Menu

Printer recommendation

Lexmark Platinum Pro905. It's one of the new "eco friendly" models.

I looked at laser printers and determined that the ink was not really any cheaper. And, if you add in color printing and 2-sided, those lasers get very expensive.

The Lexmark was not cheap, but the black ink cartridges are $4.99 each...my older printer ink was about $25 a cartridge for the same number of copies. Also, the color inks can be replaced separately. My old printer had a single color cartidge...so when one color went out, I had to replace the whole thing...

Anyway, I know this isn't what you asked for, but I have been very pleased with this one.

hth

I have a canon pixma and I go through ink like crazy! Bad part...apparently you can't refill canon cartridges (at least that is what Office Depot/Max told me. If anyone knows differently please tell me! :001_smile:) so it's not $10 for black ink for me. It's $27. :tongue_smilie: You may want to stay away from canon...unless someone can correct my understanding of the ink refilling! :001_smile:

I recently bought a Brother 330. It was on sale at Office Max for $45. The toner last a really long time it yields something like 3000 pages but it is just black and white. The toner is about $45 if you buy it from Office Max but I just found a site on the web and ordered a refill kit for $24 and so far it has worked great and was super easy to do. Hands down this printer has been the best investment I have made!

We have a Samsung ML-1640, that I got half off at a sale at Office Depot. So far I love it! We haven't had to replace the cartridge yet, but I've been told that it's easy to refill and that the toner is cheap. Happy printer hunting!

Thanks for the recs everyone. I'd forgotten about the cost of toner. The all-in-one I'd bought clearanced at Office Max/Depot 4-5 years ago finally decided to become unfixable (by us at least). I didn't use it very often and I have been taking some things to Kinko's, which isn't as cheap as I'd thought. When I was organizing folders, I noticed how many PDF workbooks I have, and how I probably have enough info on my computer to educate my youngest K-5. :D I just need to print it all up.

I highly suggest a Kodak Easy Share All-in-One. Cheap ink ($17.99 for two black inks at Sam's which will last a long time!) but great prints. And I print most items for school on the draft setting to make the ink cartridges go a bit further.

I recently bought refurbished HL-2140 from Staples and have been very satisfied. Staples also has the wireless version of the same printer HL-2179 for $20 more. I also bought generic high-yield toner from meritline.com ($18 shipped when it's on sale). You may also check ebay for generic toners.

Currently they both show out of stock. But they usually come back in stock pretty often (like in a couple of days or a week). Just need to check often and buy fast because these two printers seem to be popular.

Here're the links for reference:

HL-2140: http://www.staples.com/Brother-Refurbished-HL-2140-Laser-Printer/product-nr_792930?cmArea=SEARCH

HL-2170: http://www.staples.com/Brother-Remanufactured-HL-2170W-Laser-Printer/product-nr_770702?cmArea=SEARCH

If you can get hold of a coupon, that'd be even better.

--mycherubs

Hey, thanks! The wireless one is available again right now! I'm going to get it!

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5586945&CatId=2713

This is what I'm getting. I've got a Mono Laser and a color all-in-one inkjet. I really want to be able to copy things on the laser though. I get toner refills super cheap from tonerkits.com. Regardless of what printer you get, I encourage you to try them at least once. It can save you a ton of money on toner.

• 2 weeks later...
Staples currently has the new (not refurbished one mentioned above ) Brother HL-2170W for sale: original price $150-$60 instant savings-$25(use coupon 29250)=$65.

You can use some cashback site to get addtional 1%-2% cashback.

Staples Item #: 714526

or use this link:

http://www.staples.com/Brother-HL-2170W-Laser-Printer/product_714526

Thanks! That is a really good deal. I think I will go ahead and get that one.

http://www.provantage.com/brother-dcp-7040~7BRTB01U.htm

I love my brother dcp 7040 printer. I get my toner refills from ebay for dirt cheap each bottle last over 1800 copies. I purchased 3 bottles together for $25.00!(together including shipping)

I does it all and works on win 98 , win xp, win 7 and even on my linux machines.

HTH,

Penny

We have a 7020 and love it as well. Anything in that 70-- line is good.

One thing about laser is that yes, the toner is expensive but do the math and it's still a whole lot cheaper then inkjet. A few cents per copy compared to 11 or 12 cents.

Granted, to get an affordable laser printer we had to give up colour but I haven't missed it at all. I even have a colour inkjet in a closet I could use if that was an issue but it hasn't been used since we got the dcp 7020.

So, what is a good, inexpensive laser printer? It's an unexpected school expense right now, so I want one to be affordable. :glare:

Thanks.

I don't know if you can ask around businesses there (or post on Craigslist?) to find laser printers they're getting rid of, but still work. We have about 6-9 printers that dh has gotten free from businesses just upgrading. I've been using an old HP Laserjet for the past several years (using the toner that came with it) and it's been great. We just sorted through the extra printers and will keep 3, but I wish I could find someone locally that could use some of the other ones (I'm not sure all the others work, but at least a couple do).