Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Susan Wise Bauer

A math question for you all...

I'm a little behind, but wanted to post because we're doing something a bit different.

I used Chalkdust Pre-Algebra for 7th grade, finished Chalkdust and did the end of TT Pre-Alg for 8th grade, and then we're using Florida Virtual School for Alg I. I didn't see anyone else posting an on-line source for hs math, so I thought I'd add my little ol' $.02! :D

Miquon math lab sheets for kidlets--so they learn how to "go figure." :)

100's sheets for skip counting and pre-multiplication.

Triangle Flashcards.

Saxon 54, 65, 76, 87, 1/2, Algebra 1, 2, and Advanced Math--as per Dr. Arthur Robinson's method--self-taught. There truly IS enough in the books to help kids learn the concepts! :D

Our 22 yo taught herself through calculus. I bought the DIVE CDs "just in case" she needed it. She looked at 1-2 lessons of Adv. Math. The calculus DIVE is still sealed. She basically figured it out--she learned how to use Table of Contents, index, previous lessons--how to study.

DS, 14, is doing Algebra 2. DD isn't too far behind.

Cathy

As head proselytizer for the old Dolciani texts (not a family member who is in the royalty loop, but a believer, mind you), I will again argue the case for these books which were published in the '60's and '70's. They are solid in their development of the subject material. Many students who have parents participating in these boards use them independently (unless they have an enthusiastic mother peering over their shoulder who is compelled to point out something quite interesting in the material). The books introduce students to proofs. This is critical because many texts treat mathematics as algorithm after algorithm, without explaining the whys or connecting any dots along the way.

A student who works his way through Algebra I and Algebra II/Trig will see most of the material in a modern precalculus text. ......

Disadvantage: solutions manuals and teacher's books for these old editions are hard to find, albeit not impossible.

Jane

Hey Jane, I thought I was the head proselytizer for the old Dolciani texts! :lol: And while I don't have the solution manuals and teacher books, going through and doing all the problems before my DS is just helping me keep a Well Educated Mind in math. Plus I find doing math problems much more fun than sitting down with a novel.

I'm with Jane on using these old Dolciani texts, and in fact, I did a double-back-flip when I found my old high school text at a used book sale for 25-cents. Well, not really on finding the exact book I used, but the same edition as the one I had used.

I've taken one most of the way through so far and we started off with NEM 1-3, AND Dociani Alg 1 and Alg 2 w/ trig texts. This year he went through Foerster's Pre-Calc and it has been all review; a rather easy year in math for him. Next year he will go through Foerster's Calculus book and take either the AB or BC AP Calculus test.

I don't know the materials as well as I should, because we are going the DH Tutorial Route. DH is MathMan, and a much better teacher than I. DS is using MUS Algebra right now, grade 7. The plan, with whatever materials, is Algebra and Euclidean Geometry grades 8-9. Algebra II grade 10. Euclidean Geometry II Grade 11. Trig and possibly calculus in Grade 12. He is very focused on strong foundation as opposed to quick progression, so if calculus drops off, so be it. He has had conversations with many math professors and combining this with his own experience, he believes that solid understanding, at the gut level, of functions is much more important than having HS-level Calculus.

That's my 2cents contribution, which is being overly generous given what I really have to offer.

:)

The two older kids used UCSMP from Transition Math (pre-algebra)

• into Statistics, Functions and Trigonometry with the eldest (who had health problems and so didn't get as far as he should have), and
  • almost all the way through Precalculus (UCSMP's Precalculus gets through precalculus plus about half of what is in Chalkdust's Calculus) with Child #2.

The oldest currently tutors math while in college, and Child #2 scored high enough on the SAT to get a full-ride academic scholarship to the University of California. So, although UCSMP sometimes gets ragged on, it worked well enough here.

That being said, I didn't think UCSMP would be a good fit for my youngest after algebra. Therefore, he's done UCSMP Transition Math and Algebra, but is currently in Jacob's 2nd edition Geometry. I'm currently in the midst of obsessing whether to use Foerster, Chalkdust (Larson), or Lial with him for Algebra 2. I've worked several lessons in Forester and Larson, and so far like Larson a little better. (I'm referring to the texts alone, without the videos.) I'm waiting for Lial to arrive so that I can try it.

My two older ones were largely self-taught, coming to me only when they got stuck. In contrast, I've had to spend more time teaching Child #3. I'll probably be okay through algebra 2, but since my calculus days were almost 3-1/2 decades ago, I'll probably be spending this spring and summer trying to (re-)teach myself trig and calculus.

Actually, I'm kind of looking forward to it. . . .maybe a little.

Cathy,

Would you mind sharing how your 22yo did with standardized testing having used Saxon? My older is self teaching herself just as you've described your dd did and I'd love to hear how that served your dd in the long run. Please forgive me and feel free to ignore this request if you feel I've overstepped the proverbial boundary! Many thanks! Sharon