Menu

Anyone used Visualizing/Verbalizing?

hsbaby

I am considering purchasing Visualizing/Verbalizing for my dd. Looking through the catalog, though, there is a lot to choose from. If you have used this, what do you feel is necessary? I definitely don't want to buy the $400 kit!! DD is 13, but has special needs and read on about a second grade level. Thanks!

We have just started with Visualizing and Verbalizing. I purchased just one set (3 books) of the workbooks for my dd's grade level. I do know other people -- with special needs kids -- who have gone the workbook route at home (with VV) and had success. I also know someone who took her ds to a Seeing Stars course -- the boy's reading level jumped dramatically.

Even though the books are not large, I find that the work goes slowly, if you do it thoughtfully. So, using just the workbooks will take up quite a bit of time.

In an ideal world, you would take your dc to a LMB learning center. With budget constraints, the workbooks are a good way to start.

Edited by Alessandra

I am considering purchasing Visualizing/Verbalizing for my dd. Looking through the catalog, though, there is a lot to choose from. If you have used this, what do you feel is necessary? I definitely don't want to buy the $400 kit!! DD is 13, but has special needs and read on about a second grade level. Thanks!

I bought the manual used and plan to just apply it to WWE. Same thing I am doing with Seeing Stars, I bought the manual and have been using the concepts with AAS for the last year.

Course I haven't read my VV manual yet, so I am not 100% sure it will work, but the same author wrote SS and they work on similar skills, so I am betting it will work.

Heather

We are doing this ourselves at home. I purchased the older edition manual, have read through it once like a novel and am now going back through it checking myself for understanding. I plan to begin the program in the Fall.

One thing you should know as you purchase materials: Nanci Bell recommends that you purchase low level workbooks. So if you child is reading at a 5th grade level, she recommends the 3rd grade workbooks. If your child is reading at a 2nd grade level, she recommends using the beginning workbooks...first grade level. You want to use lower level materials to teach visualizing. You are not teaching content...you are teaching the skill of visualizing.

The second thing you should know: If you can't visualize yourself, then you cannot teach this program. So be sure you have adequate comprehension/visualizing skills yourself. When I read something, I can see it in my mind. For instance: Right now outside my window, I see a fat, brown squirrel with a bushy tail sitting on top of an old red birdhouse, hung on a young oak tree. He is peaking over the edge, into the little hole so that he can steal birdseed. Can you see it? If you can, you will probably be able to teach the program...but there is a learning curve in that you will need to learn how to question your student so that he can begin to see it too.

I was able to purchase an entire kit at Ebay for $60.00. But if you get the older edition manual (which is just fine...it is very explanatory and contains scripted example lessons), all you would need to purchase is the workbooks, plus some felt squares in different colors. (You will learn how to use the felt when you read the manual.) If I'm understanding the manual correctly, the questioning can be applied to any descriptive reading material. But the workbooks walk you and the student through the process. There seems to be less guesswork as a result.

The ISBN to my manual is: 0-945-856-01-6, copyright 1991

I hope this helps!

Can you do the program with just the workbooks though--does it lay it all out?

That is hard for me to answer. We are doing fine, so far, without the TM, but, since I don't have it, obviously I don't know what I am missing. I will probably get one, once I know that the program will work for my dd.

Perhaps someone with more VV experience can answer your question.