Menu

Anyone using Heart of Dakota next year?

Donna T.

Just wondering :)

My plan has been to use Beyond Little Hearts with my youngest son. He used Little Hearts this year.

I had thought I would skip a year of HOD with my oldest and then go back to it the next year, for 7th grade. I wanted him to cover American History and I had planned (sort of) to use Sonlight for one year with the intention of going back to Heart of Dakota for Creation to Christ.

I really wanted to do American History with him, but, I keep praying and can't get any real peace about it. My husband thinks we should leave both of the boys in Heart of Dakota because we have had the best year of homeschooling yet. We have been so pleased with their progress this year. I'm thrilled that he voiced a strong opinion about it :thumbup:. I wish I had consulted him earlier on!!

So, it looks like we will be doing Beyond and Creation to Christ. We are still praying about it but I'm pretty sure this is the final plan.

Just wondering what you may have planned!!

We are using HOD! Beyond Little Hearts with my 9 and 7 yo boys (with some additions for the 9 yo), and Little Hands to Heaven with my 5 yo boy and 3 yo girl (with some additions for the 5 yo.) We have started both programs and are extremely pleased so far.

We're going to be doing Beyond and Preparing. I'm so excited! I've looked at HOD every year for the past several, but am just now actually doing it!

I'm actually in the process right now of get my filing done (thanks to the massive thread going on!) and getting all of my supplies, etc. together for the year! Fun!

Hope you have a great year!

We have started both programs and are extremely pleased so far.

Oh, that's great to hear!!

I will be using Beyond with a 3rd grader, so we are going to add a little bit to it. I am going to add to the science and up the Language Arts a little. I think the history and Storytime are going to be perfect for him.

We are on unit three of Beyond, and it is going great. The kids love the hands on stuff, and the read aloud books are just right. My ds actually asks me to keep reading, but I think anticipation is good. I was so pleased to finally getting him to narrate back to me from Squanto.

We'll be using parts of Preparing Hearts for our 5th grader. He also wants to do MFW Exp to 1850 with his big bro.

And I definitely understand the conflict you've experienced. I've had that lack of peace too but we're getting closer to finalizing things as well. I love it when Dad voices his opinion. It's rare here, but very appreciated. :)

Edited by angela&4boys

And I definitely understand the conflict you've experienced. I've had that lack of peace too but we're getting closer to finalizing things as well. I love it when Dad voices his opinion. It's rare here, but very appreciated. :)

Oh, yes, it's rare here, too, I'm afraid! But, I finally had a lightbulb moment and consulted him AFTER having purchased the Sonlight materials!! He would let me have the final say since I'll be the one teaching most of the material. I'm glad he had an opinion and now that he's shared his thoughts with me, I'm beginning to feel quite excited about it! And, my children are excited already. They loved everything we've done this year.

I hope you enjoy Preparing. It is a great program. We have really enjoyed it.

We are also doing Beyond and CTC this fall. :)

I copied Julie's schedule for Beyond/CTC! Have you seen that? We won't follow her plan exactly of course but it was really helpful to see how she planned everything out. I definately needed some scheduling ideas.

We are going to use LHFHG with my 5 1/2 year old this year. I'm nervous but excited, hoping the History isn't too much for him to grasp and that the Science is enough as he loves doing experiments. We are continuing with OPGTR and ETC for phonics and using Saxon 1 and Singapore (mostly just trying to figure out which will work best for us for math).

The real trial will be keeping the younger 3 occupied during the school day!

Oh, yes, it's rare here, too, I'm afraid! But, I finally had a lightbulb moment and consulted him AFTER having purchased the Sonlight materials!! He would let me have the final say since I'll be the one teaching most of the material. I'm glad he had an opinion and now that he's shared his thoughts with me, I'm beginning to feel quite excited about it! And, my children are excited already. They loved everything we've done this year.

I hope you enjoy Preparing. It is a great program. We have really enjoyed it.

I love when the dhs show interest, yet respect our role as teacher. :)

And, thank you. We're looking forward to Preparing.

Guest mrsjamiesouth

I found HOD after I had spent my homeschooling budget. :glare: I decided to get LHTH and LHFHG (I already owned all the books just needed the manual.) I did not get Creation to Christ because of the jump in cost. I am doing Ancient history for 5th grade with MOH. I am going to switch my oldest over next year and do RtR.

We're using Beyond this year for 1st and 3rd. For the 3rd grader, we're using Bigger for English and Math. I'm hoping to add LHTH for my 3yo when we can spare the money.

We're on unit 2 and so far I love everything about this program! My only regret is not starting with HOD. :lol:

This is our first year homeschooling and we are doing LHTH with my 4.5 year old DD! I'm so excited. I had read about HOD when I first started looking into HS, and for some reason the past 3 months it escaped my mind! I finally came across it again and I ordered it last night. It wasn't even exactly what I thought I wanted, I was almost settled on MFW, but I clicked order last night on LHTH! I'm very excited to get started!

We are doing Preparing and LHFHG and will be doing LHTH once we get into the swing of things. Ds is only 2 so LHTH can wait if I get overwhelmed. I am so excited to start! Donna, does Julie have a schedule for Preparing or LHFHG as well? She is so organized!

Hi, Sue! I don't know. You can check here:

http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj8/happymomto3/Charts/

Well, I just looked and here it is:

http://photobucket.com/images/PHFHG%20and%20LHFHG%20Schedule/

I have had the exact same conflict of heart over SL and HOD; have not used either so far but am planning SL 400 for my 12th grader and HOD--Preparing--for my 5th grader this fall. I also could not get peace about SL for my younger guy, although I have wanted to use SL for the past three years, just not able to because of financial issues. The peace comes when I look over the HOD catalog and I just believe this is where I'm supposed to land for this kiddo this year. I have a 2nd grader also who will listen in on the Preparing read-alouds but will be concentrating on reading/writing/'rithmetic this year ;)

We just finished up Bigger this year and we are moving onto Preparing. HOD has been the perfect fit for my 8 and 10 year old to do together....

What a blessing it has been and I pray that I will be able to continue using it.

We started with HOD last year using Beyond & Bigger. We have amped it up this next year by combining both into CTC. I know it's not a typical course of progression but my kids are "all over the map" when looking at the "right side" of the lesson plans. I have one child advanced and the other one very delayed. They wouldn't fit any pre-written lesson plans where those subjects are concerned. :tongue_smilie: So, CTC is the best choice for us

where the left side is concerned.

Geo

We will be doing LHFHG & Preparing . I am very excited . I was undecided and considering these : SL , Path of exploration , MOH ...and a few more :) but my husband finally chose for me .

I would encourage you to listen to your husband :) and go with HOD .

We are trying to add many books from SL K and 1 and BFSU (for science) with our HOD but we'll see what we can actually do :)

:iagree:The husbands win this year :001_smile: I had all the history books and some of the storytime books for Beyond, but I was trying to plan our own year. It was leaving me a bit frustrated. I kept going back and looking at Beyond, but not wanting to spend the extra money on some guide I wouldn't use. My dh was the one who finally told me just to buy the guide if it was going to make my life easier. I'm so happy he did:lol:. He also convinced me to go ahead and not skip Bigger next year.