Menu

New and Second Guessing

Hi all,

I am new to homeschooling. I have 3 children but only two are old enough to be homeschooled, my 2 year old will just be along for the ride. DD is 9 and DS is 7, they have both been in PS since K and are both gifted. They couldn't be more different if they tried though. DD is strong in LA and DS is strong in Math, DD is easy going and DS is my challenging child. DD is all for homeschooling she's just very concerned about missing her friends as she's my social butterfly. DS doesn't have many friends and couldn't care less that he's not going to school. He is against going to school as well as homeschooling, in his words "school is stupid and the people who made the laws that kids have to go to school are stupid" <sigh>

Anyway, I started off with Sonlight 1&2 which DD loved but DS HATED so that went back. I now have SOTW 1, Horizons Math 3 & 4, Wordly Wise 2 & 4, MCT Island level, Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding, Logic puzzles, Creative Problem Solving, and I am thinking about ordering WWE 2 & 4.

I am concerned that this is geared too much toward DS though and that DD is not going to thrive. The science that I have says it's for grades K-2 so I feel like I need something else for her. I am second guessing everything I do or think which I know is not good but I am so afraid that I'm going to miss something. UGH.

Amy

Newbie HSing Mom to my 3

DD-9, DS-7, & DD-2 along for the ride

I have teens (12 and 15) and have only been homeschooling for a few years. But, one thing I've found is that they each thrive using very different materials or they use the same materials in different ways. One advantage with homeschooling is that you can tailor to the child. Another thing I've found is that if I do get the right curriculum for each, it really does save a whole lot of time and energy - both mine and theirs. Having a good fit makes the teaching and the learning so much easier.

Edited by DebbS
repetition

FWIW, I think the science should be fine for both your kids. I'm going to be using it with 6 and 8 year olds. I'm using WWE1 and 3 with them now and it's great. Of course, I'm just starting out, so not sure how useful my info is.

Hi. If your dd is strong in LA, she may enjoy some of the selections on Ambleside Online. A number of the selections are public domain and available online for free, so you could try it out before taking the time to buy anything else.

Take care,

Suzanne

I just posted a new thread and our situations are similar. I have one child who also has the "school is unnecessary" syndrome. He's been sort of lost in the public school system. He behaves well and does his work, so he just kind of sits around being forgotten. I'm hoping that bringing him home will ignite the love of learning in him that will open up a new world to him.

I hope both our boys will grow in this! I'll keep an eye on your progress. :001_smile:

Meredith

Thanks everybody. I'm starting to relax more and really get down to what I want to accomplish.

I am going to attempt to incorporate some of the Sonlight books for DD, thanks for that suggestion. I know it's an obvious one but it was escaping me. I realize I have been overthinking everything.