Menu

compacting Singapore

This is the first time I'm contemplating doing radical compacting. How do I and/or should I do it with Singapore Primary Math?

Here's the background-

Ds (11) worked through 5A before going to school last year. He was put in the "fast group" 6th grade math. They started Pre-Algebra in May. Math was easy for him all year and most of it was review. His grades were very high.

Now we're back to homeschooling. I figured we'd start where we left off. So, we're in 5B. He's doing a LOT of complaining that it's all review. (Any more hysterics and I'm going to nail him to the ceiling by his toes!)

I flipped forward in the book and I see some new topics: rate, averages, triangles, 4-sided figures, and tesselations. I can see each of them taking only minutes to teach him, however, as he seems to have hit some sort of "math elevator." Things have started to click for him. He has clearly told me that he already understands some of the things (like averages) that we haven't touched yet.

So I want to just do the textbook and put the workbook away completely. I think. I have the Intensive Practice books, which are great for him, but I'm a little scared to skip entire workbooks. I've skipped here and there before, but never entire workbooks. Someone reassure me!

Anyway, so I have the IP and the CWP books. I plan to use most of them. I also have NEM 1. It looks like a lot of review of PM 5 and 6! Help!

When my oldest came home from ps, we just did the Reviews in the textbooks, and then I'd add a little on any topics that he needed to actually learn. I didn't even purchase workbooks or any other resources ... textbooks only. 5A-6B took us 2-3 mo, and then we moved on to LOF because he was a bit younger and NEM just LOOKED overwhelming to him. (He came out of school March/April of his 4th grade year, so he was still only 9 ... I think we'd started the Singapore review in February, seeing that things weren't working out.)

We skipped the 3A and 4B workbooks and did 2+ lessons each day in the textbook. This took maybe 6 weeks. We also skipped reviews (we're using the Standards edition) but are now doing them along with the mental math and CWP at a leisurely pace this summer.

I love how easily Singapore math compacts when I need it to!

We skipped the 3A and 4B workbooks and did 2+ lessons each day in the textbook.

Truth be told, this is what I've done since last week: 2+ lessons in the textbook and skipping the workbook. I feel a little nervous, though, like I need him to *prove* that he can do it completely independently (a la workbook).

Okay. I'm just gonna :chillpill: and skip the workbook for now. Once a week I'll give him a review to do independently. If he aces it I can breathe easily and just keep skipping through the textbooks.

What about the NEM 1? How have you all found it? Mostly review? Did you compact NEM 1 too? (eek.)

When my oldest came home from ps, we just did the Reviews in the textbooks, and then I'd add a little on any topics that he needed to actually learn. I didn't even purchase workbooks or any other resources ... textbooks only. 5A-6B took us 2-3 mo, and then we moved on to LOF because he was a bit younger and NEM just LOOKED overwhelming to him. (He came out of school March/April of his 4th grade year, so he was still only 9 ... I think we'd started the Singapore review in February, seeing that things weren't working out.)

I'm *dying* to try LOF. :lol:

I can't justify buying more math curriculum, though. I still have the Primary Math, plus there's NEM 1 and VideoText Algebra on the shelf.

What's wrong with me? (I'm not even really all that *into* math. Seriously.) :tongue_smilie:

I'm nowhere near your grade level, but what we've done for 1A/1B is to do the textbook only, orally, until DD is shaky on a concept, and then slow down for that topic only. We've had days where we do entire chapters, and times where we sit on a section for a couple of days. (We also do a little of IP from the book before each day).

Could you give him the placement tests for the end of 5/ beginning of 6? (And then end of 6/ beginning of NEM if it looks likely?) Then if you end up placing him up... I would still do the word problem books just because they're my favorite, but you really could skip the rest I think, if he places out of them.

Lots of folks with advanced/gifted kids use the IP book in lieu of the regular workbook.

My DD isn't even intuitively "mathy", just quick to pick things up. We're using the TB, IP, CWP, & Right Start games. For certain units, I am using the Math Mammoth "blue" workbooks to supplement SM, but that hasn't been necessary for most chapters.

My daughter had come from a Montessori school prior to being home schooled. I started her with 5B because although she technically passed that level, there were things on the test that she was unfamiliar with. It took just a few weeks to work through the 5B book. What I did with the chapters that she knew was to present the whole chapter rather quickly and then just have her do some of the end of chapter reviews. Usually I would pick out the more difficult problems from the reviews so she didn't get too irritated with the repetition. When something was new for her, I had her do more practice problems. It worked very well for us. She got through 5B, 6A, 6B and started NEM in one year.

I also have NEM 1. It looks like a lot of review of PM 5 and 6! Help!

We've started using NEM 1 and it doesn't seem to me to be a review of the primary level. Like the other Singapore levels, it does build on the previous.

Another consideration for a student who is talented in math is Art of Problem Solving. Many people move to it from Singapore Primary rather than going on with NEM. Both are considered very strong programs.