Menu

Lost books

How common is it for books to get lost in the mail? I have two books I mailed on the same day for Paperbackswap, and according to the people the books have not been received.

Do some people just not mark books as received, or is it more likely the books were lost in route?

I did send the books with DC so I did get my credit.

I have bought and sold with media mail for years... and just recently I have had 3 packages "lost" on PBS and one media mail package I sold and shipped for a friend destroyed/lost (over $50 worth of books).

I am now trying not to ship media mail, using DC on PBS and buying insurance.

The delivery confirmation shows them as delivered?

I have never had a book I sent lost in the mail. I use media mail and first class with delivery confirmation. I've had eight books never make it to me, but these people never responded to my emails either. I think they just mark things as mailed, never get around to it, and then blow me off.

Then, there was the jerk on Amazon that realized he could get more for his book, so he lied about mailing it, refunded it three weeks later, and relisted it at a higher price.

I did mail a book to someone on this board (a freebie), but I put someone else's zip code in the street address area (a copy and paste error on my part). I had delivery confirmation on it. It came back to me, and I reshipped it. It's the closest I've ever come to having one of my books lost. I will never ship anything without delivery confirmation. It is worth the 19 cents to me.

I think it would be a better poll, so to speak, to ask how many people on this board have shipped things with delivery confirmation and had them never arrive to the destination.

I really don't think you can count all PBS "lost in the mail" as lost in the mail. Again, none of the eight people would respond to me when I asked if they did indeed ship the book. I have gone into my transaction archive when a book shows up really late, but to date, only one was actually late. All of the others were mailed really late, thereby not arriving to me before the time PBS considers them lost in the mail.

I bought the postage and DC through PBS. I got an email today from PBS that the books have been lost in the mail.

How do I check on the DC to see? Does PBS keep track of the DC since I bought it through them?

I mailed both books on July 4th with DC.

I bought the postage and DC through PBS. I got an email today from PBS that the books have been lost in the mail.

How do I check on the DC to see? Does PBS keep track of the DC since I bought it through them?

I mailed both books on July 4th with DC.

You go here and enter your delivery confirmation #:

http://www.usps.com/shipping/trackandconfirm.htm?from=home&page=0035trackandconfirm

If the person doesn't mark it received, the PBS system automatically marks it lost in the mail after so many days.