Menu

Classical House of Learning Literature

Pata

Has anyone here used this program? I'm looking at possibly using the modern program next year and I have a few questions. Are there any read-alouds suggested in it? Is it as easy as it looks to match it up with SOTW for the year? What did you think of the last two books scheduled (When the Tripods Came & Amoung the Hidden)? The reviews on those at Amazon said that the themes in them were best for children around 12-13, my dd would be 9 when we got to that part. Finally, are you glad that you used it (IOW-did it save you planning time, was it easy to use and did your dc enjoy it)?

Edited by Pata
adding book titles

I have not used this literature program, and I am not familiar with it.

However, "When the Tripods Came" was written by one of my favorite authors as a young teen: John Christopher. We read one of his books together as 5th graders in school.

John Christopher won the Newberry Award for "The White Mountains." The other two books in the series are "The City of Gold and Lead" and "The Pool of Fire." I read and reread this series a couple of times as a teen, and a couple of times since then. I own the series, and I look forward to sharing it with dd when she is of an appropriate age.

"When the Tripods Came" is a prequel that was written more recently. I have only read it once, and that was more than a decade ago. If I remember correctly, it deals with issues of sticking together as a family, conforming with society, and television. (All this, plus alien invasion; what more could you ask for???).

Best of luck at making good choices for your family.

I haven't used this lit program at all but Among the Hidden is one of my absolute favorite contemporary books for children. The whole series is riveting and introduces all sorts of neat topics for discussion, like freedom, governmental control, civil disobedience, etc. Sure, older children can have deeper conversations about these issues but it's not like you can't talk to younger kids about them, too. For me, knowing that Among the Hidden is on a syllabus would make me more interested in the curriculum for sure!

Off now to check out the program you mention!

Thanks guys, it's good to know that those two books are good. I'm really interested in using this, but I was a bit wary because I'm not familiar with those books at all.

I had forgotten that Laura was a member here (that's what having an infant does to you!). Laura if you out there, are the read alouds still suggested in your program? I know they were there in the beginning, but I don't see them in the new sample.

If anyone else has acutally used CHOLL, please chime in!

Popping in to answer Paige's questions. I am out of town and am answering on my iPhone so this will probably be brief. ;) What I did with SOTW was match the literature selections to the chapters. Longer books span several chapters, not all of which will be relevant to the literature. I didn't have time to do a set of family read alouds for Modern, but there are so many books in the Grammar Stage program that I assigned some for my oldest to read alone and did others as a family. While I'm pretty sure I hit every author on the WTM reading list (plus a few others) there was no way to include ALL the Little House books or all of Kipling, etc. Those would be a good choice for family read alouds as well. I'm in the process of editing Ancients for Grammar Stage. I have a list of suggested family read alouds for the year, but I'm going to flesh out something for my LS dd in lieu of writing the family read aloud component this year. :)