Menu

Finish this sentence: Sherry is the same color as...

I'm listening to an audio book in which the woman keeps referring to her son as having beautiful eyes the color of sherry. Being a "good Mormon girl" I have only the vaguest idea what color sherry might be. It's not part of the landscape of my life. But the author keeps using this word to describe the boys eyes and its starting to bug me that I can't picture it. Anyone out there help a girl out?

ETA: I did a google search for sherry but it wasn't much help. Mostly girls named Sherry. Apparently.

I'm listening to an audio book in which the woman keeps referring to her son as having beautiful eyes the color of sherry. Being a "good Mormon girl" I have only the vaguest idea what color sherry might be. It's not part of the landscape of my life. But the author keeps using this word to describe the boys eyes and its starting to bug me that I can't picture it. Anyone out there help a girl out?

ETA: I did a google search for sherry but it wasn't much help. Mostly girls named Sherry. Apparently.

It's pretty close to the color of maple furniture--a brown with orange tones

Whichever seems right to you, given the context!

Oh dear. Ok...so you're telling me that sherry comes in more than one color? Rats. I was hoping for more clarity. The context doesn't offer much help in this case. I guess I'll just have to go with light brown and try not to let it bug me...lol.

Thanks!

Hey, I didn't even know I was imagining sherry as the wrong color! More ignorance fought.

That totally makes me giggle.

It's not that I'm completely sheltered. I know the colors of a lot of beverages I don't personally consume from going out with friends and extended family who are not LDS. Vodka, tequila, beer, several varieties of wine, champaign, coffee with various add-ins, a plethora of teas--but I don't think I've been around when anyone ordered sherry. I wasn't sure WHAT color to imagine it. I mean, I didn't figure it was bright red or anything because who would write a story with a kid who had red eyes--I mean unless he was supposed to be a vampire or something, which this one definitely is not. So I guessed it must be somewhere in the pale golden to rich brown range I've seen in other beverages, I just had no idea where on the scale it might fall. I wouldn't have guessed at warm orangey auburn tendencies.

So I'm glad I asked. :)

I've never seen anyone actually drink sherry- it's mostly used in cooking. I sometimes have sherry vinegar in my pantry.

Oh yeah...cooking sherry. I think I've been told you don't drink cooking sherry (because it doesn't taste too great) and you don't cook with drinking sherry (because it would be a shame to waste the good stuff that way). And that's about what I know about it. It's funny the things people think you need to know after they find out you avoid alcohol. I can't tell you how often I've been told peppermint schnops is a good place to start when I decide to leap the fence...lol...

It's not that I'm completely sheltered. I know the colors of a lot of beverages I don't personally consume from going out with friends and extended family who are not LDS. Vodka, tequila, beer, several varieties of wine, champaign, coffee with various add-ins, a plethora of teas--but I don't think I've been around when anyone ordered sherry. I wasn't sure WHAT color to imagine it.

Yeah, me too, but I always thought of it as reddish-brown--the color of brown you get in some dark redheads' eyes, you know?

Yeah, me too, but I always thought of it as reddish-brown--the color of brown you get in some dark redheads' eyes, you know?

Well, it seems as though it comes in different colors, and that sounds like it could fit too. Most redheads I've known were pretty fair, but I did know a redheaded guy once whose eyes were almost orange. (Much to his parents' disappointment he and I didn't really hit it off...lol...)

I drink good sherry, LOL, not cooking sherry (which is burgundy). It's like port, which is why I drink it.....

"Like port" means as much to me as "the color of sherry"...lol...

Having an incurable streak of curiosity, though, I have to ask whether it's like port in color or in flavor. Or both.

Port is a deep red, usually, while sherry is lighter-colored.

The tastes are related--sherry is cured in casks that held port, I believe. :)

(I drink sherry; my Brazilian friend drinks port. Neither of us likes the other's drink.:tongue_smilie:)

Really, LOL? I like them both, the flavors are very similar, generally. Reminescent, at least. Anyway, I can't think of any port I've ever seen that is not a very deep burgundy color.

Port is fortified wine. It is fortified with brandy as it is fermenting. It has a higher alcohol content than wine. A tawny port has been aged in both the cask and the bottle, I believe, and is somewhat lighter in color. All Port used to come from Portugal, but no more. I've heard there is a white Port in Portugal, but I've never seen any of it. Some local wineries in my region make Ruby Port, which is a younger, less complex Port.

Sherry is a fortified wine that originated near Jerez, in Spain. It is from white grapes. Sherry is fortified with brandy, too, but after fermentation is complete. So there's not much sugar in Sherry, at least at first, and most of it is dry at first (whereas Ports are sweeter from the get-go). I prefer the heavier, sweeter dessert wines or sherries that resemble Port more closely than a dry Sherry. Most of the sherries I like are a deep, honey color, as opposed to burgundy colored.

And that should be just about all you'd ever want to know about either of them, LOL......

Wow! Now I feel so informed my head is practically spinning. :001_smile:

And I am also increasingly convinced that there is no such thing as "the color of sherry" and that the author was just trying to be poetic or something. I mean, it's hardly fair for an author to say something is the same color as something that comes in more than one color. It lacks precision. :D