Menu

Biology: Gr 9 Biology: A Self-Teaching Guide/Aplogia/other

Now that algebra and Latin appear to be planned (Dolciani and Wheelocks, the latter to be followed by Oxford), I'm gearing up to think through biology. In the second edition of WTM, which I borrowed from the library as I'm holding out for the 3rd edition before I rebuy (if there will be one) SWB's main recommendation is the Biology: A Self-Teaching Guide although Apolgia is listed as an alternative. I'll number the questions to make it easier to see as there are a number of them here.

1. Has anyone used the self-teaching one by Steven D Garber (in the Wiley's series)?

2. If so, how did it work?

3. Would it work well for a student who plans to major in science.

She will need to do lab work, and there are a couple of recommendations in WTM, but feel free to recommmend any others you know are good.

4. How about Apologia?

5. Would Apologia be well-suited for a would-be science major?

6. I know Apologia is Christian, but does it have a stronger Protestant or Catholic slant?

7. How would Apologia work for a fairly independent learner?

Dh has a major in Forest Management, and I have a minor in animal biology, so we can help her reasonably well.

8.Are there other good, solid programs?

I'd rather not spend a fortune on science books as we will need to get a microscope, etc, but do want to ensure she'll get what she needs.

I bought the self teach guides, and when I looked at them I realised that there is no way that I can teach it. it looks as if the books are meant to go with a course or may be a tutor. they aren't self teach guides at all! they don't explained things very well, they move too quickly through the topics, and they have the answers right under the questions.????

I bought them for my son to start this year, but are now going to buy the Apologia, which is a self teach book. pages of information, then the questions.

MelissaL

just re-looked at your questions.

you can look at the scope and sequence of Apologia at their web sight. not sure on the protestant / catholic question. I know it has a large section pulling apart evolution.

one thing I noted though;

the Apologia covers Mendel's laws, and the willies self teach guide doesn't mention it at all.

the self teach guide has a large section on human reproduction. and the apologia doesn't mention it at all.

the Apoilgea offers advanced books for year 12

the best thing would to know someone with the books so you could look at them.

MelissaL

We never got to use it, but I purchased "Holt Biology - Visualizing Life". My dd went to ps in 10th.

I really, really like the text. It is clearly laid out and thorough, IMO. I bought it used - it's the one with a lion on the cover. ISBN# 0-03-016723-X

I will be using Holt Bio next year.

We have Campbell's and ALL the supporting materials, but we will not be using it for two reasons:

1) Ds has no interest in biology, so I don't see the point in using a difficult and time-intensive AP text with him;

2) The Holt supporting materials look VERY easy to use. We will be supplementing with the Thinkwell lectures, but I think I have fully planned the course, and I have only spent a few hours looking over the material.

I will say that Campbell's is an EXCELLENT text. You should be aware, however, that it is a college-level text that is frequently used for AP courses. It would be too difficult for many if not most 9th graders. If your child is up for the challenge and is interested enough in biology to merit the increased time commitment, GO FOR IT!

"In the second edition of WTM, which I borrowed from the library as I'm holding out for the 3rd edition before I rebuy (if there will be one) SWB's main recommendation is the Biology: A Self-Teaching Guide although Apolgia is listed as an alternative. I'll number the questions to make it easier to see as there are a number of them here.

1. Has anyone used the self-teaching one by Steven D Garber (in the Wiley's series)?

2. If so, how did it work?"

We used the Self-Teaching Guide. I really disliked it, but dc said they wanted to do it. They added plenty of outside reading, reports, and an experiment here and there to it. That's the only thing that 'saved' it, IMO.

"4. How about Apologia?"

We looked at Apologia and didn't like it. Sloppy use of the scienctific language, dh said.

As a side note, I found it interesting that 19yod took the Iowa test not long ago (her idea, not mine) and scored in the high 90's in science. Her other scores were no surprise to me, but I *was* surprised how high the science. I was already thinking that science was one of those subjects that aren't really subjects, and this more of less confirmed it for me :) Anyway, HTH.

KathyP

Eliana,

Absolutely! The Holt Exploring Life is not an AP text. If my son were interested/capable of doing AP work, we would use Campbell's text, but since he is not a super-motivated student and he will only be in 9th grade, we are going the clearly non-AP route.

I didn't get the impression that the original poster was interested in an AP course. If she were planning on going the AP route, I would strongly recommend the Campbell's text.

Since someone has recommended the Campbell text, I was just trying to caution the OP that the Campbell text is VERY advanced and not to be used by the faint-of-heart!

I am sorry if my post was not clear!

