Menu

Overexcitabilities

Embassy

The biggest challenge for us is my oldest son and sounds --> either things that are too loud or things that are unexpected. Usually, he covers his ears. No big deal. Sometimes, especially in public, he may cover his ears, scream to drown out the sound with his own voice, and at the same time either jump up and down or crouch to the floor. That's the sort of thing that gets strangers' attentions. :001_rolleyes: If possible, I try to anticipate the loud sound so that he's aware it's going to happen. That way he can snuggle next to me until it passes (when sick, tired, or hungry), or cover his own ears (on a good day). If it wasn't expected, I just give him a tight bear hug and whisper directly in his ear that it's ok.

The other OE he has is one that I haven't been able to find on any "list" of OEs. It's weird. He has situational fears. For example, if we're at the library, he'll talk to the librarian. No big deal. If we're at the grocery store and see the librarian there, it's something totally out of place in his mind. He freezes. Literally. He'll stand there with his eyes covered. If that person comes over to say hello, he'll hide in my embrace, breathe deeply/rapidly, and say or whisper "nooooo". His entire life is compartmentalized. He HAS to have a calendar for events. He HAS to have a spreadsheet of assignments laid out by subject, day, and week. The librarian HAS to be a part of the library with no real life, real family, real need to go to the grocery store, etc. I don't know... it's hard to explain. He wants to see things where he first saw them, and never wants them to change. If his cousin comes to visit on July 17th this year, it means she MUST be planning to do so every year?! Um... sorry, babe. Doesn't work that way. :001_huh::confused: I haven't figured out how to deal with this one yet other than to encourage him not to be rude to people. He at least has to say hi, and then he's welcome to cover his face again while I carry on the conversation. After a minute or so, he warms up to the situation, starts talking, and eventually adds the grocery store to the list of places that this particular librarian is allowed to go in his own compartmentalized brain perfect world. :lol:

He also has an irrational fear of puppets. We just avoid puppet shows, creatures walking around at amusement parks, etc. We don't dare try to take his picture with one. :001_rolleyes:

My younger child doesn't have the same types of OEs. I mean, they're not things that the general public would notice. He's extremely in tune (for lack of a better phrase) with music. He can pick out tiny details in classical music that others don't notice. He's been addicted to classical music since infancy. He also won't eat most meats because of the texture. He loves vegetables, so I guess it's ok. He hates tags in clothing and would be naked all the time if we'd let him. He's my easy-going child with a little bit of attitude thrown in. The older one is the very intense one.

Edited by 2smartones

My older son primarily has intellectual and emotional overexcitabilities. My younger son has more psychomotor and imaginational. They both have bits of the other ones too. It makes life interesting and creates lots of clashes since they are so different. I am still trying to figure out how to help them navigate life with each other. Maybe then I can start to consider how to help them to navigate the world.