Menu

Best workbook for Ordinary Parent's Guide

Roxy Roller

I think Explode the Code lines up pretty well with OPG, at least for the beginning levels. Get Set, Get Ready and Go for the Code works on consonant letter sounds and then starts with short vowel sounds in level 1. At a certain point they no longer line up (I want to say level 3 or 4) but you can still use the workbooks either in order or mixed up and made to line up with OPG.

Edited by Tabula Rasa
spelling

We use ETC. I don't know that they line up exactly but all my boys have enjoyed them.

I think someone laid out lesson plans using OPG and ETC but I can't find the link to those. I will search my computer and see if I can find it.

I had a couple of old phonics workbooks that I would look through and tear out the corresponding pages. BUT the best thing I used these for was for games. I would cut out the pictures and have my child sort the pictures according to the sound. You can easily make a fishing game by attaching a paper clip to the picture and tie a string to a rod with a magnet attached. She can sort her catches by the "d" sounds and the "b" sounds for example. I like the steck and vaughn for the color pictures or any other cheap dollar store phonics books. You can easily cut up an old phonics book (that has the answers in it).