Menu

outsourcing and online classes...best subject to start with and how many per child?

Ok, I am freaking out as this year is my first of the HS years....I like many of those that I have read about are stresses that I can't do it, haven't done enough so far, don't have the energy,know-how etc. to do it all. After a much needed pep-talk/therapy session with friend(thanks, Krista!!!! as always!), I have decided to give online classes a go. Now, just when I thought my stress level would drop, I realize that I have to decide which classes to try, which online school to consider and how many classes to try with 2 boys(one going into 8th and one going into 9th). I have read several previous posts on this subject and gained some good advice.

This is what I am considering...trying 2 classes per child. I am leaning towards Runkle Geography thru Potter with both boys...something fun and one that I saw that was recommended by others.

Second, I am feeling like I need to consider math as we ALL struggle on math...in a major way so I need one that is good for those of us who remain lost in the math zone and break the whining. Does anyone have a recommendation for that?

Third, I am considering either science or a second language. Science because my kids LOVE science and I want something fun for them. Spanish because we haven't done it and I can't do it on my own with them. Is it too much to try to do both?

Finally, I want to say I feel comfort in coming to these boards as I sense many of you feel my insecurity/fear/confusion when it comes to teaching my kids in these upper grades. As I told dear friend, I just wish someone could tell me what to do...it becomes so overwhelming. Thanks for any advice/recommendations of classes. I am already seeing that I am probably late for some of the classes this semester but if any of you have specific instructors/classes that your kids LOVED...please pass info along.

I would recommend trying to classes to begin with. Some kids have trouble keeping up with a schedule/assignments on their own and if they fall behind it can get overwhelming.

Each year I decide to concentrate my efforts on 2 classes that I can teach well. I plan for these classes ahead of time and give them by best as a teacher.

I outsource at least 2 other classes. These are classes I feel inadequate to teach on my own or are totally out of my range of knowledge, but are something that would apply to my kid's future.

I use textbooks or other on your own curriculum for the other one or two classes that really aren't integral to my children's future. For us this has been history (sorry history fans).

that is why I am considering math....we all struggle with math and I worry that even with Algebra 1 that my 9th grader would be lost. He tried LOF, Videotext which he found extremely dry and landed last with VideoText which he did okay with but still found it challenging. I think trying an online class might help him but I would like them both to have something fun online as well.

I do agree 2 would be the best to begin with...

Have you thought about Thinkwell for math? The videos they use with Dr. Burger are the only ones that my daughter and I can completely understand and enjoy. They're short and sweet and humorous.

I'm planning on using Thinkwell for Ag 2 next yr. We made it through Alg 1 OK with the videos from Hotmath.com (These are Dr. Burger as well and are only $29) and a traditional text. Thinkwell would probably cost less than an online course.

DD took precal with Veritas Press. The only time she had trouble was when she went through a period of goofing off and that was her own fault.

Ok, I am freaking out as this year is my first of the HS years....I like many of those that I have read about are stresses that I can't do it, haven't done enough so far, don't have the energy,know-how etc. to do it all. After a much needed pep-talk/therapy session with friend(thanks, Krista!!!! as always!), I have decided to give online classes a go. Now, just when I thought my stress level would drop, I realize that I have to decide which classes to try, which online school to consider and how many classes to try with 2 boys(one going into 8th and one going into 9th). I have read several previous posts on this subject and gained some good advice.

This is what I am considering...trying 2 classes per child. I am leaning towards Runkle Geography thru Potter with both boys...something fun and one that I saw that was recommended by others.

Second, I am feeling like I need to consider math as we ALL struggle on math...in a major way so I need one that is good for those of us who remain lost in the math zone and break the whining. Does anyone have a recommendation for that?

Third, I am considering either science or a second language. Science because my kids LOVE science and I want something fun for them. Spanish because we haven't done it and I can't do it on my own with them. Is it too much to try to do both?

