Menu

Talk to me about MEP please?

Sue G in PA

I was reading the large thread about Miquon and went ahead and got the entire set (90% of which I got on paperbackswap! :D). I noticed that Bill (SpyCar) also talks very highly of MEP so I checked that out as well. We currently use Singapore and I think Miquon is the perfect complement. I like what I see of MEP as well. Can you tell me how you use MEP...as a stand alone, supplement (if so, to what?) or along with 1 or 2 other programs...each carrying the same "weight" in your math curriculum. Is it easy to use? Solid? If you do use Miquon and Singapore as well, how do you add in yet another program w/out it being overkill? I would tend toward that extreme. :tongue_smilie: Thanks!

We use MEP stand alone. I have been using it since my oldest was using YR of the program and now we're doing it with our middler too and will use it for our little boy when's he's of school age. It's SOLID and helps kids to think in a different way of math instead of taking the simple math equations and moving on. MEP for us helps even us as adults think a little and we enjoy it right along with our children. MEP provide ALOT of "extras" that I use! I have printed and laminated all the posters, number lines, shape cards and shape cards with dots, number cards and the like. I find that at first I was printing the posters for my oldest last year knowing good well that my middler would need those same posters, laminated this year so we can reuse with marker board markers!!

Another thing I love about MEP is not only does it have an ENTIRE worksheet for review on the 5th day of the week...but it does PLENTY of hands on along with worksheets questions..however it's not one full worksheet and hands on..it's usually 2 or 3 worksheet questions and hands on. However they give you the option to do another question or two if you want. I feel so empowered to teach our children math when it was my LEAST favorite subject in school..it's now one of my favorites!

Now I'm of course bias because we've used this from day one and as a stand alone math. However I have attempted Saxon and thumbed through other math curriculums at our local book shop...but NOTHING has turned me AWAY from MEP.

We were using Ray's as our main and supplementing with MEP. We're still in our K5 year, using MEP Year 1. It got to the point where M-girl was asking to do MEP (and maybe 2 lessons) and never Ray's that I reevaluated and switched. I'm so glad we did, my son loves MEP too. I'm going to do Reception next year with R-girl. Fun fun :)

We are using MEP Year 1 as a supplement. Due to state standards, I would not be able to use it as a stand alone program. It goes into such depth with numbers that is doesn't comply with our state standards. We also use Singapore 1 as our spine. I did try Miquon to see if my big girl would like it and she enjoyed using the rods, not the worksheets. So we incorporate the rods into MEP and SM.

I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to work both together. We completed 30 lessons in MEP quickly before she was bored with working with equalities/inequalities because the problems in the beginning are rather easy. So I shifted back to SM and plan to compact through the rest of MEP 1a.

I like MEP and so does my big girl.

Hi, There is a thread, where people are commenting on MEP:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197832

As for me, I do like MEP as an enrichment program which is very similar to one I went through in my elementary/middle school years. I was in a group with extending learning of math, something similar to AP classes only for middle school kids:)

I am glad that there are people who are using MEP as a core curriculum. I have a couple complains regarding wording of few problems. English is not my native language so I asked my husband who is a very mathy person to interpret the British wording to me and they were not quite clear for him either. I studied British English and my husband has a very large British vocabulary too. We ended up interpreting it our way. There were nothing in Teacher's Lesson plans regarding those particular assignments. Not a big deal:)