Menu

Singapore Math users - Are you switching to the Standards Edition?

Sorbie

Ds9 is close to finishing 3B, so if we are going to change editions we will have to do it after this school year. I am wondering if other users are going to change or just stick with the US 3rd edition. I see pros and cons to both.

Thanks,

Amber

I will not be switching over to the Standards edition. I haven't looked in-depth at the differences, but if CA public schools are creating the standards, I'm not interested.

That's funny. My mother just retired after working in a southern California school system for over 30 years. When I mentioned changing editions to her she basically said if it's a California standard you don't want it. I am strongly leaning towards staying with the 3rd edition, even for my 6 year olds.

-Amber

to the Standards Edition recently after finishing 2B of the US Edition and are happy with it so far. In the end, the main reason I chose the Standards over the US Ed is because this is our first year of hs'g (pulled my dd out of ps at the end of Feb) and I wanted to correlate with the s&s of our ps in case hs'g didn't work out for us (we are cautiously optimistic and taking it on a year by year basis). I didn't want her to have gaps if we decided that ps/private would become an option again.

The only complaint I have with the Standards Edition is that they currently do not have a Home Instructor's Guide (I think it's coming out this summer??) and the teacher's guide is expensive and geared towards the classroom. However, I felt comfortable enough at this level (3A/3B) to go on ahead without it.... When we get to the upper levels, not so much. :)

On the flip side, I will say I questioned whether I should even bother with the Standards Edition due to all the debate out there regarding the "what/how much/when" on math instruction in the US (and to which is likely to change....) It seems as though right now the whole approach to math instruction in our country is along the lines of "a mile wide and an inch deep" and I know that recently a math panel appointed by the president finally came out with a statement saying as much. Their recommendation was to scale back a little in the breadth of what is being taught and focus on content, understanding, and mastery..... (in a nutshell).

Here is one article concerning this http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/13/AR2008031301492.html If you don't have time to read this, the below quote sums it up.....

"The panel concluded that the math curricula and textbooks in elementary and middle schools typically cover too many topics without enough depth. It noted that countries in which children do best at math, including Singapore and Japan, emphasize core topics."

The Standards Edition was created to comply with California's current s&s.... who's to know if that's going to change and when....

HTH,

Jacey

that if I knew for sure that my dd would not be going back to ps that I would have stayed with the US Edition. She is very good at math and I was concerned that if we didn't follow our state's s&s and then decided to return to ps in the next year or two, that she would be put in a lower math class b/c we didn't cover the same content.... This is the only reason that we went with the Standards Edition. (BTW, CA's s&s pretty much reflects our states' current math standards)

Jacey

No, because my daughter uses the IP books instead of the workbooks, and these are not available (yet?) in the Standards Edition.

I read the comparison at the SM site (but have slept since then -- probably should read it again). However, I left with the impression that the main, noticeable difference is that there would be more review built in, which doesn't seem like it would hurt. I did notice, though, that the Standards edition costs twice as much!

Will you guys share what your reasons are for sticking with the U.S. edition? Is it just that you already own the U.S., or is it something specific about the Standards edition that you're avoiding or feel is unnecessary?

Will you guys share what your reasons are for sticking with the U.S. edition? Is it just that you already own the U.S., or is it something specific about the Standards edition that you're avoiding or feel is unnecessary?

I read through the comparison as well and looked at the samples.

1. They changed some of the pictures and stuff to a point that it didn't have the character of the U.S. Edition which I hear doesn't have the character of the 3rd edition. Basically, the names, pictures and flavor are really apealing for my dd. We like doing word problems about beef and chicken satay. She likes to eat chicken satay too.

2. My oldest is in level 3 and she might miss something if we switch between levels because of the way they reordered things.

3. It works the way it is and doesn't need to be fixed.

4. She really doesn't need lots of review but to learn the material and move on. Singapore works for her because it is visual, logical, gets to the point and moves on. We don't do the same thing over and over and over again.

Other people probably have other reasons.:001_smile:

I read the comparison at the SM site (but have slept since then -- probably should read it again). However, I left with the impression that the main, noticeable difference is that there would be more review built in, which doesn't seem like it would hurt. I did notice, though, that the Standards edition costs twice as much!

I was leaning towards sticking with the U.S. edition mainly because it is working well for my son. I chose Singapore in the first place because it introduced topics in a logical way - not just because they will be on a test. My main concern with the std edition is that this aspect of the program will be compromised. There is also the price aspect.

On the other side of the argument, SingaporeMath says that there are subtopics added back in from the 2nd edition that they feel are beneficial to the program. Also, the statement on the Singapore website about carrying the products indefinitely makes me worry that the 3rd edition might not be available later on for my 6 year olds so I should switch now.

If the new edition hadn't come out, would I even be considering changing programs? Since the answer to that question is no, we are going to stick with the 3rd edition. But maybe I should start hoarding workbooks.

-Amber

I've been reading the SM site, and the reasons to swith to the Standards edition seem compelling. In fact, I was ready to order the Standards today. We are looking at incorporating Singapore into our current MUS curriculum. Hmmmm....maybe I'll take it a little slower and see what happens.