Wow -- I had NO idea that Campbell wrote so many texts! He must be a busy guy!

Thank you for explaining about all the Campbell texts. I thought that he just wrote the one AP text and had no idea that he had a main-stream 9th grade text as well.

Thanks for clarifying!

:)

Campbell has 4 different Biology textbooks - the big one, Biology, and the one he is best known for, is an AP text, and a *really* fabulous one.. and is used in college 200 level Bio classes.

His Biology: Concepts and Connections is also a college text, often used in 100 level Bio courses for non science majors, and makes an easier AP text.

His Essential Biology is even simpler, but is really a further simplification of the original text, and not a good primary text for any class, imnsho.

His Biology: Exploring Life is a high school text, and is *perfect* for and 9th grade student. It can be a solid foundation for a rigorous AP course, or the only bio class a student ever takes.

Wow -- I had NO idea that Campbell wrote so many texts!

Adding to the confusion, of course, is that each book seems to be updated every couple of years, hence the cover variations. Additionally, biology teachers have their own code for the books. "Campbell" means the massive tome, whereas "Baby Campbell" means, well, I don't know. On the AP Listserv one often reads things like "The Dragonfly text works as well as Baby Campbell." Every discipline has its own code!

Jane

Thank you for these posts. If Apologia has sloppy terms, then I will be unhappy with it as I'm rather fussy about language (you can't tell from my posts, I'm sure). As for evolution, I'm planning to have dd read Darwin's Origin of Species as well as other scientific and theological explanations of the orgins of life (and of the world.) We may not accept the theory of evolution (that was another thread!!!) but she ought to know what it is.

I am going to my very first homeschool conference this spring and will try to look at as many books there as I am able when I'm not in workshops (I plan to go to at least 2 workshops, maybe more). I've already seen a couple copies of Wheelock's Latin (different editions) and will look for these textbooks in our library network as well. But if it's like Algebra, they'll have many poor to middling texts and very few good ones.

We used the high school bio book with the dragonfly on the cover. It was free from the swop shop at the dump GRIN. I didn't exactly go out comparing textbooks. I found it a little frustrating in spots because it lacked enough detail to be able to figure out what was really going on. I resorted to my mother for the miosis/mitosis bit, but that might just be that I never had biology. There were whole chapters we had covered in middle school using How Nature Works and books in the children's section of the library. Other chapters, like the one on chemistry, we needed to suppliment our natural history. My son did the human anatomy portion along with magazine articles and the colouring book for half a credit of human anatomy in 10th grade. In general, it was colourful, interesting, and not too hard.

-Nan

• 5 months later...

After lots of research, I felt that Campbell 's Exploring Life with, at least, the accompanying lab manual is the best option out there for a solid 1st year of high school biology.

Here's the publisher's website.

Eliana,

How many labs did you do from the EL lab manual? Did you need any special equipment?

Are you the one here that also likes virtual labs? Maybe that is Ellie...

Thanks!!

. On the AP Listserv one often reads things like "The Dragonfly text works as well as Baby Campbell." Every discipline has its own code!

Jane

Just a couple of tidbits that might be interesting:

The "Dragonfly" book isn't a Campbell book...the authors are Miller and Levine.

Btw, Campbell is now deceased. The publisher continues with the spin offs though!!

Another big fan of the big Campbell for AP.

Mary

Thanks, Eliana! I really appreciate your detailed post. Like Beth, I am doing Exploring Life Bio and am doing a weekly lab session with my son and two of his friends (they are using Apologia). We tesed Antacids today, and we are in the midst of soil testing. Enzymes, here we come!

Blessings,

April

Wow, Eliana -- Thank you! This is extremely helpful. Which microscope do you recommend from HST?

Anna,

I think we are all using the one w/ the lizard eye on the front.

http://www.pearsonschool.com/index.cfm?locator=PSZ3R9&PMDbSiteID=2781&PMDbSolutionID=6724&PMDbProgramId=22021&level=4&prognav=po

I bought the text, tests w/ answers, activity CD, student workbook for under $50'ish from various Amazon sources.

We are using the Thinkwell Bio lectures also ($20). I'm still figuring out labs. I"m about ready to purchase a microscope and supplies any day now. Decisions, decisions :)

Concepts and Connections in 11th grade this year. So far she's been doing really pretty well with the material.

We did use Apologia in 9th grade, mostly because for me (Mom) it was very easy to use and written to the student. We do believe in God as the creator, but I think we (dh and I) would be more in the category of believing in old-earth creation or intelligent design. Apologia didn't bother me in that regard. We also used Apologia for chemistry last year, so I can't compare it to Campbell's Exploring Life. I think it's good that the Campbell's text she's using this year has the discussions on evolution, because I know she'll encounter that in college.

