Menu

Need book recommendations by Monday

My son has been attending a gifted camp all week. One of the mothers there approached me after hearing me say we're homeschoolers. She's visiting the camp from the United Arab Emirates with her son and said that her options over there are extremely limited. Her son is also accelerated (at home, without recognition from the government), but the school is unwilling to recognize any type of giftedness, etc. even with test scores in hand. She's also not able to homeschool over there. She's looking for a book that would be a quick read and would would make a nice gift for her son's teacher. When he finishes early, he's handed more work. Not better work. Just more work. That's what she wants the book to accomplish... how to challenge one child without neglecting the rest of the class or putting too much stress on the teacher. Ideas?

I'm looking forward to any book recommendations as well but maybe the mother can prepare some packets of advanced work for him to do when he's done with the school work. That way the teacher won't have the extra work. I don't know how the system is set up there but it doesn't appear that they are too receptive to differentiated work so I'm assuming the teacher will not make an extra effort to plan it herself but perhaps if it is provided to her by the parents, she will be more receptive.

alison

I really don't know. I know that he was in one school this past year and allowed to accelerate one grade level because of the birthday cut-off (which didn't help), but that he'll be moving to a different school next year, and that school isn't expected to accept the acceleration. He may actually have to repeat 1st grade. Sheesh!

http://www.amazon.com/Teaching-Gifted-Kids-Regular-Classroom/dp/1575423294/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279476374&sr=8-2

This is a good one, but may be more applicable to US schools than those overseas. It's more appropriate for MG or accelerated kids than for HG+ ones (it's just plain not enough for HG+ kids).

http://www.amazon.com/Teaching-Gifted-Children-Regular-Classroom/dp/1575423278/ref=pd_sim_b_5

This is similar, but K-3 focused.

Most of the others I know of tend to be of the "get gifted kids out of regular classrooms" ilk, which can be downright frustrating if that's not an option for you.