Menu

What is summer school like in your area?

Our brick and mortar summer school is for students who have failed a class and remediation for state standardized tests, which need to be passed to advance or graduate. There are virtual classes which are not just for credit recovery. Many students take their PE/health credit this way.

Yes, In fact, dd just finished summer school today. She took PE so she would be able to take an extra elective during the year.

A lot of kids here do take summer classes to get ahead. In fact, it's sometimes recommended by their teachers. Summer school runs 4 days a week, 4 hours a day for 4 weeks, with July 4th as a school holiday. During that time you can take 2 classes, the first from 7am-11am, stay on campus for lunch, then the 2nd from 11:30am-3:30pm. Makes for a long day during the summer.

Ava

Our HS is the only school in town open (for budget reasons) in summer, but there is some nice programming. Some are remedial, but many are enrichment, or for a 'leg up'. One of mine attended a portfolio prep class for two weeks. I attended a strings concert the other day and was impressed. Basically, they don't want kids to lose skill over the summer. There is a fee, but it will be waived if asked, so nobody who wants to do this is left out. There are many different classes. There are also sports clinics through the summer.

Edited by LibraryLover

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in one of the wealthiest counties in the nation. Our district includes the high school that was picked recently to be the number 1 public high school in the country. We used to have extensive summer school offerings. Lots of remedial and lots of courses for kids who wanted to get ahead in credits. Because of budget issue the district dropped brick and mortar summer school entirely this year. They are offering an online summer school which is mostly meant for kids to repeat a failed class. I think it's took bad. I don't understand the cost issues. Summer school classes were not free, but I guess they did not charge students the true cost.

summer school here is for students that failed a class during the regular school year. Dd who went to public school for 3 marking periods this year for 9th grade is surprised that so many of her friends had to attend summer school (dd made the honor roll all 3 marking periods, only about 10 to 20% of students get on the honor roll at this school but she is still surprised that so many actually failed classes).