Menu

Miquon users... a question

These aren't needed for day-to-day teaching, but it's good to have read the Diary in particular to get a feel for the flow of the program. The Notes are less essential. Both can be ordered in downloadable form from CurrClick.com. It's easy enough to print them up two pages per sheet (to save on costs, if desired) if you don't have a way to comfortably read them onscreen. There's a preview for each at CurrClick as well:

Diary

Notes

I'm going to try doing without it (or find it used). If I get too confused, I'll quit and order the rest. I won't dig in and frustrate him. I just want this to work. He says he hates math, and I know he's hated everything else we've tried so far (except things like Sir Cumference... because that's not really math. :001_huh: :lol: ... so HE says! )

*another question*

This child is driving me crazy. He's all over the place when it comes to math. Conceptually, he's at a 4-6 grade level. Knowing math facts and doing actual work is more like... I don't know... 1st grade? 2nd? Is Miquon as easy as "they say" it is to skip around and learn what you need to fill gaps? Is it really something that will help him memorize fact families and boring stuff like that?

Yes, it is easy to skip around in Miquon. They have streams of learning, A, B, C etc and you can follow a stream or you can jump around but keep your pre-reqs done under various streams. Let me see if i can describe that better. Say you do A1, A2, A3 then skip to B1, B2 then C1, C2 then you want to go back to A you would do A4 next. My kids find that there is plenty of variety page to page that they don't want to jump from stream to stream. They like their check off charts at the end and want to finish that line or stream before moving onto the next. Most likely that is just them though :)

As far as concepts. You do know that Miquon finishes at a 3rd grade level. So if he is ahead of that conceptually he isn't going to be learning anything new from Miquon but might be happier with the way they encourage your thought processes.

As far as memorising fact families it certainly isn't drill & kill. I'm yet to evaluate how well the facts are stuck in there because so far i have not seen that as necessary. Both DD and DS can figure the answers very quickly and get it right and that is what matters to me at this point. That they understand the process and can use it effectively.

This child is driving me crazy. He's all over the place when it comes to math. Conceptually, he's at a 4-6 grade level. Knowing math facts and doing actual work is more like... I don't know... 1st grade? 2nd? Is Miquon as easy as "they say" it is to skip around and learn what you need to fill gaps? Is it really something that will help him memorize fact families and boring stuff like that?

This sounds just like my oldest a couple years ago. He really learned his facts through computer games like TimexAttack. I have really treated conceptual math and fact learning seperately. I don't know too much about miquon, but I get the feeling it covers more from the conceptual end. I'd just keep moving in both areas and by the time you get to algebra, fact knowledge will probably take care of itself. It did in our case.

A website with multiplication practice.

http://www.multiplication.com/interactive_games.htm

Ahaha, that could have described my dd. Math facts, pah. She was willing to figure out the answer every. single. time. She had to start algebra before she understood WHY I wanted her to memorize her facts and have them down cold.

Flashmaster. I wish I'd given in and bought it first, not turned to it as a last resort, but that's my rec.