Menu

Acting younger to fit in

My 7dd is attending a GS day camp this week and I have seen some disturbing behavior from her. She comes home talking like a baby and her behavior has become rude and defiant. She has in the past done this "baby talk" with others in some social situations or after visiting her paternal grandmother. I know she is covering, trying to fit in, but how can I help her feel more comfortable so she can be herself? I am anxiously awaiting the end of this camp so I can have my little girl back. I am addressing the uncommon rude behavior but the baby talk has become a common response to social stress. Advice?

:grouphug:

My 7dd is attending a GS day camp this week and I have seen some disturbing behavior from her. She comes home talking like a baby and her behavior has become rude and defiant.
Is she gone all day? How much could be just tiredness and the freedom (with you) to be cranky at the end of a long day? Does she have down time at the camp, or is it go, go, go? I know that being with my DD's GS troupe for more than 5 minutes makes me cranky... I'm just not wired that way... makes me twitchy.

She has in the past done this "baby talk" with others in some social situations or after visiting her paternal grandmother. I know she is covering, trying to fit in, but how can I help her feel more comfortable so she can be herself?
I'm not sure what you mean by baby talk. I don't know 7yo girls that talk this way. Is she speaking like the other girls or is this unique to her (you'd mentioned it in relation to social stress)?

My 6yo does the baby talk thing, and I just read somewhere that it is common for GT kids to do that when they have been around peers. It is part of them being with kids as opposed to with adults. There was more to it, but I can't recall it all right now. I basically just filed it away in my brain as normal and left it at that. :D

She is speaking "baby talk" when she speaks higher than normal and in a slurred way, like a 4yr old, and her demeanor is very young like as well. She is also bringing home some slang and poor english...not good. I know she is trying to fit in because it is so unlike her to talk this way at home:(

My 4 year old talks like a baby after hanging out with her 6.5 year old cousin simply because she is still young and impressionable. I always say to my dh that she speaks like she did when she was 2 after hanging with the 6.5 year old. Some examples - "milkie" for milk. I don't like adding "y" or "ie" after words that aren't suppose to have them. Or I can hear the sing-song way the 6.5 yo says things coming out of my big girl's mouth.

It bothers me to no end but I just correct her and her tell her to talk like herself because that's who she is, she's not her cousin.

:grouphug: