Menu

Where to by school desks?

scrapbabe

A friend of mine teaches at a small private school. She had some desks (like the kind used in public school) stored in her garage that they weren't using. She said I could use them this year - which was perfect since for the first time we have a designated school room.

However, she just called today and said they needed the desks back. My kids are bummed and I am too. Where can I buy some school desks without spending a fortune?

Shalynn

My dh went to the local public school the other day and asked the head custodian if they had an old desk they would sell. He was given one and told that if he wanted more at some point to stop back. I never could find a good place to buy them so for now this works good for us.

What do you consider a fortune? The top Google hit for "school desks" sells 'em for $40 each, with $70 shipping for all four of them.

I would ask around at flea markets and auction halls. The folks who frequent these places will know where and how to get odd items at a bargain.

Edited by dragons in the flower bed

Our state has a surplus place where you can buy used office and school items.

:iagree:

Check with your school district. Wake County in North Carolina used to have a monthly sale. School desks were usually around $5. Also a good place for bookshelves.

I found ours via a craigslist ad for chalkboards. I just emailed them and asked if they had any desks too. They did :) It was a private Christian school that was downsizing. Maybe calling around to some of your local schools would help?

Our state also has a surplus outlet where you can get used school furniture.

I get mine here http://www.schoolroomfurniture.com/Virco-785-VR2264.html I LOVE these desks! We have two now and will get one more at some point for the new DS :) we got blueberry with maple top and they are super cute and well built adjustable height desks.

This is exactly what I got too, just last week! I love it and so does my son. We were working at the kitchen table and it was hard for him to write since he's small.

This desk is adjustable and I also bought a chair (14.25"). The chair was around $20 I think. Best purchase I've made in a long while. I think all told WITH shipping it was 80.00 (desk and chair).

That desk that Aoife linked is the place I got it from and thats the desk, although I got the plain black with honey oak top. Now I need to get another set because my 2 year old keeps wanting to steal his seat and sit at a desk too lol

I have been checking craigslist for months with no luck. I've heard that the district does an end of year surplus sale... but no one seems to know anything about when or where. I even called the school district and no one could help me. I've talked to teachers too who say it's a complicated process and they don't even know how to score old desks. I guess I could buy new.. but have used up most of my school budget. Had I known a couple of months ago that my friend would need the desks back, I'd have included it in my budget. I thought they were just extras. I never would have taken them if I'd known they might need them this year. Uggh... I am so bummed. I finally had my school room organized and decorated the way I want... and now there's no where to do our schoolwork.

Shalynn

I have been checking craigslist for months with no luck. I've heard that the district does an end of year surplus sale... but no one seems to know anything about when or where. I even called the school district and no one could help me. I've talked to teachers too who say it's a complicated process and they don't even know how to score old desks. I guess I could buy new.. but have used up most of my school budget. Had I known a couple of months ago that my friend would need the desks back, I'd have included it in my budget. I thought they were just extras. I never would have taken them if I'd known they might need them this year. Uggh... I am so bummed. I finally had my school room organized and decorated the way I want... and now there's no where to do our schoolwork.

Shalynn

Wanted to add, I got ours on Craigslist on July 30 last year -- I remember the date 'cause it is the day after our wedding anniversary -- this might be when you find them.