Menu

JHU CTY Eligibility

If you want them to be eligible for courses, then they have to take either the SCAT (for elementary) or the SAT/ACT (for jr high). The CAT or WISC scores are just to get them through the initial screening.

The SCAT isn't much of a test- I wish they used the EXPLORE like many of the other talent searches. But it's their program & they've picked the SCAT for whatever reason.

I had dd assessed through John's Hopkins and her Woodcock Johnson scores made her eligible for CTY until she is old enough for the SAT (7th grade). Then she will have to test to qualify. I don't believe they use IQ test scores like WPPSI or WISC but are more interested in whether or not the child is using their intelligence so want achievement test scores...at least that's how they explained it to me a few years ago. The IQ test scores or CAT test scores or parental report are needed to qualify to take the SCAT.

If you want them to be eligible for courses, then they have to take either the SCAT (for elementary) or the SAT/ACT (for jr high). The CAT or WISC scores are just to get them through the initial screening.

The SCAT isn't much of a test- I wish they used the EXPLORE like many of the other talent searches. But it's their program & they've picked the SCAT for whatever reason.

I agree with you. Another advantage of the SCORE is that it is an achievement test accepted by the Davidson Young Scholars program. I believe you live in MA, like me. Any ideas on how children can take the SCORE test?

I grew up in MA and lived in Allston from '03-'06 but currently am in CA. We have family in the Pittsburgh & Philly areas though and CMITES told me that I could register my DD for their program. They offer the EXPLORE starting in 3rd. I don't know yet whether my DD can take the test somewhere locally or if we'll have to travel back East to do it (not a huge deal but I'd prefer to visit for Easter rather than in the dead of winter ;)).