Menu

If you use Latin for Children, please share what your week looks like?

I'm trying to figure this all out. Latin is new to us, and I just got my materials yesterday. I have the sample schedule from the LFC site, but that doesn't really show me how to schedule in the activity book. Do you do all the activities in one day? Spread them out? Please share how what your week or unit schedule for LFC. :bigear:

I am :bigear: to. We just got LFC A and I am wondering this also!

Also (if the OP does not mind) What does (or did) your song school latin week look like? I am using this for my ds!

Day 1: Watch DVD and practice chants & vocab.

Days 2-4: Do one worksheet per day...if we ran out then use the extra activity guide's stuff - though I didn't buy that book for LFC B. If I were just starting this curriculum I would probably just use stuff that's on their webpage for extra work...they have tons of cool stuff on there.

Day 5: Quiz

We saved the History Reader for the summer after we had finished the book. I think that's why it was such a success for us.

Sorry, no help with song school as it wasn't out when we got started so I just never bought it.

We do Latin everyday for maybe 15-20 minutes. Once you get into LFC B there are some translating worksheets in the book that I think are a great brain workout, but those days are longer than other days. LFC A just has one worksheet if I recall correctly, but if you're trying to fit in the activity book, you can just do that the other days if you want to fill 5 days. So this was our LFC B schedule (LFC A I think we did 4 days/week. Haven't even opened up LFC C yet!)

Monday: Watch DVD chant and grammar lesson

Tuesday: do chant (with or without DVD), review grammar in primer, memory worksheet

Wednesday: do chant (with or without DVD), translating worksheet

Thursday: do chant, last worksheet page in primer (can't remember name)

Friday: chant, take quiz. Early in the year we also did the history reader on Friday, but we lost the book around Christmas. I found it at the end of the year. I think we will keep working on the LFC B book this year and it may work better to have that be a bit behind the current grammar we're learning.

We use as many days as are needed to cover the material. For Latin, we're in no big hurry to finish a book a year. I figure any Latin is better than none and this keeps Latin manageable for us.

Day 1 - read grammar lesson & watch DVD

Day 2 - worksheet

Day 3-5 one activity page per day for however many there are

Day ? study for test

Day ? test

So Latin takes between 5 and 8 days per chapter for us.

Once we started the reader 1/2 way through the year, I have him translate one sentence a day in addition to the above work.

For review lessons (which don't have the usual number of pages in the text) I divide up the pages so we end up spending about 30 minutes a day. Sometimes that's 2 review pages, sometimes it's only 1/2 of one. (And sometimes my guess for how long it will take is really off and the whining begins! :D)

So Latin takes between 5 and 8 days per chapter for us.

Glad you said 8 days b/c looking through it and all we have to do in other subjects I just couldn't figure out how to do it all in 5 days.

Once we started the reader 1/2 way through the year, I have him translate one sentence a day in addition to the above work.

I like this!:D

For review lessons (which don't have the usual number of pages in the text) I divide up the pages so we end up spending about 30 minutes a day. Sometimes that's 2 review pages, sometimes it's only 1/2 of one. (And sometimes my guess for how long it will take is really off and the whining begins! :D)

I may just have to schedule what I think we can handle and adjust for the review weeks. Thanks for your input. Very helpful.:)

Edited by SewLittleTime

Day 1: Watch DVD and practice chants & vocab.

Days 2-4: Do one worksheet per day...if we ran out then use the extra activity guide's stuff - though I didn't buy that book for LFC B. If I were just starting this curriculum I would probably just use stuff that's on their webpage for extra work...they have tons of cool stuff on there.

Day 5: Quiz

We saved the History Reader for the summer after we had finished the book. I think that's why it was such a success for us.

Sorry, no help with song school as it wasn't out when we got started so I just never bought it.

I bought the mastery bundle this year. I'll see how it goes. It may be too much. I'll check out the website activities. I like your idea of saving the history reader till the end. I may try that!

We don't do an entire chapter in a week either. There are only 32 chapters in LFC A but I planned for us to take 36 weeks. We also do a year-round loop schedule so we don't necessarily get to Latin every day.

Here's what our 1st 15 days looked like to give you an idea of how I scheduled it...

1 - Primer p. 1; DVD Lesson 1

2 - Review p. 1; Primer pp. 2-4; Worksheet

3 - Review pp. 1-4; Derivative Worksheet; Activity Book p. 5

4 - Headadventure Land

5 - Review pp. 1-4; Activity Book pp. 6-7

6 - Quiz 1

7 - Primer p. 9; DVD Lesson 2

8 - Review p. 9; Primer pp. 10-12

9 - Review pp. 9-12; Derivative Worksheet; Activity Book p. 8

10 - Headadventure Land

11 - Review pp. 9-12; Activity Book pp. 9-10

12 - Quiz 2

13 - Primer p. 17; DVD Lesson 3

14 - Review p. 17; Primer p. 18; Worksheet

15 - Review pp. 17-18; Derivative Worksheet; Activity Book p. 11

HTH! :001_smile:

We don't do an entire chapter in a week either. There are only 32 chapters in LFC A but I planned for us to take 36 weeks. We also do a year-round loop schedule so we don't necessarily get to Latin every day.

Here's what our 1st 15 days looked like to give you an idea of how I scheduled it...

1 - Primer p. 1; DVD Lesson 1

2 - Review p. 1; Primer pp. 2-4; Worksheet

3 - Review pp. 1-4; Derivative Worksheet; Activity Book p. 5

4 - Headadventure Land

5 - Review pp. 1-4; Activity Book pp. 6-7

6 - Quiz 1

7 - Primer p. 9; DVD Lesson 2

8 - Review p. 9; Primer pp. 10-12

9 - Review pp. 9-12; Derivative Worksheet; Activity Book p. 8

10 - Headadventure Land

11 - Review pp. 9-12; Activity Book pp. 9-10

12 - Quiz 2

13 - Primer p. 17; DVD Lesson 3

14 - Review p. 17; Primer p. 18; Worksheet

15 - Review pp. 17-18; Derivative Worksheet; Activity Book p. 11

HTH! :001_smile:

I love this!!! Thank you so much for being so specific! I'm printing this out!:hurray:

Guest aquiverfull

Thanks for asking this question. This will be our first year studying Latin. We're also using LFC A. I was also wondering how to schedule it out and had the same feelings that 5 days might not be enough for us. I didn't buy the history reader or the activity book. I plan on using the website for extra worksheets if we need them and we LOVE Headventure Land. :)

Kelly, I like the schedule you posted above. Thanks everyone else for sharing your scheduling as well. I've been wanting to plan out Latin but wasn't sure what would be a reasonable amount to do each day.