Menu

Catholic moms, need your advice again.

Ohdanigirl

Ds is 11, 6th grade age for U.S., and I believe he is ready for a more in depth study of religion. We have discussed other religions connected to our History studies and will keep doing so, but I am looking for ideas pertaining to our own faith, memory work, Bible study, Saints, history, book ideas, implementing beliefs in daily life, etc.

Since we are in Mexico all my children learn to use both an English and Spanish language Bible, learn prayers in both languages, and do their First Communion and likely Confirmation classes in Spanish at out local Church. This year I have seen a change in ds that leads me to conclude that he is maturing and ready for something more. Granted, he is still a bit innocent, but he seems to be asking and wanting to learn more about the whys, hows and why nots. He has asked about abortion, adoption and pre-marital sex recently. I believe this was as a result of a young pregnant girl (13-14) that he knows, my other ds hasn't even noticed her, but ds 11 was shocked and confused and even hurt for her.

So can I take a peek at what you ladies are doing for this age, and get some memory work suggestions (for all ages)? Thanks.

Danielle

I don't have one exactly your age, but I'll try to answer your question.

First, about social issues, we talk about them a lot and how they relate to our faith...in an age appropriate way, which really means me gearing it towards what I think the children in the room at that particular time can handle. We don't use any particular materials for that, but I'll also do things like read from the Baltimore Catechism and make it relevant to something the kids have seen, experienced or heard about.

For memory work, I really like the Baltimore Catechism. In the past, I've read the section, do the exercises aloud, and review the Q & A over the course of a week, and review previous chapters here and there. Having said that, for my 3rd and 5th graders this year, I got the books from Our Holy Faith series. I'd like to get them doing a little independent work in religion since we spend a lot of time reading Bible and saint stories. Our Holy Faith includes the Baltimore Catechism questions at the 5th grade level so I'll have to figure out how to do that memory work with our new routine. For your ds, the Baltimore Catechism #2 is the level that might work well for him. But if this is his first time, and you have a younger ds, you could start with #1 and work with them together. When my eldest dd received confirmation this year, her teacher said that it was the kids who used the Baltimore Catechism in their younger years that really knew there stuff.

My dc really enjoy biographies of the saints. That might be something to work into your curriculum and could be tied into history. There must be a resource somewhere that lists saints by the time that they lived so you could easily come up with something. I wound up getting a couple of the collections of saint stories that Catholic Heritage sells as reading comprehension for 5th grade and up a few years ago, and they were a big hit. I'm going to pull vol. 1 out for my 5th grader this year.

I have a Bible and other Catholic Bible history books on my shelf, but my dc love the Golden Children's Bible. They haven't liked when I've used anything else. It might be the pictures.

Hope something here helps.

... here are some ideas for Memory Work (Religion): ;)

The Apostles' Creed

I believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth.

And in Jesus Christ his only Son our Lord; who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead, and buried; he descended into hell; the third day he rose again from the dead; he ascended into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty, from thence he shall come to judge the quick [living] and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Ghost;

the holy catholic Church;

the communion of saints;

the forgiveness of sins;

the resurrection of the body;

and the life everlasting.

Amen.

The Ten Plagues

1. River turned to blood

2. Frogs

3. Lice

4. Flies

5. Murrain (the pestilence that killed the cattle)

6. Boils

7. Hail

8. Locusts

9. Darkness

10. Death of the firstborn

The Ten Commandments

1. Thou shalt have no other Gods before me.

2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image.

3. Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain.

4. Remember the sabbath [seventh] day, to keep it holy.

5. Honor thy father and thy mother.

6. Thou shalt not kill.

7. Thou shalt not commit adultery.

8. Thou shalt not steal.

9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.

