Menu

You know what's funny?

Rachel in KY

I'm agonizing over our seventh grade math jump from six (seven, if you count kindergarten) years of Singapore to some sort of pre-algebra course. I have Chalk Dust pre algebra and Lial's should be on the way.

Upon perusing the various plans for seventh grade on this board, it seems there are as many math curricula as stars in the sky, with no one choice standing out as The Most Popular.

And then there's the is-7th-grade-too-young-for-pre-algebra? issue. What about Lial's BCM? So much depends on the student and what sort of learner he/she is, whether math is a "good" subject for them, etc.

I guess we'll figure it out.

Off to order LOF pre algebra and to eat a pan of brownies....

I'm in the same boat. Well, sort of. I'm in the "is my child old enough for pre-algebra" camp. She is finishing Saxon 7/6 and is desperate to take pre-algebra (in a local class that uses Saxon), but I can't decide if she's ready or not. She does fine in math, but I remember taking pre-algebra as a 12 year old and I wasn't developmentally ready. But she's not me....*sigh*

Pass the brownies, please.

Just wondering why more Singapore users don't simply carry on with NEM or the other Singapore maths for higher grades. Is it mostly that American homeschoolers want more of an American sequence or something else?

If Singapore got them this far, why not stick with it?

IMHO, if your daughter has finished Singapore 6, she's definitely ready for pre-algebra, if not algebra. There's a lot of pre-algebra hiding in SM 6...

:iagree: And would add that she could go right on into NEM 1 (to throw another option on the buffet line of math programs)