Gee what a shock :) You mean kids are better off really learning the important building blocks (like adding, subtracting) than "being exposed" to geometry and algebra before they are ready and before they really know their multiplication tables! It amazes me that it takes panels and studies to tell us what we already know :)

Multum non multa!

I am wondering if other users are going to change or just stick with the US 3rd edition.

Well, we only have level 6 to go, and I've already bought the books ... but if we had more years to go, I definitely would NOT switch. I've heard that the "Standards" edition is a public school edition, which in my way of thinking is always dumbed down. No thanks from this family.

karen

I think the biggest reason we were considering making the switch was for the amount of review material in the Standards edition, but having considered both the success of the US Edition and the price of the new one (yikes), we'll be sticking with what we have now. This will be the first year I'm planning to add at least one of the supplemental books, and that should help with review as well.

and I have to say that honestly I don't think it's SO different that it makes much difference, KWIM? I do remember when trying to decide b/w the two liking the idea that the Standards Edition had more review, but everyone's absolutely right on the price thing. Plus, you can always supplement with extra worksheets or Singapore workbooks. I don't buy too much in advance (ie...only bought 3a/3b) so I will be re-evaluating after we're done with those to see if I will stick with the Standard's Edition or go back to the US Edition.

To be fair, regarding the thread's that remarked if the text had anything to do with the CA standard's that they didn't want it anyway....I don't think the new edition is lacking anything that it had before just because it aligns with the standards- or that the quality was compromised in any way. I just think some more concepts were introduced....(probably un-necessary for hs'ers though) and much of it has to do with what/when concepts are introduced. Plus, I am under the impression that they (SM) added some things back into it that had been taken out of the US edition. I felt a little comforted by that- figured maybe they took a look at it and tried to see how they could improve.... Just my 2 cents :)

As with so many other things....it's not necessarily WHAT is being taught but HOW it's being taught. When my dd9 was in ps, it wasn't the s&s of the math that I was greatly unhappy with, but HOW they were teaching it. They were using a "reform math" program that was just awful!! (Don't get me started on what happened when mult/division were introduced) :) Frankly I was quite shocked when we brought all her work home from school and saw the actual math that she had done up to that point-- it was absolutely ridiculous in how skimpy the work was. And on top of that....many times the teachers utilized the "let your neighbor check your answers" system (in 3rd grade mind you).... what a waste that was-- half the time my dd's work was wrong and she didn't even know it. They made their own mult flashcards out of grid paper with the answers on back and it wasn't until I got a heads up to double check them that I realized how many mistakes she had made. Had I not been told (by her teacher after school one day) to double check them, she would have learned many of her mult facts wrong. When I brought her home to hs, I had to bump her back to 2B to fill in the gaps-- that was pretty ironic considering she was in the advanced math group at ps.

Jacey

We are sticking with Singapore 3rd edition because back in 2001 I was so thrilled to have found this series that I bought the entire series for all three kids in advance fearing that one day this might go out of print.

The third edition does not include problems with our system of measurement but once the kid knows how to do multi-step word problems and has their basic facts down cold that it doesn't require much explaning at all for them to measure items in feet and inches and convert units between ounces and pounds.

My sixth grader is about 2/3rds of the way through ninth grade algebra right now after finishing the primary series and if there is a "gap" in the third edition I certainly haven't seen it slow him down in algebra one bit.

My second son doesn't need extra review of basic number facts or algorithms, but he needs more help with two step word problems. For that I am keeping a separate notebook and I write out each of the word problems that he misses. After some time has elapsed I go back and have him solve these problems again.

It may very well be the case that an American version of Singapore must include extra practice because, unlike Singaporean culture, the teachers can't count on their students' parents reviewing with extra workbooks at home.

About those California standards. For a long time California did have notoriously rotten standards but it seems that they have recently reformed them and they are now considered some of the best in the nation. (So, I do know where the lady is coming from when she says she's going to stay away from them! They weren't always good and for that matter I still would use them only as a starting point rather than as commandments)

Fordham has a "grade card" of math standards from around the nation and I recognize the names of three research mathematicians that contributed to that: David Klein (from mathematiciallycorrect.com) Ralph Raimi (New Math guy from the 1960's, (he's got a fabulous website about math education) and William Quirk (with whom I corresponded about math programs before I found Well Trained Mind)

As a homeschooler it was useful for me to look through the standards at Fordham as well as mathematicallycorrect.com and Ralph Raimi's articles to get some idea of how to judge a good math book for myself.

I had no idea there was another Singapore Math. Like some others, when they announced the US version I bought up the old 3d ed for my younger ds. We use R&S for drill and review anyway, and I figured I'd save a few bucks not getting new coursebooks. Now several years later--surprise--we have a third who, I expect, will be using SM in a few years. If I hadn't read this thread I would have been a bit confused when it was time to order. I guess I have a little more math curriculum checking to do. :001_smile:

Cinder

Myrtle, if you were just starting out with Singapore, would you switch to the Standards? We started our ds(7.5) on MUS, and I'd like to supplement with Singapore, and eventually switch over completely to Singapore. Any advice? Thanks, and thanks, as well, for your great posts. You always inspire me.