10. Thou shalt not covet.

The Twelve Tribes of Israel

1. Reuben

2. Simeon

3. Levi

4. Judah

5. Dan

6. Naphtali

7. Gad

8. Asher

9. Issachar

10. Zebulun

11. Joseph = Ephraim + Manasseh

12. Benjamin

The Twelve Apostles

1. Peter

2. Andrew

3. James the Greater

4. John

5. Matthew

6. Philip

7. Bartholomew (or Nathanael)

8. Thomas

9. Simon the Zealot

10. Jude (or Thaddeus)

11. James the Less

12. Judas Iscariot (replaced by Matthias)

Here's a poem to help with the apostles:

Peter, Andrew, James, and John,

Fishermen of Capernaum;

Thomas and Saint Matthew, too;

Philip and Bartholomew;

James, his brother Thaddeus;

Simon, and the one named Judas --

Twelve disciples here in all,

Following the Master's call.

Corporal Works of Mercy

1. Feeding the hungry

2. Giving drink to the thirsty

3. Clothing the naked

4. Sheltering the homeless

5. Visiting the sick

6. Visiting the imprisoned

7. Burying the dead

Spiritual Works of Mercy

1. Admonishing the sinner

2. Instructing the ignorant

3. Counseling the doubtful

4. Comforting the sorrowful

5. Bearing wrongs patiently

6. Forgiving injuries

7. Praying for the living and the dead

The Seven Virtues

Justice

Prudence

Fortitude

Temperance

Faith

Hope

Charity (Love)

The Seven Deadly Sins

Wrath

Avarice (Greed)

Sloth (Laziness)

Pride

Lust

Envy

Gluttony

Hope that helps! :D

Here are a few suggestions.

An Advanced Catechism of Catholic Faith and Practice: Based Upon the Third Plenary Council Catechism

It's much like other Baltimore Catechisms, but many of the questions are followed by references to or quotations of the scriptures, which would make for nice copy/memory work. Copies can also be purchased from amazon.com.

RACE for Heaven's Study Guide for Mary Fabyan Windeatt's Saint Biographies Grade 6 by Janet P. McKenzie

McKenzie's saint study guides are fantastic. Laid out chapter by chapter, they include a poetic summary, timeline of events, map, enrichment activities, and lots more (vocabulary, narration prompts, etc.) for each saint studied.

Communion with the Saints: A Family Preparation Program for First Communion and Beyond in the Spirit of St. Therese by Janet P. McKenzie

This book covers Windeatt's biographies of The Little Flower, The Children of Fatima, and Bld. Imelda Lambertini, and Mother Mary Loyola's The King of the Golden City: An Allegory for Children. The guide covers 10 weeks of carefully planned out reading and study, including comprehension/narration prompts, discussion topics, lessons in practical application, a parallel figures chart, scripture selections and citations, selections from Carmelite saints to deepen prayer life, daily reading schedule, weekend projects, weekly themes for a daily journal (pg viii), and suggested resources for study of the Mass.

HTH.

-Jenny

Edited by Underdog

Below I've listed resources that we've used and/or will be using:

Saints

We read from 'Saints for Young Readers' daily, but here is a chronological listing of saints, along with where they can be found in the books.

Liturgical Year

You might also browse at 4Real to get some great ideas.

Ohh thanks ladies. I will take a look at those links.

Any of you ever use this book?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1933184175?tag=catholichom0c-20&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=1933184175&adid=0YTFV410QM5XEFTZRRD5&

I have been eyeing it for my littlest.

That looks so good. I've had my eye on that book for a while, and I'm not even Catholic. I just love looking at the Table of Contents -- it's so orderly. What does that tell you about my systematic brain? :glare:

Let us know if you get it, what you think when you use it. :D

"Memorize the Faith" is a great book, but surely you don't mean you are considering it for your 3 year old, your "littlest"? My husband really enjoyed it and your older two might as well. For some people, this method of memorization really clicks.

Ohh thanks ladies. I will take a look at those links.

Any of you ever use this book?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1933184175?tag=catholichom0c-20&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=1933184175&adid=0YTFV410QM5XEFTZRRD5&

I have been eyeing it for my littlest.

"Memorize the Faith" is a great book, but surely you don't mean you are considering it for your 3 year old, your "littlest"? My husband really enjoyed it and your older two might as well. For some people, this method of memorization really clicks.

LOL. Sorry I was referring to my almost 6 year old. He actually isn't my "littlest", I have a 4 month old. Not sure why I keep doing that.

Danielle