Menu

Can you suggest any art resources to go along with ancient history?

helena

Do you have Half Price Books or another used book store in your area? We found a college textbook on Art History with a brand new CD in the back. Also, The Annotated Mona Lisa: A Crash Course in Art History Prehistoric to Post Modern can be found on amazon for less than $10. It's a great reference. Enjoy! I look forward to seeing some other answers come up.

So far I've found this art poster set: http://www.crystalproductions.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=CP6124&eq=&Tp=, and that's about it.

I'm not looking for an art curriculum, just things like books, prints, dvds, websites, art projects... things like that.

Any suggestions?

Geography through Art from Geography Matters is a great resource that is easy to line up with your studies but that is neither time nor resource intense. A favorite website for the past couple of year's is the Heinemann Library's enrichment4you site. Unfortuantely, when I tried to link it, it was reported as a virus site. Hopefully, they will get that fixed because the projects are wonderful but more complicated and come with a lesson plan.

I found most of the art I used in books I checked out from the library on the specific people group we were studying. For example, when we wer studying the Byzantines I had a book on the Byzantine Empire that was full of art. I also found DK's Art A History of the World at the library in the adult section that has some great examples.

The books by Hodge are good - Ancient Egyptian Art, Ancient Greek Art, Ancient Roman Art. There are also some books from Taschen that cover various cultures.

The only problem with Hodge's books are that there is typically only 1, maybe 2 at most projects in them. Otherwise, they are good books.

Projects?!? I'm supposed to do projects? Shhhh. Don't tell the kids!

Not if they are like my youngest when I pointed out the project in the Ancient Egypt (or China, I can't remember) book and said that it would be a cool thing do do. His enthusiastic response was, "Yeah, for another family.":001_huh:

Thanks for all the suggestions.

It turns out my library has most of the recommended books, so I made a list to check them out the next time I go.

Also I realize that the girls are getting older, and it's time to bump it up a notch as far as the type of books I'm buying at yard sales and used book stores. I've been so focused on my chapter book collection :D, I've neglected some other important areas. Thanks for the reminder.

:lurk5:

For creafts, we plan to use the following:

Ancient Egyptians and Their Neighbors: An Activity Guide

Ancient israelites and Their Neighbors: An Activity Guide

These were recommended in Tapestry of Grace, Year One - your library may have them.

I also saw this on Amazon:

Classical Kids: An Activity Guide to Life in Ancient Greece and Rome

I am intrigued by the hands and hearts history kits:

http://handsandhearts.com/

They look great!

HTH!