Menu

Requesting prayer for my mom

Please pray for my mom. She has had heart problems since childhood as a result of rheumatic fever. She has atrial fibrillation -- erratic, rapid heartbeat -- which has been controlled with medication. However, she has been having several "episodes" lately.

Mama is a widow; my siblings and I all live 30 minutes to an hour from her. This week, we are on spring break and she has been visiting our family. She woke me up just before 5:00 this morning because she had been having another episode of rapid hearbeat (since about 2:30 AM) and felt like she was about to pass out, even while lying in bed. Dh & I drove her straight to the emergency room, where they gave her medication to slow the heart rate, and then observed her for several hours. Her doctor (who practices at a large hospital in a nearby city) says that the EKG indicates that she could experience a stroke if this continues to happen. He plans to change her medication and has scheduled her for an appointment for 3 weeks from today (not sure why the wait -- ???).

PLEASE, PLEASE pray for her! This is VERY scary. My dad died suddenly & unexpectedly of a heart attack in 2001, and Mama's health problems are causing some extreme fears for her and us!

She was planning to visit for a few days this week & was planning to go home today. She's going to have to stay with us until at least tomorrow. I'm a bit afraid for her to be out on the road, though; it's an hour's drive from our house to hers.

Sweetie, how scary! Your mother will be in my thoughts and prayers - keep us posted, okay?

I assume the delay is because the risk in these cases is a cumulative one - though I too would be very worried about her travel time.

She has a ride, yes? If her A-fib isn't all the way under control, I would be really, really worried about having her drive herself.

Has she been given any tools or suggestions about intervention during an episode? Does a Valsalva maneuver help at all? (there are some other vagal maneuvers which help some folks with certain arrhythmias - I was taught a carotid sinus massage, but some say only professionals should do it, and with *all* of these and Md should be consulted before trying them,) I take homeopathic aconite during some types of tachycardia episodes, sometimes it can take the edge off the episode (I have seen no demonstrable mechanism for homeopathic remedies, but I have seen them work, even on some skeptics, so I am a tentative fan.)

I can only begin to imagine how terrifying this is given how you lost your dad! One small consolation: since you know she has a problem, she can get the help she needs for a good outcome! So today's episode could be seen as an enormous blessing.. it is getting her taken care of, G-d willing.

That doesn't help much, does it? :grouphug: Hang in there, my dear.

Archived