Menu

What did you use with snap circuits?

I'm planning an electricity unit later this year and want to use snap circuits. My understanding is that they come with an instruction manual for directions to creating various projects. (If that's not accurate, please correct me!) What did you use to go along with these? Living books? I'm looking for some kind of spine to give a basic knowledge of electricity. My own knowledge is seriously lacking. (Around 4th grade level seems to be right for him with science and reading.) Any suggestions??

:lurk5: We'll be coming up on electricity in MPH this fall, and I was thinking of ordering Snap Circuits. DD looked through the books and declared "Oh we get to go science shopping!" I guess she'll be thrilled just to replicate the diagrams in the book, but it would be nice to go a bit beyond that if she's having fun.:D

We only have the most basic Snap Circuits Jr (100 series) set.

As fun as it is to make the projects in this kit, there is very little explanation of the "whys" and "hows" of the way electricity works.

But Snap Circuits does publish Student Guides for all the levels so children can get an "electronics education" along with building the projects for fun.

I have not seen these Student Guides personally, but have a high interest in them. Hopefully someone with more knowledge about them will chime in.

Bill

But Snap Circuits does publish Student Guides for all the levels so children can get an "electronics education" along with building the projects for fun.
They provide the theory missing from the project guides. You can adapt them to the child's level, even just using the diagrams and paraphrasing the content. I highly recommend them -- heck, I'm almost over my own mental block when it comes to electricity and electronics (dating back to 1983) thanks to them.

Spycar - as someone posted above, you can look inside the Snap circuits student guides at Rainbow Resources. Also, perhaps a year ago, I thought I wrote up a fairly extensive post about these guides. I recommended them to a friend and she liked them. If you have the 500 kit, you need the student guides for both 100 and 500 kit, don't just buy the 500 kit guide.

Ours also came with a guide that explains the objective and the "whys". Although dd can read, I read it aloud afterwards, as it's kinda dry. We have the junior set that has about 50 different things to build. It's more of something she does in her free time, like lego- but I try to stop and explain the "whys" whenever she's built something she's really excited about.

Also, perhaps a year ago, I thought I wrote up a fairly extensive post about these guides.

I tried to search for this post but couldn't find anything that long ago by your user name? Did you have the same user name? Or am I search-challenged? :confused:

Bill, thanks for the info on the student guides. I just went and ordered the ones for the 500 set. I noticed that there is a "green" set coming soon and I hope the guides will be available at the same time. Ds will be very excited.

Faith

I hope they prove useful. I always trust Moira on these matters and am looking forward to using them myself :001_smile:

Bill