Menu

Scholarships

creekland

Wow... my son just got an answer from the last scholarship he applied to and got a really significant award. I am so thankful that I really can't describe exactly how I feel... money is VERY tight right now. I very rarely say it on a non-Christian message board, but THANK YOU GOD!!!

The real reason for the post though is to remind everyone with a graduating senior to have them check their local ps guidance department monthly for scholarship opportunities - esp in the spring. That's the ONLY way we found out about this one. It wasn't advertised anywhere else. My oldest almost didn't apply for it as he thought it was for ps kids only, but it wasn't. I prodded him to apply. It took him a little while to complete the application and we had to send in official transcripts + references. Then we forgot about it. Today he got a letter in... (see first paragraph).

This award is likely to take away some of his gov't sponsored loans as well as provide the rest of the difference between our EFC and what he was awarded from the college. I'll take a scholarship over a loan ANY day. This is also renewable, but he has to apply every year, and presumably, keep his grades up.

I tried to look up the sponsor on the net, but all I can find out about it is that it's a registered non-profit organization from a neighboring county. I wish I could find out more. You better believe my oldest will be sending in a thank you note to the caretaker that sent us the award letter as soon as he gets back from his mission trip!

Homeschooled kids can win outside scholarships. He's lost a few (and won another), but those were minor compared to this one he won. They were all worth applying to!

Congratulations to your son, and I will join you in giving thanks to God! We were also blessed with a scholarship from my husband's employer ($2000) which will help cover books and fees. We rejoice that his tuition is covered through a generous scholarship from the university. I thought my son might have some leftover money from the 2K scholarship in case he wants to take a summer class or something, but after looking at the list of fees and guessing about book prices, I don't think so anymore! Now we can apply that 2K toward room and board and transportation and...

Again, congratulations!

Blessings,

April

Rejoicing with you, Creekland!! And we are praising God here as well. We received the same type notification regarding a scholarship that basically does the same thing, replaces loans and then a bit! We thought it was past the dates on this one. We ALSO were notified that payment may not be made until OCTOBER...so, while it is a huge blessing, I think it's going to keep us on our knees until it's actually PAID. LOL!

Awesome! There *is* a lot of money out there if one can only find out about it. And, of course, some professions have better offerings than others. A dear friend's daughter (homeschooled) won a $5000 scholarship in an essay contest here in OK! She found out about it from her grandmother who was a school teacher and keeps up with these things. She turned in her essay just minutes before the deadline! Congratulations to you and your son!

Congratulations!

I have worked with some of the volunteers who run our local community foundation, and they are fantastic. They put in many, many hours to run it, and really appreciate personal notes. Your son's will probably be read aloud at their next board meeting, and they will remember him next year when he reapplies - all good things!

I'm glad to hear it's really come together for your son.

GardenMom