I would say that, using this text, I'm very glad my oldest had the prior years of both biology and chemistry. I think she had a good introduction to biology in 9th grade; we did do many labs and dissections. Also, having the year of chemistry last year really seems to be helping her with understanding the reading and concepts this year in the Concepts and Connections book, because she told me that there was some discussion about chemistry in one of her chapters.

Thanks for all the new information added this week!

This is why I LOVE these new tabs (plus the subscription ability). I went & added some to a few really good old science threads I'd subscribed to last winter & spring (started by various people) and, voila, now there's some more fabulous information here for me when we do actually purchase Biology for gr. 10. I think

I would say that, using this text, I'm very glad my oldest had the prior years of both biology and chemistry. I think she had a good introduction to biology in 9th grade; we did do many labs and dissections. Also, having the year of chemistry last year really seems to be helping her with understanding the reading and concepts this year in the Concepts and Connections book, because she told me that there was some discussion about chemistry in one of her chapters.

This is exactly why I believe in learning about Chemistry first, then Biology, then Physics. Physics because of the harder Math. Chemistry is the study of the building blocks of life (this from a non-science major!).

[

We did use Apologia in 9th grade,

Michelle,

How will you report this on transcripts? Bio 1 & Advanced Bio?

My ds looked over all our bio materials today and thinks ds should take at least 2 years to hit all this material, especially at his young age. We'll probably stick w/ our original plan to do Bio "lite" this year. Chem next year for 9th. Then Bio for credit in 10th. How does that sound?

Thanks!!

This is the one we have (and love), but it is more than is needed for 9th grade bio. (I like HST's article on selecting a microscope; I think their guidelines are really right on.) ...but we went really cheap on the dissecting microscope (this one).

Wow, you are a big spender! :)

I was hoping for one under $200.

Thanks for the feedback. You are a blessing!

Did you have your dc make vocab cards for the "key terms" in EL?

I really want to synchronize Thinkwell w/ the EL chapters. The Thinkwell lectures are obviously following a different syllabus.

Michelle,

How will you report this on transcripts? Bio 1 & Advanced Bio?

My ds looked over all our bio materials today and thinks ds should take at least 2 years to hit all this material, especially at his young age. We'll probably stick w/ our original plan to do Bio "lite" this year. Chem next year for 9th. Then Bio for credit in 10th. How does that sound?

Thanks!!

her transcript will look---Biology for 9th grade, Chemistry for 10th grade, and Advanced Biology for 11th grade.

Depending on what you use for chemistry, your ds should be fine, especially if he's at least completed Algebra I, so that he understands the principles of balancing equations. I'm really glad we sandwiched chemistry in between the two biologies.

The Campbell's book my oldest is using is very good, and I agree completely with Eliana about Home Science Tools---they are an excellent homeschooling resource; I've ordered from them several times and have always had good customer service.

Eliana,

Absolutely! The Holt Exploring Life is not an AP text. If my son were interested/capable of doing AP work, we would use Campbell's text, but since he is not a super-motivated student and he will only be in 9th grade, we are going the clearly non-AP route.

I didn't get the impression that the original poster was interested in an AP course. If she were planning on going the AP route, I would strongly recommend the Campbell's text.

Since someone has recommended the Campbell text, I was just trying to caution the OP that the Campbell text is VERY advanced and not to be used by the faint-of-heart!

I am sorry if my post was not clear!

I am confused. I am holding the Campbell Exploring Life text in my hand right now and it is published by Prentice Hall not Holt. It has a reptile eye on the cover. Is this the same book you are referring to?

I think Eliana meant to say PH, not Holt.

How are you liking EL?

Beth,

We haven't actually started this one yet. I am looking at starting in Dec. and going through the summer. I was planning on this child taking biology as dual credit at community college next semester but she doesn't want to do that so it looks like we will be making a lab in the kitchen. Oh, goody! Yay! Do I sound enthusiastic? I'm tryin'. What is it Kelli says, "Fake it 'til you make it!" :tongue_smilie:

• 2 weeks later...
I think the quoting might have gotten mixed up, b/c I don't think I mentioned a publisher at all - I'm *so* bad at brand names, even for texts, that I try to avoid using them unless I have the book in front of me and can be sure I am getting it right!

....but yes, KidsHappen, the book I have has a reptile eye on the front and a publisher's name beginning with a "P" sounds very familiar....

No, it was Gwen who said Holt and no one corrected so I was confused. Thanks. :)

• 3 months later...