Menu

Good activities for a second grader to do independently?

Jenny in GA

I'm doing something different this year -- my youngest will be going to pre-school, so for the first time I'll just be home with two school-age kids in the morning.

My girls will be in fourth and second grades.

I'm planning to work one-on-one with each girl while they're in another room working on something independently, then switch. I'm not sure what to do with my younger girl, in particular. I've never sent her to another room to work on stuff alone.

One concern is that I want to make sure she does it, even though I won't be watching her.

Another concern is that ... it's hard for her to write much, if that makes sense. For example, she is in WWE Level One, and we do the short sentences, but it still takes a lot of effort for her to do that, and the letters are still kinda shaky. So if I send her to her room and ask her to write for 30 minutes -- or even do a math sheet where she has to write lots of numbers -- I think that will be asking for trouble.

If I ask her to read during that time, I'll have no way of knowing that it gets done. Plus, I'm already scheduling a "quiet reading time" for both girls. Computer software would probably work, but I'm not sure I want her to do that every single day.

Things that I'm planning to do with her one-on-one are WWE, AAS, and FLL. We do MUS for math. For the girls together we're planning to do SOTW for the time, and something for science.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jenny

This year, my second grader will do Explode the Code, memory work (I record it on the computer for him to listen to), math facts practice (on my iphone) and handwriting by himself. However, I could never have gotten my older son to do these things alone in 2nd grade. It just depends on the kids, KWIM? One thing I do that helps with compliance is have ds6 work in the room with us. I can glance over and see he's at least attempting the work....

What about an art activity? Explode the Code (this can be modified and done without a lot of writing)? Quarter Mile Math? Hooked on Phonics Master Reader?

Does she need to be working on something during this time or can she just have the time to play? There's no need to add work to her day if she'll be covering everything with you.

I have the most success getting my younger son to do independent reading (he's a strong reader) and activities on the computer. Anything else, like his math workbook exercises or paragraph writing, is hit or miss. Apparently, many times dust motes are more interesting.

Maybe you could try some file folder games/activities. Once you show her how to use it, she can do these independently.

http://www.homeschoolshare.com/file_folder_games.php

These are for workboxes but they are similiar to file folders games:

http://www.homeschoolshare.com/workbox.php

You might be able to match these or time these with the topics you are covering in FLL, math and spelling. They also sell file folder game/activities that are completely ready-to-go. All you have to do is punch or cut them out-very nice and easy!

Here is an example of one:

http://www.amazon.com/File-Folder-Games-Color-Ready-Skills-Independently/dp/0439517672

Puzzle maps, drawing from a nature study book or real object, tracing maps and labeling them, drawing or use Legos, modeling clay, etc for extension in history topics, etc. might be other ideas for independent work.

I am always running into this same issue. I am daily knee-deep in math or latin with my older dd (big age gap-she's in 8th this fall) and my younger dd is nearly done with handwriting, language lesson, math and independent reading.:lol:

Edited by Kfamily

Drawing or crafting

Easy Mind Benders

Dot-to-Dots & Mazes & Color by number

Free play at a table/desk with manipulatives, lego's, and/or anything that keeps building her fm skills in general.

Judging from my own 2nd grader....I would not think in terms of requiring independent school work, but giving guided play-time. ymmv

Drawing or crafting

Easy Mind Benders

Dot-to-Dots & Mazes & Color by number

Free play at a table/desk with manipulatives, lego's, and/or anything that keeps building her fm skills in general.

Judging from my own 2nd grader....I would not think in terms of requiring independent school work, but giving guided play-time. ymmv

:iagree:

If you want to keep her busy, but not off playing, I would go with more play like learning opportunities. Mazes, dot-to-dots, puzzles, etc. (Mazes & Dot-to-Dots will be good for her handwriting too!)

There are also some easy logic puzzles that could be done alone.

Things my rising 2nd grader uses that I think many kids that age could do on their own include:

SWO

Miquon

Singapore (the Workbook pages)

Rosetta Stone spanish

Handwriting pages (printed from ZB fonts online. . . you can get double duty by typing up pages that are memory work!)

My 2nd grader happens to be very independent, and she often goes off an also does these things independently:

violin practice

violin listening

piano practice

reading

Other things that she no longer does but that we've used previously and would fit the bill for many 2nd graders:

flash cards, wrap-its, calculadders, or other fact drill

Explode the Code

computer based math games

computer based foreign language programs

video/audio things

One thing I've learned is to pick less teacher-intensive programs when possible and when it didn't make much of a difference in quality. I try to reserve my teacher intensive stuff for specific curricula that I believer are *significantly* better than the alternatives. To get "mom time", it's got to be *really* good!

FWIW, with a 2nd grader, I'd want to plan to poke my head in every 15-20 min for sure. Staying on task would be hard and I wouldn't want to create a situation where we were battling constantly. Perhaps you can schedule that into your plans. . . a 2-5 min break with the older between subjects (while she gets things out, rests her eyes, does a quick drill. . .) so you can touch base with your little and redirect her gently. . . Your 4th grader could probably go much longer on her own. . .

Also, I'd consider choosing some nice audio books (good ones, childrens' classics, etc.) and just having your 2nd grader lie on a couch with a blankie and perhaps a cat to cuddle. . . after you put the story on. Only rule being not getting distracted with toys, etc. . . so she'd need to stay on the couch. Then I'd plan to spend 1-2 minutes at the end of her story time asking her what happened in the story that day and enjoying a bit of interaction about it (narration, etc.) before moving on to the next thing of the day. It could be a special time for her and would eliminate your stress of supervising her. At that age, my dc can get their schooling done in quite a bit less time than a 4th grader, so she can likely get all her regular subjects done easily in the *other* time you have with her when you are more available to her.

HTH

I haven't read the other replies, but my daughter just finished 2nd grade and here are some of the things she did independently.

CLE Math and CLE LA (after I briefly went over the lesson with her)

A Reason for Handwriting (I watched her write each word or letter once and then she did the rest on her own once I was sure she was doing things correctly)

Piano practice

IEW's poetry memorization

Critical Thinking Company's Reading Detective Software

Critical Thinking Company's Building Thinking Skills Software

Math Fact Practice (Software)

Assigned Reading

She has a weekly checklist which helps her to stay organized.

Lisa

I bought Mightyminds and Super Mightyminds... http://www.amazon.com/MightyMind-40200-SuperMind-Regular-Edition/dp/B00001N2MX/ref=pd_sim_t_1 to keep him occupied but still working as well as Rush Hour which we ALL love http://www.amazon.com/Think-Fun-5000-ThinkFun-Rush/dp/B00000DMER/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1279593094&sr=1-1 because it is a fabulous way to begin logical thinking.

Most of our curriculum requires me to be pretty hands on though.

What level does your student do? Do you have your dc speak into the microphone?

Thanks!

DD7 is in level 1, in unit 4 (of 10 I think).

We have the microphone and have goofed around with it sometimes, but I don't think it's that great, so we generally don't use those exercises very often. DD7 does all the other exercises.

We see a spanish tutor every other week for verbal practice, and all 3 dc study spanish. . . so they get their oral practice that way. If we did not have the tutor, I'd have her do the microphone exercises for sure. They're fine, but just not a priority for me.

One concern is that I want to make sure she does it, even though I won't be watching her.

Jenny

I started GWG 1 and 2 at the beginning of 2nd grade, and kiddo finished both in 11 months, easily. He got very independent with it. Less writing in GWG 1.