Finally, I want to say I feel comfort in coming to these boards as I sense many of you feel my insecurity/fear/confusion when it comes to teaching my kids in these upper grades. As I told dear friend, I just wish someone could tell me what to do...it becomes so overwhelming. Thanks for any advice/recommendations of classes. I am already seeing that I am probably late for some of the classes this semester but if any of you have specific instructors/classes that your kids LOVED...please pass info along.

Virtual Homeschool Group has free classes. Our dd has done the Apologia science classes and has loved them! This Fall she'll be taking the Saxon Advanced Math. Here's the website address: http://www.virtualhomeschoolgroup.com/

There are live classes that usually meet on T, W, Th and also recorded classes that you can do at your own pace. Open office hours are available for students to get their questions answered - whether they're in the live class or recorded. I know there are other classes offered aside from Science and Math, we just haven't availed ourselves of them. Every year classes are added or taken away as needed. This is a true "ministry" to the home schooled community. It is free but they do accept donations to help pay for the servers and online classrooms.

that is why I am considering math....we all struggle with math and I worry that even with Algebra 1 that my 9th grader would be lost. He tried LOF, Videotext which he found extremely dry and landed last with VideoText which he did okay with but still found it challenging. I think trying an online class might help him but I would like them both to have something fun online as well.

I do agree 2 would be the best to begin with...

I would make sure your online math class has real support via email or phone.

My preference would not be to do math with a group. Both of my kids just needed to sit a while in some algebra topics, and if they had been in a class that just plowed on forward, I would have worried that their understanding would not have been as solid. But some of that could be overcome if there was direct help -- and provided they only have two classes, as recommended, so their other courses could be put on hold once or twice during the year while the student really conquers a difficult math topic (and keeps up with the class).

Another option for Algebra is Math Relief, which I really think is as good as a class, but I understand if it's a class you're looking for.

Julie

I am freaking out with you...:001_huh:

No real review yet, but I am going to use Derek Owens (distance learning) for 9th grade Physics this year. He also had Physical Science and Math classes.

Jann in TX has online math classes. You'll have to search for her website.

This might be helpful:

A list of awesome online classes your kids are taking this year?

Since you're already considering The Potter's School (TPS), how about talking with their math teachers! I think two classes are a good number to try at those ages, and TPS math classes have an optional 2nd session each week with extra practice problems & any questions (no new material). It's my understanding that the teacher will also be available for questions during the rest of the week.

Dd had 2 online classes last year -- Latin and writing (both good experiences), and Algebra 1 at TPS is one of the ones she will be taking this coming year!

[

Jann in TX has online math classes. You'll have to search for her website.

I found her website thru WTM and contacted her and we have talked via emails for the last two days. My 2 sons are going to be taking an Algebra class with her this fall! So, I have started the process and just hope the rest of my schedule comes together as I have spent way too much time today online reading posts and trying to make more subject choices. I am considering Potter's school and enrolling them in Runkle's geography...heard it was a good geography to use. I am also considering science online but not sure what and where! good luck on your journey!

I also wanted to suggest History at our House. Because your boys are in 8th and 9th, they would both be in the junior high (7th-8th-9th) class. Because they would both be in the same class, there is only 1 fee for the both of them. It might be easier financially.

do you know anyone personally that has used this program? I definitely am interested in a class where there is one fee for both. Jann actually gave me a 2nd student discount for the Algebra which was a surprise. I will do a search and see if I can find reviews on History at our House as I haven't heard of it before. Thanks again.

do you know anyone personally that has used this program? I definitely am interested in a class where there is one fee for both. Jann actually gave me a 2nd student discount for the Algebra which was a surprise. I will do a search and see if I can find reviews on History at our House as I haven't heard of it before. Thanks again.

Yes, we used it in 8th grade for European History and plan to continue with it in 9th grade for American History.

There are a few of us who use it. Here is one thread.

If you email me, I can send you more information.