Menu

possible move to TN - covers? laws?

Dh is still job hunting and TN is looking like our best option. Specifically, the Blount county area. We would not be arriving until later in the school year. One cover school I just read does not take students after Aug 1. :scared:

I've read TN law and it does seem more difficult than other states I've lived in. Could someone offer advice?

Thanks!!

http://www.tn.gov/

Here is the most information site out there for TN directly.

Here is the academy we go through and have been from day ONE of our wonderful homeschooling adventure. http://www.homelifeacademy.com/ You can register with them NOW that way you don't have to change once you do re-locate :)

HTH!

Let me know if you have any more questions! I've never had to do anything OUTSIDE of this academy as far as grade reporting and listing my education plan and attendance. So easy and simple! Also if you have any questions HomeLife is awesome about helping you out as I've called them directly for questions I had and got the answers I needed.

Just this year I've decided to begin keeping important pieces of school work from each of my children in a binder that is required by the curriculum standards of TN, but that's my choice..Not anything required at all.

Mamaofblessings.

We are out of TN state now and do not have a set move date into the state. It will depend upon the sale of our house. I am concerned about having to register NOW. I've noticed many of the covers I've researched close their registration AUg 1. So, should I join now even if we do not get there for several months?

We're also with Homelife, and love them, especially being able to do everything online.

Many TN schools start super-early (Registration for ps kids is Aug 3rd, with school starting Aug 9th here), so you need to register with someone before you move, regardless of what you decide.

HOw often do you test? Is testing state required or cover required?

I have already re-enrolled with our cover in our current state because schools start here very early too. Homelife does not meet our state requirements unfortunately. But, I will certainly join them as soon as I have a definite more date.

We visited TN recently and I loved it! I have never seen such a beautiful area.

Well, we're starting to sound like the HomeLife cheerleading team, but we are also part of this umbrella.

Some TN law in normal language:

Homeschoolers have 2 choices - register with the local school district or become a satellite location of a private school (aka umbrella). Technically, there is no such thing as "homeschooling". I don't know anyone who has ever registered with a school district.

The umbrella schools can make their requirements whatever they like, although in general, if it is a traditional private school that also provides an umbrella option for homeschoolers, then homeschoolers have to follow the same requirements as the private school children (because they are a satellite location of the private school) - this primarily effects the testing, enrollment, and grading requirements. When we belonged to one of these, we were required to submit health / immunization records and a birth certificate, and we had to have our kids take standardized tests every year.

Our current umbrella is much more flexible and doesn't have the health records and testing requirements. They also provide a good deal of guidance, especially when it comes to high school graduation requirements. It's also one of the least expensive that I know of. We are required to submit the subjects and teaching materials for each class (or description of teaching method) and report the number of school days per semester (180/year required) and subject grades.

Hope this helps.

Oh, Blount County? I think God made that area to give us a small glimpse of what heaven is going to be like :).

Edited by Susan in TN

Like someone posted upthread, you can either register under an umbrella school, register as an extension of a private school or register with the county. I also have never known anyone to register with the county, as they have to approve your education plan, you need to submit immunization forms and have to complete some testing. Everyone I have ever come in contact with belongs to an umbrella school. Everyone here mentioned Homelife. We actually register under Gateway Christian Academy. It costs $50 per child (with a max I think), we submit our educational plan at the beginning of the year (which means I give them a list of the books we will use for each subject), and grades and attendance each semester - easy as pie!

I wanted to mention them because they say on their website that they accept enrollment after August 1st. Maybe you could call them and find out about transferring halfway through the year. I hope it is okay to post their link...I don't know how else to do this - sorry! http://gatewaychristianschools.com/THE_Home2.html

As an aside, we LOVE TN! Except for the 105% weather we are having. lol!

We are also with HomeLife. I am fairly certain that they will accept new students at any point in the year. No need to register now! No required testing. As someone else said, Maryville has a great homeschooling community! Many of my friends there use Berean as their cover school. I believe they do require yearly testing through their school.

