Menu

my 19yo son just graduated from high school......

and yesterday received a summons for jury duty. He was bummed about it, but realizes that he can't get out of it so he just wants to get it over with.

It's in October so it's no big deal. He'll have to call a number to see if he really has to go or not so we'll just have to see. He's just a bit anxious about it, though.

Guest Katia

Same thing here. My 18yo dd just graduated from high school in May and was summoned for jury duty in July and August. She was really worried about it ;didn't think she was mature enough and have enough life experience to serve effectively.

So far all of the trials have been canceled, so she hasn't even been to the courthouse. :001_huh: We don't know what's up with that.

Now, if she had been summoned in the fall, she would have been excused as a full-time college student (in our state). We'll just have to wait and see if she actually gets any trial experience or not.........

I feel for you and your son.

4 times in my lifetime so far and, frankly, I'm sick of it. I know it's my civil right and all that, but, come on, enough already. Now I know it has nothing to do with vote reg or drivers license because son has neither. It's definitely due to either the town census or the national census. I know people who would love to serve and they never get chosen..go figure.

4 times in my lifetime so far and, frankly, I'm sick of it. I know it's my civil right and all that, but, come on, enough already. Now I know it has nothing to do with vote reg or drivers license because son has neither. It's definitely due to either the town census or the national census. I know people who would love to serve and they never get chosen..go figure.

Four times? We can get called up every year here.

I've been called up many, many times but I'm always knocked off the jury. I think I must exude opinionatedness.

I could be mistaken, but I think Massachusetts uses *only* town censuses for its jury pools. State law requires communities to conduct their own census and that information is used for jury pools.

The US Census has nothing to do with jury duty.

She didn't meet any of the requirements that allowed you to fill out a form and see if they will excuse her. If she wants to be excused she must go on the 11th to talk to the Judge and present her case and then she'll be denied or not. Two problems, our vacation is scheduled from the 7th to the 14th. 2nd problem dd jury duty would start on the first day of her classes. She goes to school in another part of the state and hope she will be excused because of that. We did talk to the person in charge of picking people for jury and she said she understood our position, told us to go ahead and write the reason she should be excused on the postcard and that we were signing for her since she is away working at a christian camp. We did that on Mon. Have heard nothing. The person we talked to said she'd probably be excused based on the note we sent in but couldn't guarantee it. She couldn't even guarantee that because dd is a college student elsewhere in the state she would be excuses from jury duty.