Menu

Book a week in 2010 - Week 30

Good morning! Today is the start of book week 30 and the quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks. Have you started Book # 30 yet? Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 books blog and ready for you to link to your reviews.

Week 30 - Crime Fiction: whodunits, psychological thrillers, spy novels, legal thrillers - who doesn't love them. Have you been watching Castle, the detective show on tv? Heat Wave by Richard Castle is being released on July 27th. I've preordered my copy.

What are you all reading this week?

I just finished reading Daniel Silva's newest book "The Rembrandt Affair. Just released on the 20th. Excellent. I'm looking forward to reading more of the Gabriel Allon series. I started "Something Wicked This Way Comes" by Ray Bradbury for the SFF Masterworks project. Did you see my review on The Moon is a Harsh Mistress? Check out the project. Lots of interesting old sf and f books.

I finished the 3rd Temeraire book this week, Black Powder War, by Naomi Novik. These books are so much fun!

I spent the last 3 days at the big Comic-Con, buying books, getting autographs and sitting in on author panels which I just wrote about on my blog.

Ray Bradbury is there every year and I have yet to get to one of his panel discussions. He is so popular and is usually there on Saturday which is the craziest day, so it takes a lot of determination to see him.

This has definitely been a week for lighter, faster reading - maybe it's just too hot to think, maybe it's life in general, maybe my brain has melted from all the heat . . . :001_smile:

Anyway, here is what I read:

#39 - The Giver, by Lois Lowry - This book had my heart in my stomach like a very uncomfortable dead weight for most of the book; hope kept me reading. That's probably 'nuff said.

#40 - The Note, by Angela Hunt

#41 - Redeeming Love, by Francine Rivers - Wow! Her books are always good, always page-turners. This one - just wow. The allegory was so plain to see; the story itself so painful. I just don't have the words . . . But I will say it's been a very long time since I stayed up till four in the morning to finish a book.

Currently, I am breezing through:

#42 - Where My Heart Belongs, by Tracie Peterson - This is the first book I've read by this author. Quick reading.

I am still slogging through:

#43 - Great Expectations, by Charles Dickens - I just don't get what's holding me up with this - I read it twice in high school and did my senior thesis on it - I must have liked something about it . . . I will continue to slog . . . :tongue_smilie:

I'm definitely behind in my number of books, but I've finally put up a review of my 19th book, The Hound of Ulster by Sutcliffe. I'm currently reading The Once and Future King by White (which I'm thinking I might review and count as 4 separate books since it really is a complilation of four stories) and the Sutcliff trilogy of King Arthur. I've decided that the only way I'm going to make it to 52 books is to start counting some of the books I'm prereading for history next year. If I post review of all the books, I decide to hold off assigning until high school maybe I'll be ahead of the game in 4 years.

I finished Fernande yesterday. It was a good, quick read -- not as great as Dumas' other works, but a short, entertaining soap opera of social blunders & romantic intrigue.

I started a new book yesterday: Special Topics in Calamity Physics. I am enjoying it & finding that it reminds me a bit of The Secret History (though I read that one so many years ago, I don't remember many actual details about it). There are tons (that's an understatement, btw) of literary references, some of which I'm getting & plenty of which I'm sure I'm missing, lol. The chapters are titled after famous works of literature. So far, it's unique & interesting enough that I'm curious to see where this book is going to go....

"Product Description

"Dazzling," (People) "Exuberant," (Vogue) "marvelously entertaining," (The Dallas Morning News) Marisha Pessl’s mesmerizing debut has critics raving and heralds the arrival of a vibrant new voice in American fiction. At the center of this "cracking good read" is clever, deadpan Blue van Meer, who has a head full of literary, philosophical, scientific, and cinematic knowledge. But she could use some friends. Upon entering the elite St. Gallway school, she finds some—a clique of eccentrics known as the Bluebloods. One drowning and one hanging later, Blue finds herself puzzling out a byzantine murder mystery. Nabokov meets Donna Tartt (then invites the rest of the Western Canon to the party) in this novel—with "visual aids" drawn by the author—that has won over readers of all ages."

51VetNRc1XL._SCLZZZZZZZ_AA250_Special-Topics-in-Calamity-Physics.jpg

I have been reading, but not reviewing. I just put up two reviews of books that I am considering including in school this year. I think I will make them both optional because they are way below reading level for Rocket Boy. I'll go fill in Mr. Linky - I'm hoping to be a bit more inspired to keep posting reviews - I've read several but can't seem to remember what they were. Maybe it's my summer brain.

I just finished Book 26, so I am behind. I thought I'd post anyway. This week we finished reading aloud "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows." It was supposed to be just for my youngest since the rest of us had read it, however, by the last third of the book older dd and dh were listening as well and begging me to keep going :D I had forgotten how good this book was.

Today I finished "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies." Interesting. I was thinking of adding it to our Jane Austen study as a way of seeing how modern culture is effected by Austen's works. I think the girls will get some giggles out of it. I read aloud a few passages to my dd and her friends and they found it hilarious.

Now off to do some history reading and next up for myself "The Juliet Club."

I just finished Fellowship in a Ring: A Guide for Science Fiction and Fantasy Book Groups by Neil Hollands.

It's written by a librarian and intended for others in that field; it's meaty and entertainingly written. It has fifty titles that are featured with two page entries which include a synopsis as well as discussion questions. I'm getting many new ideas of books to read. It also includes thematic lists of books. I'd recommend it if you're in the market for new titles.

Regards,

Kareni