Menu

Is your child involved in BMX?

My 7yo son and 6yo dd want to do this but I have no idea where to even begin. A quick google search on BMX NJ doesn't help because it appears there is nothing in my area.

They go on trails mountain biking and they can hold there own but my ds wants to learn a few tricks and race. DD would try but she is happy just mountain biking.

Also, if your dc do it, do you feel it is risky or basically safe? Do you have to travel or do the kids practice in the yard/street? How did your child get started?

Thanks!

My ds12 wants to get involved in BMX. There is a track about 45min. from us where he can practice. We found a bike at Walmart.com for $99 that the ABA recommends for beginners. Seems Walmart is working with the ABA to mass produce a good quality, inexpensive BMX bike. Nice. I worry about safety, but this kid wants to play football, too. :001_huh: Heck, any sport can be dangerous these days. Our assoc. pastor at church was really into BMX as a kid and said he broke his fair share of bones. :glare: I know I'm not much help right now b/c we are just getting started.

I have a couple of guys that BMX. I pm'ed ~Tara~ a ton when we first started and she was so helpful!

I'll try to pass it on:

I don't know anything about the Wal-mart bike. I would call the track and see if they have loaner bikes and helmets for your first few visits. We bought starter bikes that ran around $300 each. They would have lasted longer, but one of our sons really loved it, so we upgraded bikes quickly.

You can not use mountain bikes on a BMX track. You need a BMX specific bike and it must be for dirt track racing, not tricks. BMX tricks use a different type of bike that is much heavier.

Your child will also need a full face helmet. This is required at our track! Long sleeve shirts and gloves are a must, and even in the summer, my sons wear the long padded pants. They are allowed to wear shorts, though.

Flat shoes, not running shoes are needed for traction and my sons are Required, by me, to wear a chest protector! If they forget the chest protector, they do not ride!!!

BMX has been so much fun for them. It can be very expensive, if you travel, however, if you only do nearby races, it's not too costly. As I mentioned before, I don't know anything about the new ABA Walmart bikes, but the kids that have the big, heavy bikes, are the ones that quit. Most BMX bikes only weigh 10-12 pounds.

Have fun!!

My ds12 wants to get involved in BMX. There is a track about 45min. from us where he can practice. We found a bike at Walmart.com for $99 that the ABA recommends for beginners. Seems Walmart is working with the ABA to mass produce a good quality, inexpensive BMX bike. Nice. I worry about safety, but this kid wants to play football, too. :001_huh: Heck, any sport can be dangerous these days. Our assoc. pastor at church was really into BMX as a kid and said he broke his fair share of bones. :glare: I know I'm not much help right now b/c we are just getting started.

Thank you for your thoughts. :) I hope your ds12 does well!

I have a couple of guys that BMX. I pm'ed ~Tara~ a ton when we first started and she was so helpful!

I'll try to pass it on:

I don't know anything about the Wal-mart bike. I would call the track and see if they have loaner bikes and helmets for your first few visits. We bought starter bikes that ran around $300 each. They would have lasted longer, but one of our sons really loved it, so we upgraded bikes quickly.

You can not use mountain bikes on a BMX track. You need a BMX specific bike and it must be for dirt track racing, not tricks. BMX tricks use a different type of bike that is much heavier.

Your child will also need a full face helmet. This is required at our track! Long sleeve shirts and gloves are a must, and even in the summer, my sons wear the long padded pants. They are allowed to wear shorts, though.

Flat shoes, not running shoes are needed for traction and my sons are Required, by me, to wear a chest protector! If they forget the chest protector, they do not ride!!!

BMX has been so much fun for them. It can be very expensive, if you travel, however, if you only do nearby races, it's not too costly. As I mentioned before, I don't know anything about the new ABA Walmart bikes, but the kids that have the big, heavy bikes, are the ones that quit. Most BMX bikes only weigh 10-12 pounds.

Have fun!!

Thanks Jan! :) That was very helpful!