Menu

Plaid Phonics or Explode the Code?

kymomof3

We have used both. I really did not like ETC. I find the pictures juvenile and hard to figure out at times. There were things that just didn't seem to make sense time and time again. I know that there are many who love it, we just didn't. We are currently using MCP red plaid pig workbook and love it. My son loves it and asks to do it every day. It's visually appealing and interesting. The pictures are real photos and are clear and make sense. We're finally getting into some new material for my son and it is challenging him, but he still enjoys it.

I wouldn't use Plaid Phonics with your Phonics Pathways, mainly because it isn't as strong in phonics as PhonicsPathways.

I really don't think it's necessary to have a workbook of some kind to reinforce the phonics. If you want extra stuff, why not get some of the Dorbooks extras, like the Traingames, or add Reading Pathways.

If you still feel the need for a workbook, ETC would be more compatible, IMHO.

Plaid Phonics is much stronger in phonemic awareness than ETC. We've used both and they both have their strengths. Once you get past short vowel words in the A book of Plaid Phonics, it seems to move a little fast. Instead of covering each phonogram separately, it covers ay, ai, and a_e all at once.

Having said that, I use Plaid Phonics with my 2 that struggle with reading and my 6yo dd has used it this year (but won't need it in the future.)

I use Phonics Pathways, and I like them both.

I like Explode the Code for reading practice. This can be done mostly independently, and the way the questions are worded I can usually tell if my child read the words or just guessed.

I like Plaid Phonics for spelling practice. It also provides reading practice, but to me, its strength is that it has the child use their phonics skills and apply them to spelling words. By the end of book C they've covered syllabication, dictionary skills, contractions, and other skills that are often found in spelling workbooks.

So, I'm now using them both. I intend to have my younger two sons work through Plaid Phonics A-C (ds4 is in book A and ds6 is in book B). Ds8's spelling improved after completing book C last year, and ds6 has stronger spelling skills than any of my other boys had at 6 and he completed book A last year. This might just be coincidence, but I really don't think so. In addition to Plaid Phonics B, ds6 started ETC4 last year and is nearing the end of it. I plan to have him work through the rest of the books to reinforce phonics skills (he's reading now, but I want to make sure some rules stick).

So, all this to say they both have their strengths, but I think they're different. It doesn't take long to complete a page or 2 out of each.

I haven't used ETC, but have looked at it and decided it was too black & white and repetitive for us. We have Plaid Phonics B, and like it. It's very appealing, colorful, more fun than ETC for us. We have used it some following OPGTR, so I think it would go well with Phonics Pathways. I don't agree that it isn't as strong as PP; you're looking for a workbook supplement and not an entire program so I would think either would work depending on what you like the looks of. I wouldn't bother trying to match it up with PP, which I once considered with OPG.

I use Phonics Pathways, and I like them both.

I like Explode the Code for reading practice. This can be done mostly independently, and the way the questions are worded I can usually tell if my child read the words or just guessed.

I like Plaid Phonics for spelling practice. It also provides reading practice, but to me, its strength is that it has the child use their phonics skills and apply them to spelling words. By the end of book C they've covered syllabication, dictionary skills, contractions, and other skills that are often found in spelling workbooks.

So, I'm now using them both. I intend to have my younger two sons work through Plaid Phonics A-C (ds4 is in book A and ds6 is in book B). Ds8's spelling improved after completing book C last year, and ds6 has stronger spelling skills than any of my other boys had at 6 and he completed book A last year. This might just be coincidence, but I really don't think so. In addition to Plaid Phonics B, ds6 started ETC4 last year and is nearing the end of it. I plan to have him work through the rest of the books to reinforce phonics skills (he's reading now, but I want to make sure some rules stick).

So, all this to say they both have their strengths, but I think they're different. It doesn't take long to complete a page or 2 out of each.

:iagree: We are also using both as well.

I have only used ETC, and we are big fans here. I'm on my second round with it, and I love hearing DS crack up over the same silly sentences that his sister loved a couple of years ago. I like the fact that the pictures are silly enough to hold attention, but in b&w, which my kids tend to find less distracting. I also love the fact that it can be done independently.

I used Plaid Phonics with my K'er last year. I thought it would work for her. It seemed colorful and fun. But it turned out to be SO BORING for her. It was just too much sitting and worksheets. And all of the lessons were the same--just substituting the focus. It was taking her longer and longer to do, and I finally just gave up on it. I have now switched to SWR.

DS is a workbook kinda kid and we use paid phonics as it is more colorful and fun. We had ETC and he just didn't like it as much. That said we also do SSRW so he gets workbooks there too so the plaid phonics is more of a just for fun thing for him.

To jump in on this thread ( I was wondering the same thing - Plaid or ETC?) -

I saw ETC online through Homeschool Buyers co-op. Looks like I could get it for DS8 and DS6 with one subscription, and it would be great for independent work.

At our narrative assessments, however, the gal who reviews their work recommended Plaid Phonics. I have used both at different times with my older kids - the jury is still out on which I thought was most beneficial....

Would it be overkill to do both? Would DS8 get enough phonics with just ETC? He has had Abeka phonics up to this point. He will be using AAS as well, fyi.....

I am not familiar with Plaid Phonics but I have now taught two boys to use using ETC. I love it b/c it is inexpensive and easy to implement. The fact that the illustrations are quirky are actually a bonus for my boys as is the fact the books are b&w (minimizes distractions imo).

I think it is as much how you use a program as much or even more that what you use often times. Most any program implemented with diligence, regularity and consistency will work well for most children (not counting those who may have ld's or other challenges).

To jump in on this thread ( I was wondering the same thing - Plaid or ETC?) -

I saw ETC online through Homeschool Buyers co-op. Looks like I could get it for DS8 and DS6 with one subscription, and it would be great for independent work.

At our narrative assessments, however, the gal who reviews their work recommended Plaid Phonics. I have used both at different times with my older kids - the jury is still out on which I thought was most beneficial....

Would it be overkill to do both? Would DS8 get enough phonics with just ETC? He has had Abeka phonics up to this point. He will be using AAS as well, fyi.....

Before you spend the money for ETC online you may want to do some online searches on the board for old threads that talk about it. It seems that many do not like the online version for various reasons. I do not remember all of them and I am sure many do love it. You just may want to know the positives and negatives before spending the money.

Personally I would not like the online version because I love the writing component to ETC. Now if I were using the online version simply as a supplement, that would be a different animal altogether!