'll have 1st, 4th and 7th Graders. I like the look of Heart of Dakota, at least my initial impression, and I was wondering if there was one that would work for my two oldest together? I know their math and grammar will be at different levels, but for the spine HOD?

Is this a good program for someone starting out this "late in the game"?

Edited by Mallorie

Heart of Dakota is a great program for a newbie as the author helps you by doing all the planning and gives you key ideas to take away from each lesson. I think that depending on the skills of your oldest two, you could combine them into Preparing Hearts or Creation to Christ. I think I would strive to have the youngest fit the guide as much as possible so that you would only need to modify for the oldest. Each of those programs lists the ages you list in your signature with extensions available for the oldest. So if it were me, I'd try to place the youngest in the following chart: http://heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

then I'd make sure the extensions are the right age for the oldest. I know some of the ladies on the HOD boards could help you with placement or extension ideas.

So far there are plans for guides written up to 8th grade with extensions up to maybe 9th or 10th grade. However, Preparing is written for 3rd or 4th grade with extensions for 5th and 6th grade. CTC is written for 4th or 5th grade with extensions for 6th and 7th grade and so on. She is writing a new guide each year going through 8th grade and later with extensions.

The thing that I would be most concerned with starting a 7th grader in HOD to fit with a 4th grader is that your 7th grader is so close to high school. Every state has different requirements and credits needed and how many of each subject and special subjects...That would be my first concern and where I would start before picking curriculum.

There are extensions for the programs but they are not written to high school standards. I know that isn't the concern this year, but in the big picture...

I wouldn't combine my 7th grader at this point with a 4th grader so close to high school and graduation/college prep requirements.

Mallorie, you know your children best but I wanted to suggest this: I have 7 children. My 7th, 5th and 4th grader will all be doing Preparing Hearts this year. The 7th grader will use the extenstions, do additional science (he will use The Rainbow) and obviously use higher math and LA. I LOVE Preparing. I don't know where your kiddos placed on the placement chart, but Preparing is quite doable with those ages. My 4th grader is even a bit "behind" in some areas (writing, spelling) but Preparing has dictation exercises from the very beginner through a more advanced (older) student. The History, Bible, Science, Storytime, Poetry, writing exercises are all a good fit for most 4th graders. As for your 1st grader, check out LHFHG. We are using LHFHG with a 5yo and 7yo (2nd gr). Again, you know your kids and their abilities. HTH