Menu

how much do you spend on curriculum

We had a couple of big-ticket items for two of the three schooled kids, and I threw in ds's nursery school tuition ($600/yr) as well. The total was just under $2900. :blink:

This year, we're on track for about $1200-1500, not including nursery tuition.

I'm not exactly sure. I know we spend somewhere around $500-$700 in one big ordering spree, usually in late spring/early summer. This order usually includes most of our curriculum and major supplies for the year. Then, throughout the year we buy things as we need them: a cursive workbook when print becomes boring, the next spelling book when we fly through the first one, incidental art supplies and an item here or there for a science project, an interesting book that has been highly recommended, etc. So we probably do spend around $1,000 by the time the year is over. And it will probably increase as ds joins us in formal studies over the next year or two. This year purchases for him included Kumon Workbooks, Handwriting Without Tears books and supplies and a few other things to help him learn letters, and Singapore Earlybird Math 1A&B.

This is just an estimate. I included the 2 larger orders we made in the fall (inc. preschool materials), many supplies (paper, notebooks, colored pencils, crayons, etc). Also icluding the United Streaming membersip. I would say the older 2 were probably more like $600 ea., and little one more like $300.

FWIW, I almost never BUY reading books - not much of a home library. We use the public library extensively (we have a good one, we a inter-library system and all). I will buy reference books like dictionaries, encyclopedias, etc, most others not.

Our bigger expense for HS'ing is activities. In thinking about this, I figure we spend at LEAST $2500 on activities and memberships. A big chunk of this is the weekly HS gymastics class which we do all school year (3 sessions) for all 3 of my kids (even 3yo!). They love it - it's the highlight of their week! And we are blessed to be able to afford it. There's also things like swimming lessons, museum memberships, other misc. classes, etc. It all adds up.

So total "expenses" for 2.5 (preschooler added in there!) kids is likely about $4k or more.

HTH! GL - Stacey in MA

This coming year it is about $1500.00. That is for a first and 3rd grader. Next year I hope it will be a little(or a lot) less. This year I bought everything new...that's a first for me. But, I did find that this past year I have no idea what I actually spent because I kept buying books all year long! Now, all my books are on the shelves reading to go! Next year I am planning to buy some things used to lesson costs. I now have a very long list in my purse of books I will need over the next 2 years. On that list is also the price I can get them for at Amazon or at whever else i get them from...that way I won't spend more on them thean I should! Hopefully this stratedgy will work! Okay, that is way more than you asked!

I budget $50 a month for my two, which includes all the books we use (including free reading novels for our home library). However, occasionally, I do go over that budget - for instance, I've been buying a lot of books for our library these past couple of weeks, so I've probably spent about $150-$200 more than what's in the budget.

Less than $1000 but it's due to go up to $1200 or so when my younger hits K next year. Also, I've decided to buy all new programs next year to support my fave HS company.

I try to buy used whenever I can, unless it is something that I can buy through Peacehill Press. I try and support them whenever I can because I'm so thankful for these boards.

It's hard to say, because the money I make from books I sell goes back into the curriculum fund, but so far, I've spent probably close to $200 for CW Aesop and poetry, Harvey's grammar, Ray's arithmetic, MUS Epsilon and Zeta TM's and MP Christian Studies, and Beginning Thinking Skills. I still need MUS E and Z student books and manipulatives, science, reading, supplies. I'm taking $350 to the convention this weekend and hoping to get as much for my money as I can.

So, long story longer, as little as possible and still get exactly what I want. Dollar figure? Maybe $500, not counting tuition for sewing class and music class.

I spend about $2500/year out of pocket for religious curriculum and stuff for the schoolroom, extra books, ALEKS, and catechesis.

But I also receive $1400 per year for each child from our charter school, which with four kids gives me $5600 for any secular curriculum, art supplies, science kits, extracurricular activities like ballet and karate, etc. I try to choose curriculum that I can keep, like softcover books, so I can reuse it the next year. Hardcover books must be returned. The trade off for this is that I meet monthly with a certificated teacher for about 2 1/2 hours to go over what we did that month, and we also participate in standardized testing every year. So far, the benefits of the extra money have far outweighed the inconvenience of the meetings. Our teacher is actually very nice, and at times has had some helpful suggestions.

I would definitely spend less if it was all "my" money I was spending. I do try to buy responsibly, with lots of research and consideration, but I've still got some expensive duds on my shelves. I'm hoping to sell them this summer to a family for whom they might be a better fit, and then I'll fold that money into our budget.

We buy curriculum at tax time when we have the money from our tax return. I have budgeted $1500 the last couple of years...last year we spent a couple hundred more...this year a couple hundred less. This is for all of our subjects, including the reference books and hard to find readers for Biblioplan. I buy most everything new except for books...a lot of those we buy used.

We put $100 into a sinking fund for homeschooling expenses, and usually manage to spend it all.

But then I argue with myself as to what is a homeschooling expense. Art museum membership? Symphony tickets? Chapter books for free reading?

So at least $1200 per year.

