Menu

All in one LA

sands1978

All in one LA recomendations

I am looking for an all in one workbook type of LA. SL LA is too choppy and it does not make sense for my brain... Since I have it I would still use some of the writting assignments but as far as teaching language I need something more structure.

I was looking into CLE really liked their samples but am ensure. Do you need to use their Reading with their LA. I am very happy with our SL readers and would not like to have to buy another reading program.

The next one I looked at was Rod and Staff. Has someone used it? Opinions please... Their Remedial English looks very good for my daughter that has lots of gaps in Language. Here again we already have our own readers and spelling so can their LA work independently.

Lastly I looked at Spectrum but it has so much stuff. I am only looking at using their LA and Test Prep. Would this work?

I am in my first year of HS and we have had quite a few set backs. After having all the drama we have had so far so I need all the advise I can get. Thanks...

Sands

Married to DH (12 years, Mar-2010)

DD - 10, Core 3, Horizon 3, Singapore 3A&B, SL Bible 3, SL LA3 all opt LA's, Simply Grammar, Science 3, Artistic Pursuits K-3 (Bk1), Co-op, Gymnastics, Ballet & Guitar

DS - 9, Core 1,Horizon 1, Singapore 1A&B, RR & TCTR, Readers 1, SL LA1, ETC 1-3, SL Bible 1, Science 1, Artistic Pursuits K-3 (Bk1), Co-op, Gymnastics, Karate, Guitar

We use SL and the CLE LA, just the LA. :) My older DD is using CLE 5 as a review, we are planning on using K12 Intermediate English A this fall. My youngers are working through CLE LA 1, since we discovered they weren't retaining with SL LA or VE, so we started at the beginning. They just took their first LU Test today. We still use AAS and HTW for my youngers. My older DD is trying to convince me to let her stick with CLE...

Edited by melmichigan

Does Classical Writing link with TOG. Before jumping into Sonlight I was considering using TOG just different levels but combining the kids in same history period. Their website made no sense to me and I could not locate a book basket. We do not have the same resources here as in the States and books are hard to come by and shipping on Amazon or Christian Books is very expensive. SL seemed a good option with everything in a box. Definately their SL LA is not a fit for us...

Also before jumping in I thoughy maybe the website is unclear but if I order a catalogue that it would be better. Still waiting more than a year later. I also ordered catalogues from VP, WTM, WP, TOG and SL. The only catalogue I received was SL. I started investigating HS early in 2009 and the kids only started Jan 2010. Sorry for the long words but I feel so isolated on the other side of the world...

Edited by sands1978
Spelling errors

Yes, the CLE LA can be used without adding in the Reading program. We use SL history, readers, read-alouds but still do CLE LA and add in the Reading. The Reading program for my 5th grader is only 1/2 year (5 lightunits) and so we spread it out all year. For my 2nd grader I only bought 1/2 year of the program (Helping Hands reader and the lightunits to go with it). I like their reading program and don't think it is too much additional work. (don't ask the kids or they'll say different)

The CLE LA is a fantastic workbook program that is all-inclusive. It is working for us.

I used CLE LA with BJU reading for my 1st grader. It was fine, IMO. I will be using it again this year without their reading. I like the math ,too.

I will say that my dd did 7th grade CLE reading this past year, and I really liked it. It's only half a year which leaves time for real books, too, I believe starting at 4th grade, the reading is only half a year. I may consider using it then.

Does Classical Writing link with TOG. Before jumping into Sonlight I was considering using TOG just different levels but combining the kids in same history period. Their website made no sense to me and I could not locate a book basket. We do not have the same resources here as in the States and books are hard to come by and shipping on Amazon or Christian Books is very expensive. SL seemed a good option with everything in a box. Definately their SL LA is not a fit for us...

Also before jumping in I thoughy maybe the website is unclear but if I order a catalogue that it would be better. Still waiting more than a year later. I also ordered catalogues from VP, WTM, WP, TOG and SL. The only catalogue I received was SL. I started investigating HS early in 2009 and the kids only started Jan 2010. Sorry for the long words but I feel so isolated on the other side of the world...

TOG has it's own writing product, I just don't use it. I prefer Classical Writing.

The nice thing about CW is that it isn't a full reading program, so you could easily still use the SL readers. Though it can be intensive and the Homer level in particular has a learning curve, but if you can get beyond Homer then the rest of the levels are written to the child and must be fairly easy because I don't hear complaints (my oldest is still in Homer B). Another similar program is Writing Tales, which is based on the same philosophy but more user friendly. BTW this is also the same philosophy WTM writing uses.

If TOG doesn't make sense to you, don't worry about it. If at sometime you need what it offers, I am sure it will make more sense then. I have used SL and WP, so if you have any questions in the difference between those, or what level of SL to use I could probably help you there. I used to spend a lot of time on the SL choosing form. :D

(((Hugs)))

Heather

CQLA covers, grammar, vocabulary, spelling, and writing. I just picked up a copy for my youngest. We have always used Shurley English and although it works like a charm for my older two, my youngest would rarely remember the jingles. We decided to try something with as much integration as possible.