Menu

Any experience with sedation dentistry?

My eldest DD (14) has such anxiety at the dentist that she won't even let them in her mouth. It has now been a couple of years since (at least, maybe 3) since she has been to the dentist and that office won't even treat her anymore.

She has, however, been to the orthodontist regularly (and now that I think more about it, I'm not sure why she'd let the D.O. in but not the D.M.D). She had an orthodontic follow-up appointment yesterday and they sent home before and after braces photos of her mouth. She has 3 very obvious cavities and absolutely needs to go to the dentist.

Has anyone had any experience with sedation dentistry? I know it will be expensive and that there are different levels of sedation, but I haven't experienced it myself so I don't know what to tell her about it. I also don't know if maybe we should just try it the normal way again since she's a little older, but then if she has another bad experience I'm afraid she'll never go back again.

Anyone have experience with severe dentist anxiety? What have you done?

I have anxiety about big procedures, but so far, the dentist's reassurances and nitrous oxide have gotten me through.

However, if it gets bad, my regular dentist will prescribe the equivalent of a valium for procedures. I would love to do that every time, but then I have to find a driver to get me there and back. So far, I've made it without.

If that would be enough for your dd, it wouldn't be that expensive.

I think you should get lots of recommendations from friends and call the offices to find out what they think they could do to help.

My dentist is wonderful and goes through a spiel before every procedure that really does help me. Tells me that I am the one in control and they will stop anytime I want them to for any reason, etc.... I've never had to stop them, but I do repeat it over and over to myself. :)

I used to be fine going to the dentist and then one time I went and there was an earthquake right as the dentist was drilling in my mouth. I havent been back since. I know there isnt much chance of an earthquake happening again while i'm there, I just cant bring myself to go. I need more treatments so the plan is for the dentist to prescribe me Xanax the next time.

Thanks for the responses.

I had a long talk with DD this morning about the importance of dentistry. She has no idea why it freaks her out when the ortho does, but she's willing to give it a try again.

I'm not sure how comfortable I am giving a 14 year old Xanax, but I also don't know why I shouldn't, especially if it helps her get through the appointment.

I suppose we'll just have to see what happens.

My husband had a bunch of procedures done with sedation. It's extremely expensive! He took pills at home at a certain time and then I drove him to the office and waited in our van with infant twins while they worked on him, then drove him home. He was out of it for the day.

I would only do it if there is no other way because of the cost.

When I was about 12 I would freak out like your dd. It was so bad the dentist prescribed Valium. Yeah, that didn't work. In my panic I metabolized that stuff really quick. Try having her put completely out.

I have a horrible mouth because of my overwhelming fear of dentists. The only time I go is when the pain over takes the fear.

my son also has major anxiety. He's been gassed and that seemed to help, valium did not help at all, like Parrothead my son metabolized quickly.

I know it may be too late but here's a suggestion for what it's worth: find a different dentist. I only say that b/c my son for what ever reason didn't like the dentist when we were in Cheyenne but where we are now he likes. You have to trust your dentist and if you don't that just compounds your anxiety.

the other suggestion and this was a total surprise..........MP3 player with headphones. I'm sorry but no one, no one doesn't like the sound of the drill and listening to music seriously helps!!!!

Just as a "let you know". Last October I needed two molars removed and since there was a chance they would break and require further work, they sedated me. I wasn't completely asleep but I don't remember a single thing about it. However, apparently I didn't respond well to it. They said I really fought against them and made it really hard. As a result they cut my tongue really bad and that combined with violently throwing up for about 12 hours after made it not worth it. I wish I would have tolerated the deep numbing but I also have such severe anxiety over the dentist. It ended up costing almost $2000 and no insurance. It truly was a nightmare recovery. I'm a laid back person so there was just no way of knowing how I would react.

The other issue is - if you're out of it, you don't know what's going on. You don't know how they're treating you. One of the people in the room was really rude to my dh while he was under sedation because he asked a question they'd already gone over. I was not pleased. If my child, especially a teen girl, were having something done under sedation, I would probably want to be in the room, or at least in the hallway if there wasn't enough room.

It's the only way I'll let them do any work (I'm okay with checkups & cleanings though). I think my anxiety from going to the dentist was a combo of having my wisdom teeth yanked out and too much nitrous. It was like a bad acid trip :tongue_smilie: That same year I had an abscessed molar - Vicodin only dulled the pain, that certainly didn't help.

Last time I went they gave me triazolam. It was great :D I had no side effects. I was awake and had only a faint memory of anything they did (went in to have half my amalgam fillings removed, replaced with resin, and a crown put on). I walked out of there on my own with a clear mind. The dentist still insisted that my husband walk me to the car, out of the back of the office and spoke only to him lol I guess I metabolized it quicker than expected.

I'm going back later this year to have the rest of the amalgam removed and I will definitely do it again.