Maybe $200 a year for three grammar level students and a preschooler. This does not include all of the books we buy them as gifts for Christmas and such, plus my sister and dad have really gotten into the homeschooling thing and often send our school a gift every holiday. Last Christmas my parents gave us a microscope, and for Easter, my sister sent a cool bottle science kit.

Before...a few years back...a ton.

Now...I like to think it's about $500 tops for the year for 2 kids...K'er and 3rd.

I try to get second hand when I can, and sell off what we don't need or when we're done. I don't hang onto stuff anymore.

Tab

This year I am budgeting about $3300. OUr income tax refund and the "economic stimulus package".

What we spend has drastically gone up since one of my kids has started high school. There's a lot I'm not comfortable teaching so we are starting to add in online classes.

We are doing Sonlight for history but I try to buy all of the books used.

Until this past year, I usually spend about 1500 for 3 kids. Hopefully, this will go down when my younger one starts to get to the point where we can reuse curriculum.

melissa

My budget is $1200.00/year. I use it all, but I'm able to buy whatever "extras" I desire. I could do it for much less. A lot of what I spend is on books. Our local library is an old one room schoolhouse. It's quaint, but doesn't have many books! :)

Last year I spent about $1300 for curriculum. This is for 2 elementary age dc.

This year I am trying to be a little more careful. I have gotten into the habit of overbuying, and consequently have quite a few "shelfwarming" items. I would like to sell the excess but don't have enough posts yet to do that here!

Last year I spent $325.00 for 4 kids. $200 of that was to pay for a Dallas Library card (we don't live in Dallas so we can't get a free card but their library system is much larger than ours.)

So far this year I've spent about $75. In 2006, I spent $1238.00 for 5 kids. A lot of that was wasted money because I ended up not using a lot of the curriculum I bought. I did sell it and got some of my money back.

Over the last eight years I've averaged $600 a year for 4-5 kids.

Susan in TX

I haven't kept a real strict accounting until Jan of this yearwhen I started writing everything down - music lessons, supplies, printer ink and curriculum... this year $1000 more or less, for one 2nd grade DS

So far for next year, $250.

Well, I think I only spend around $750. I say "only" because I thought I was spending a lot! I think I am quite generous with myself in actually owning a lot of our books rather than using the library. I don't really keep tabs on it, and buy as we need rather than all at the beginning, so it may very well be closer to $1000.

I'm not including extracurriculars, because the kids would do this whether or not we homeschooled, but I allow about $100 per month on that. DS's soccer will be going up significantly in a year or so, though.

This year so far, less than $500 planned for the basics for 2 children.This is much less than I usually spend.Usually I spend around $1000.I'm planning to rely a bit more on the library,internet,and what books and supplies we have already at home.

I will be spending about $3000 this fall. I will have 3 high schoolers, one middle schooler, and one still in elementary. I'm finding that the things I want for high school are pretty pricey, so I'm spending a lot right now, but most of it is non-consumable (i.e. Teaching Co lecture videos, etc) and will be used for all 5 dc in their turn. That $3000 will probably include the least expensive laptop computer I can find, since mine is dying and I have 3 dc doing internet-based math with Thinkwell. I'm not including the money I spend on music lessons in that $3000, because I don't necessarily consider that a homeschool expense. I'd be paying that no matter where my dc went to school.

I think I've spent around $700 for next year for a Ker and 2nd grader... but that doesn't include EPGY, which is tuition based (we get financial aid which helps), or activies like Karate. I tend to buy new curriculum, but we use the library a lot as well for supplementary reading.

As little as possible. Last year I spent $426.00 on books. I probably spend another $75-100 on co-op classes and another 50-100 on field trips.

This year so far:

$167.00, 32 of that was for a Symphony field trip and 25 was for our co-op fee for the fall. Hopefully for the fall it will be less, I already have MFW RTR that I pieced together a year ago and I just need to buy grammar books yet and one science workbook.

Kristine

• 3 weeks later...

I have one bulk purchase which is about $800/year but that includes games, readers, etc. Then I buy throughout the year as I feel we need (and sometimes want) things. I've estimated that for K/4th grade (3rd and preschool is already bought and here) we'll spend around $1500 b/c I didn't bring my oldest home until after K, then the cost should drop off a bit. After next year I'll have all 4 year plans from Tapestry so I'll be done with that cost.

library fines...ugh...(really don't want to tabulate THAT!)

:lol: I'm glad I'm not the only one! I think instead of frowning at me when they tell me yet again that my account has been suspended due to fines, they should thank me profusely for the amount of money I give them!

They suspend when you have $15 in fines, with 25c per book per day it doesn't take long to get to $15 thats for sure.

I just tallied up a couple of days ago.

So far this year $2300 for books and curricula

I still need to spend $700 for other things for the remainder of the year (we are in Australia, so ends in December)

Next year it should be $2000 tops, with a few things from this year still in use.

Music and sports would probably add another $3000 or so.

At the moment everything gets stockpiled for use again with DD. It will be nice to be able to start Using it instead of having to buy for all 3 each year and even nicer when I can start selling off to recoup some of the cost.