Menu

What would you do if you knew you would live to be 100?

My husband's grandfather just died this morning. Today we were going to celebrate that he lived to be 100 years old. We went last night and saw him so I am glad we didn't wait until today. Pretty amazing. I was thinking, hmm, if I would live to be 100 that means I still have 60 years of life to live....What would i do with myself?

My dad lived to 97 and my mother to 90. Both were *very* spry until about 88. They traveled. They lived very frugally on their investments, and at the end of the year they totted up what they hadn't spent and took a trip. Down the Mississippi, across Russia by train, and one year around the world by boat.

Once Papa couldn't travel anymore, they settled into gardening. After he was nearly deaf and blind, he sat out on the sun porch and sang to himself.

All that seems like a decent plan to me.

My grandmother is 97 and is still in her right mind and very active. She fell and broke her hip 2 weeks ago, had surgery to insert a rod and is now in a rehab home doing extremely well. I hope if I live to that age that I will be as alert, competent, agile, active, etc. as my grandmother. I visited her today and was just marveling at how wonderful she looks 2 weeks after breaking her hip. Amazing.

My dh's grandmother lived in her own home and took care of herself right up until she died peacefully in her sleep. She was healthy, alert and agile. She exercised every morning, walked all over her small town and never really had a taste for sweets or junk food. Since we're LDS, she also never smoked or drank alcohol. I want to grow up to be just like her. :D

Diane W.

married for 22 years

homeschooling 3 kiddos for 16 years

My grandmother recently passed at 99, a week before an early 100th birthday celebration was scheduled. She traveled to Israel at 93, was a docent at a museum until her mid 90's, ran her church library until a few years ago. She had a masters degree in entymology (the first woman to earn one at her university) and was a voracious reader. Last summer was the first time she had had to limit her time in her garden, her abiding passion. She raised 6 children, had 34 grandchildren, and 99 great-grandchildren, all but 2 of which(direct descendants) were living at the time of her death.

She remained in full possession of her faculties until the day she died. She payed her last months bills and filled out her 2009 tax form.

I sure hope I have her genes. In any case, I would love to live into old age if I could do it like she did. I think the key is to remain active and continue to contribute meaningfully to family, community, church.

My maternal and paternal g'mas lived well into their 90's and it was a huge gift to our family. They left a wondeful legacy. They were lovely people and told stories, and loved the people around them. They were very generous & engaged to the end. My paternal grandama was taking cruises in her 80's. She loved them. lol My maternal grandma went out every single day. She'd walk to the markets/mall, and she was always ready to go anywhere! She went to WDW when she was 91. lol Oh, she was a spry and wiry one!

Edited by LibraryLover