Ooooh if you're already registed then no need to register with HomeLife now :) I thought you weren't registered yet and just thought that this would save you an extra step in the future. Sounds like you're all set when you do arrive here then, just register with them when the time comes and they'll take care of your family! No worries! :D

Like someone posted upthread, you can either register under an umbrella school, register as an extension of a private school or register with the county. I also have never known anyone to register with the county, as they have to approve your education plan, you need to submit immunization forms and have to complete some testing. Everyone I have ever come in contact with belongs to an umbrella school. Everyone here mentioned Homelife. We actually register under Gateway Christian Academy. It costs $50 per child (with a max I think), we submit our educational plan at the beginning of the year (which means I give them a list of the books we will use for each subject), and grades and attendance each semester - easy as pie!

I wanted to mention them because they say on their website that they accept enrollment after August 1st. Maybe you could call them and find out about transferring halfway through the year. I hope it is okay to post their link...I don't know how else to do this - sorry! http://gatewaychristianschools.com/THE_Home2.html

As an aside, we LOVE TN! Except for the 105% weather we are having. lol!

This is us as well. Never had any problems with gateway and they are always super prompt in returning my e-mails.

When I pulled my dd from ps a few years ago, I registered with Homelufe in October. I don't think there is a deadline. They were awesome about it too....requested all her transcripts for me. Like everyone else has mentioned, it's super easy to hs here in TN, especially when using an umbrella:)

I am in TN (NE) and use FCA (Family Christian Academy) in Nashville. They take students from all over...not just TN. I'd see if you can register your children soon and that way they will be all set when you move.

With a cover school in TN, you register, log your days (180 a year) and report grades twice a school year. You also don't have to have a BA to teach high school under a cover school (you do if you register through the state) and you are not required to do any testing (though most people do just to have a record of it) if you are not registered through the state.

I could be wrong but I think the cover schools will take you when you move here but you have to be registered by August 1 to have your legal status covered. So I believe the August 1 deadline is for legal purposes. As long as you register when you get here I imagine that would be fine.

I'm not positive though. I'm the rogue homeschooler that registers with the school system. Which I really must do this week!

HomeLife will let you register midyear. We moved to Knoxville in January and registered with them. Every other umbrella school that I looked into would not let you register then. (Not that I did an exhaustive search, but the 5 I tried were no longer accepting famillies) Ditto on how easy HomeLife is. We had a crazy double move and had all sorts of questions and they were very helpful.

One more plug, this area is amazing for hsing. So many co-ops and opportunities. You'll love it here.

I also have never known anyone to register with the county, as they have to approve your education plan, you need to submit immunization forms and have to complete some testing.

This isn't exactly accurate. They *do not* have to approve your education plan for K-8. For K-8, you tell them which subjects you will teach (they don't approve subjects and you don't have to state your curriculum). However, for high school, there are certain subjects required, depending on whether the child is college bound.

The requirements are on the state web site here: http://www.tennessee.gov/education/homeschool/requirements.shtml.

I've registered with my local Board of Education for 4 years now. I turn in an application at the beginning of the year. At the end of the year, I turn in a calendar they supply with the days circled we had school (4 hours, 180 days). No grades or portfolios required.

I don't personally know anyone else registered with the Board of Education either. However, it has been a free, no-hassle option for me.

I don't personally know anyone else registered with the Board of Education either. However, it has been a free, no-hassle option for me.

This is great to know! Not to hijack the thread, but we are also moving to TN next year and since church-related schools are not an option (we're Jewish) I was wondering how it worked with the BOE. Glad to hear it's relatively easy.

This isn't exactly accurate. They *do not* have to approve your education plan for K-8. For K-8, you tell them which subjects you will teach (they don't approve subjects and you don't have to state your curriculum). However, for high school, there are certain subjects required, depending on whether the child is college bound.

The requirements are on the state web site here: http://www.tennessee.gov/education/homeschool/requirements.shtml.

I've registered with my local Board of Education for 4 years now. I turn in an application at the beginning of the year. At the end of the year, I turn in a calendar they supply with the days circled we had school (4 hours, 180 days). No grades or portfolios required.

Sorry to have misrepresented the info. Didn't intend to. :confused: